cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Card application during temporary score boost?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New Card application during temporary score boost?

This is my first time posting so please let me know if I miss important background info.

I recently consolodated my credit card debt (15k) into a discover personal loan and noticed today that the payoffs to all of my cards have posted on my report. The personal loan is not showing up yet, resulting in a credit score boost to 760. Long story short I have a plan to pay off the personal loan in 2 years and would like a card to put my daily expenses on and PIF each month than earns decent cash back or rewards. Should I use this temporary score boost to apply for a new rewards card? My existing cards all have some rewards, but it seems like the BofA Cash rewards card would be more beneficial. 

My current cards include:

Discover IT 17.99%, $6,500 limit

PNC Points 15.99%,  $8,000 limit

Capital One QuickSilver 22.24%, $2,250 limit

3 department store cards that I am just keeping open for perks and credit age.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Priory_Man
Valued Contributor

Re: New Card application during temporary score boost?

TBH, No.
I would pick one of the 3 cards you have that has the most benefit to you and use it. Or PC one of them into a more beneficial card.
If you app for a new card you are going to ping your score with a hard pull, drop your AAoA and then the loan will hit dropping you again.

"Total revolving credit $286,000 Current UTIL >1%"
Message 2 of 12
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Welcome, @Anonymous. Smiley Happy

From the perspective of your credit report, scores, and optimization of rewards, I think it definitely makes sense to apply for a card. The more important part is budgetary. You definitely want to follow through on your commitment to pay in full.

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm assuming those are interest rates? If so, give those a couple of months of 0 balance/PiF to restore your grace period then start using one of them.

Personally, I would only apply for a new card if I had addressed what lead to the accumulation of two years of debt.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

IT is a decent category reward card, QS is a decent baseline non-cat reward card. They should cover you well right now.

Now, if you have particular large spending category you want to get better reward for, do let us know what is your monthly/annual spending break down.

@Anonymous wrote:

This is my first time posting so please let me know if I miss important background info.

I recently consolodated my credit card debt (15k) into a discover personal loan and noticed today that the payoffs to all of my cards have posted on my report. The personal loan is not showing up yet, resulting in a credit score boost to 760. Long story short I have a plan to pay off the personal loan in 2 years and would like a card to put my daily expenses on and PIF each month than earns decent cash back or rewards. Should I use this temporary score boost to apply for a new rewards card? My existing cards all have some rewards, but it seems like the BofA Cash rewards card would be more beneficial. 

My current cards include:

3 department store cards that I am just keeping open for perks and credit age.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ally100500: welcome to MF!
As to your question, it depends. If you have adequate willpower to control your spending and you know that you can handle another card and PIF as you said, then I believe taking advantage of the increased score to be able to get a helpful card at a better rate makes sense.
Why have to fight to get to the score for years to get the card when you can take advantage of the opportunity now?
And I wouldn’t worry about a ding to your score from 1 app and 1 account either, because what’s the point of having a higher score if you don’t use it at appropriate times anyway? Right now is your opportunity to use a higher score and get a better card at a better interest-rate. If you use that card wisely it will also help you to increase your score. (It can also help bury you if you let it by mismanagement.)
And I’m sure that you’ll receive much more advice and we look forward to your future posts.
Message 6 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

If you reports are showing 0 across the boards in debt and the pl hasnt shown up yet, i would take advantage of that small window for 1 card. Your score is going to take a hit anyway when the loan reports. One card app isnt the end of the worldSmiley Wink
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on your personal loan from Disco, OP 👏🏾

Here is my perspective. The TLs mentioned are just over $15K. The previous debt burden is nearly equal to that. Aside from the store cards, I'm assuming you were near max on some or all of the TLs mentioned...might be a bad assumption. This, along with the personal loan bailout appears to be signs of financial distress. There are always other circumstances, but solely basing this on the info provided.

If all or any of the above is true, I see no value in adding another TL, right now. I'd focus on the accounts that exist, and to echo the other poster, PC your existing accounts to meet needs. You're considering a B of A Cash Rewards which I believe is a choice category 3% card. But you already have a Capital One 1.5% every transaction card. As well as a Disco 5% category card. Understandably it's not a choice category card.

IMO, while the new account will only be a temporary drop in score, I'd focus on getting that loan balance down, and working on the discipline necessary to avoid a future debt consolidation - or worst.

Wishing you the best of luck!
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

... Should I use this temporary score boost to apply for a new rewards card?

Yes. Maybe 2 or 3. 

Message 9 of 12
Priory_Man
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Congratulations on your personal loan from Disco, OP 👏🏾

Here is my perspective. The TLs mentioned are just over $15K. The previous debt burden is nearly equal to that. Aside from the store cards, I'm assuming you were near max on some or all of the TLs mentioned...might be a bad assumption. This, along with the personal loan bailout appears to be signs of financial distress. There are always other circumstances, but solely basing this on the info provided.

If all or any of the above is true, I see no value in adding another TL, right now. I'd focus on the accounts that exist, and to echo the other poster, PC your existing accounts to meet needs. You're considering a B of A Cash Rewards which I believe is a choice category 3% card. But you already have a Capital One 1.5% every transaction card. As well as a Disco 5% category card. Understandably it's not a choice category card.

IMO, while the new account will only be a temporary drop in score, I'd focus on getting that loan balance down, and working on the discipline necessary to avoid a future debt consolidation - or worst.

Wishing you the best of luck!

This was kind of my concern too.

The loan amount borrowed was similar to the TL the OP has, adding another card if they are struggling with debt would potentially only add to that.

Life happens and we can all run up debt if the need is there, but adding temptation with a 4th useable card this early on may not be the best thing.

Excuse me OP if you feel I am been judgemental as I do not mean to be, but, my own personal experience would stop me from adding any more TL's at this time until I was sure that I had things under control.

"Total revolving credit $286,000 Current UTIL >1%"
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.