Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Chase freedom VS Discover more

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New Chase freedom VS Discover

Wouldn't Chase Freedom be a better cash back card than Discover more?  Both give 5% cash back on general categories like gas and groceries, but isn't Chase 5% cash back all year round as opposed to Discover which is quarterly?

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase is 5% rotating categories. This quarter is like home improvement stores, lawn and garden, etc.

Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got a replacement on my Starbucks Duetto Visa card in the email.   My new card is just like my Chase Freedom MC.  The difference is  VISA and does not have World  below the VISA word and does not have ____ mark (I don't know wht kind of mark is) below CHASE logo on right upper corner.   Oh and back of the card, it has blink on it instead paypass.

According to Chase CSR, the 5% Cash Back TOTAL Bonus for each three months will be posted on the statement about 6-8 wks after it's over.  Which is Jan - Mar Rewards will be posted on May or June statement.  Will see ...

* Discover  ... you will get Extra $5 and up when you redeem it for a gift card.

* Chase ... I am not sure at this moment, I hope it still come with basic Ultimate Rewards and 10/10 Bonus as banking with them.

*  With the Clothing Stores and Department Stores, it is best to double check with them about the store A is under those category or not.  It is best to make a purchase first then call them.   When they see the transaction easy for them to tell which categories are.

Chase Freedom 5% Cash BackDiscover    5%    More
Jan - MarDiningAirlines
 UtilitiesHotels
 EducationCar Rentals
 Child CareCruises
  Grocery Stores  (Special in Mar)
Apr - JunHome improvementHome Improvement
 Lawn and GardenDepartment Stores
 Home FurnishingClothing Stores
 DrugstoresRestaurants  (Special in Jun)
Jul - SepGasGas Stations 
 AirlinesHotels
 Auto RentalsMovies
 HotelsThem Parks
  (Special in    )
Oct - DecGrocery StoresRestaurants
 Department StoresDepartment Stores
 MoviesClothing Stores
  (Special in    )
Message 13 of 17
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Just to add, the caps are different in these cards' categories, too.

I just made a home improvement store purchase.  I did it on the Chase card because my Discover card offered 5% on $400 in purchases, while the Chase card allowed up to $800 in purchases at 5%.  And I'll take forty bucks over twenty any day!

Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Uborrow-Upay wrote:

Just to add, the caps are different in these cards' categories, too.

I just made a home improvement store purchase.  I did it on the Chase card because my Discover card offered 5% on $400 in purchases, while the Chase card allowed up to $800 in purchases at 5%.  And I'll take forty bucks over twenty any day!

Thanks for adding this Uborrow!    $40 in rewards ...  woohoo ... good for you   Smiley Wink

Message 15 of 17
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Bunnyrabbit, I try to milk the rewards as best I can.  Sometimes, I think I go a little overboard, though.

The purchase I made was over $2k, one item.  I wanted to split the ticket between Chase and Discover, just to grab the cap amount from each of the cards.  The poor kid at the register got confused a bit, and to make a long story short, I just put it on one card after all.

(But I sure did want that extra 20!  I'll grab every nickel I can from them).

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Uborrow-Upay wrote:

Bunnyrabbit, I try to milk the rewards as best I can.  Sometimes, I think I go a little overboard, though.

The purchase I made was over $2k, one item.  I wanted to split the ticket between Chase and Discover, just to grab the cap amount from each of the cards.  The poor kid at the register got confused a bit, and to make a long story short, I just put it on one card after all.

(But I sure did want that extra 20!  I'll grab every nickel I can from them).

That's sad!   Normally you can spread the payment.  He/She did not get other's help?  That is bad customer service.

I understand how you feel. 

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.