Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New - Looking to rebuild credit to buy a house in 18 months

tag
shols44
Frequent Contributor

Re: New - Looking to rebuild credit to buy a house in 18 months

Oh man! I wish you posted this in the BK forum instead, much more experience there. If I saw this in time, I would have said forget, BOA, target or BOW. None of these guys are BK friendly. 

This is what you need to do. 

1. Apply with capitalone. It will be a tripple pull. Odds of success are pretty high. They have a prequalify tool. If nothing pops up, apply for an unsecured card outright. If denied, then get a secured card. 

2. Consider creditone. They are horrible, but in your case you have a specific need. They have a prequalify tool, if they can't prequal you, walk away, clean...no HP. If you are prequalified, take the card, pay the horrible AF and put a reminder in your calendar to cancel it 11 months from today.

You now have 2 cards plus VS.

3. In about 5-6 months, apply for a baerclays card. (apple, priceline or NFL). The 5-6 months is important for barclays. They will need to see a few months of revolving history to approve you. 

Now you have your 3 revolving lines to maximize your score. Use all three, pay before your statement cuts down to 1-3%.

4. If you want to improve your available credit balance, add a few more shopping cart trick cards. Express, buckle, and Jcrew would be my recommendations. 

5. At the 1 year mark, app for a discover card. You should 12 months of solid history at this point. 

6. NOT ALL CU are BK friendly. Just because they are a CU doesn't mean their lending policy extends to an actively reporting BK especially in your case because you've waited so long to rebuild. My advice to you is to stick to the above plan. If you plan on joing a CU, ask in detail if they will approve with a BK reporting, if you can't get a straight answer, DO NOT APP!

Starting Score: 501
Current Score: 754 EQ,TU 745,EX 750
Goal Score: 800

Message 41 of 53
liesierre
Regular Contributor

I'll check with a local CU after I figure out the ones I already put in inquiries for.

If Bank of the West doesnt work out, I'll probably go that route.

Thank you for your help Smiley Happy

Starting Score: EQ 633 TU ? EX 623 (lender)
Current Score: EQ 702 TU 720 EX 682
Goal Score: 720

Nordstrom Credit Card $4000CL, Target Credit Card $2000CL, CapitalOne Platinum $1500CL, Comenity Diamond Elite $1700CL, Victorias Secret $650CL
Message 42 of 53
myjourney
Super Contributor

@shols44 wrote:

Oh man! I wish you posted this in the BK forum instead, much more experience there. If I saw this in time, I would have said forget, BOA, target or BOW. None of these guys are BK friendly. 

This is what you need to do. 

1. Apply with capitalone. It will be a tripple pull. Odds of success are pretty high. They have a prequalify tool. If nothing pops up, apply for an unsecured card outright. If denied, then get a secured card. 

2. Consider creditone. They are horrible, but in your case you have a specific need. They have a prequalify tool, if they can't prequal you, walk away, clean...no HP. If you are prequalified, take the card, pay the horrible AF and put a reminder in your calendar to cancel it 11 months from today.

You now have 2 cards plus VS.

3. In about 5-6 months, apply for a baerclays card. (apple, priceline or NFL). The 5-6 months is important for barclays. They will need to see a few months of revolving history to approve you. 

Now you have your 3 revolving lines to maximize your score. Use all three, pay before your statement cuts down to 1-3%.

4. If you want to improve your available credit balance, add a few more shopping cart trick cards. Express, buckle, and Jcrew would be my recommendations. 

5. At the 1 year mark, app for a discover card. You should 12 months of solid history at this point. 

6. NOT ALL CU are BK friendly. Just because they are a CU doesn't mean their lending policy extends to an actively reporting BK especially in your case because you've waited so long to rebuild. My advice to you is to stick to the above plan. If you plan on joing a CU, ask in detail if they will approve with a BK reporting, if you can't get a straight answer, DO NOT APP!

Sounds like solid advice

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 43 of 53
liesierre
Regular Contributor

sholls44 - just saw your reply. 

Gah. I feel dumb now, like I wasted a bunch of inquiries, but oh well. Trial an error.

I'll probably grab another shopping cart thing through Bill Me Now next time I use paypal (which is quite often). 

I think I'll wait 2 or 3 weeks and see what I get in the mail and whether I can wrestle a secured card out of my bank.

If none of the things I already applied for pan out (which they probably wont, but probably best to wait and see). I'll try Capital One or a Credit Union.

Hypothetically speaking, if I were to just use the VS card on small amounts and PIF for 6 months, do you think I would qualify for something better/non-secured? By the my foreclosure will drop off my reports too. 

Nordstrom Credit Card $4000CL, Target Credit Card $2000CL, CapitalOne Platinum $1500CL, Comenity Diamond Elite $1700CL, Victorias Secret $650CL
Message 44 of 53
myjourney
Super Contributor

@liesierre wrote:

sholls44 - just saw your reply. 

Gah. I feel dumb now, like I wasted a bunch of inquiries, but oh well. Trial an error.

I'll probably grab another shopping cart thing through Bill Me Now next time I use paypal (which is quite often). 

I think I'll wait 2 or 3 weeks and see what I get in the mail and whether I can wrestle a secured card out of my bank.

If none of the things I already applied for pan out (which they probably wont, but probably best to wait and see). I'll try Capital One or a Credit Union.

Hypothetically speaking, if I were to just use the VS card on small amounts and PIF for 6 months, do you think I would qualify for something better/non-secured? By the my foreclosure will drop off my reports too. 

She also has a car loan reporting

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 45 of 53
shols44
Frequent Contributor

I hear ya. Unfortunately, every move counts when your CR is not yet pristine! I know exactly how you feel. Bill me later is essentially useless for rebuilding. They don't report to your CR. Stay away from them. It will be a HP for nothing. 

Two other creditors, Carecredit (GE) and Fingerhut are also quite friendly, but I don't believe will improve your CR profile by much. What you want is revolving credit lines, and I believe the steps outlined will get you there. 

Don't wait too long to initiate your plan. When you open these accounts, it'll be good if they age together. 

Message 46 of 53
liesierre
Regular Contributor

Okay so no dice on Bill Me Later...

When should I try CapitalOne? Now or after I hear from Bank of the West and Target?

Message 47 of 53
shols44
Frequent Contributor

I would say go for it right away. Capone is far more likely than the other banks. I would do capone and creditone simultaneously right away. I don't think waiting will change anything. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. 

Message 48 of 53
liesierre
Regular Contributor

I'm not sure which Capital One card to choose

Capital One Cash
Capital One Platinum
Capital One Classic Platinum

Which one do I have the best shot at getting?

Message 49 of 53
liesierre
Regular Contributor

Well... I just picked the Cash one. It would be the most useful probably.

We'll see what happens. I should probably not apply for anything else right now.

Capital One® Card Application

Thank You!
Thank you for submitting an application for a Capital One® credit card!

Notification of approval status will be typically sent in 7 to 10 business days; however, in certain circumstances it may take up to 15 days.

In the interim, please do not submit another application, as only the first application received will be considered valid.

Message 50 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.