cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Upgrade Triple Cash Rewards Visa Card?

tag
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

New Upgrade Triple Cash Rewards Visa Card?

So I was just poking around checking my CK updates this AM and noticed a card I had not seen before. The categories it covers are VERY BROAD.

Upgrade Triple Cash Rewards Visa

• 3% unlimited cash back on Home categories (Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, Wayfair, Ikea as samples)
  • 3% unlimited cash back on Health categories (Walgreens, CVS, Academy Sports, Dicks Sporting Goods, Midway USA as samples)
  • 3% unlimited cash back on Auto categories (Tractor Supply, Discount Tire, Firestone, Tires.com, Mavis Tire as samples)
  • $0 Fees (annual, maintenance and activation) 
  • APR Range 8.99% - 29.99%

I just googled the card and can't find anything on it. All the information I found on it is within the CK app as you go thru the various links. I'm familiar with the green 1.5% card, but I had not heard anything about this one. Anybody else? It actually has a solid rewards structure 

*Mods if this was already posted somewhere please feel free to merge

Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 10.55.11 AM.png 

Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 10.55.20 AM.png 

Details found under T&C's

Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 11.11.10 AM.png 

HUGE HOME CATEGORY

Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 11.13.42 AM.png 

Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 11.14.01 AM.png 

Health includes Recreational/Golf Courses/Personal Care

Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 11.11.19 AM.png 

Auto covers almost everything auto related

Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 11.14.12 AM.png 

Message 1 of 40
39 REPLIES 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New Upgrade Triple Cash Rewards Visa Card?

Might just be a very new card, so thats why there isn't any info online. Seems like a great card. APR at worst sounds a bit high, but regardless I'd say its worth the app! 👍

Message 2 of 40
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I've never seen it before.

For the right person, that would be a great card. 

Message 3 of 40
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

@Remedios so check this out. It has a "check my credit line" function -- a preapproval link, if you will. Being a curious jerk I went thru the process. Hot Dang! 

Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 11.31.03 AM.png 

Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 11.31.13 AM.png 

Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 11.31.20 AM.png

Message 4 of 40
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

"Each Upgrade Card transaction will have a fixed payment period and a fixed APR.  If you make more than one transaction in a statement period they will be combined into one fixed payment.  The Upgrade card provides you with access to a series of closed end loans and is not a credit card."

This makes me wonder 1) whether there's a prepayment penalty, 2) whether there's a grace period, and 3) how it reports.  If all it is is a piece of plastic that preapproves you for personal loans then it might not be suited to transacting and might not be fun for your AAoA.

Message 5 of 40
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

@Slabenstein wrote:

"Each Upgrade Card transaction will have a fixed payment period and a fixed APR.  If you make more than one transaction in a statement period they will be combined into one fixed payment.  The Upgrade card provides you with access to a series of closed end loans and is not a credit card."

This makes me wonder 1) whether there's a prepayment penalty, 2) whether there's a grace period, and 3) how it reports.  If all it is is a piece of plastic that preapproves you for personal loans then it might not be suited to transacting and might not be fun for your AAoA.

I agree. I'm not super clear but it sounds like a large loan of $30k (in this case), and you're borrowing against that total amount. I dont know if it's actually a "line of credit" that is just sitting there, vs "once I deplete the $30k, then I'd have to reapply for another line". The shopping categories are useful but I think it should be approached like a large project, and using this card to "build the loan" for it

Still was nice to see them say "how about $30k?" to start the day lol 

Message 6 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Beware that like the regular Upgrade card, this seems like it would create new installment loans when you use it. 

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Upgrade-Card/td-p/5760895

Message 7 of 40
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

@Saeren wrote:

Beware that like the regular Upgrade card, this seems like it would create new installment loans when you use it. 

LOL @Saeren I was just reading thru that thread. It's funny that I understood it with more clarity reading thru the forums than their actual website. I learned:

• It shows up an installment loan on CR's
  • It only reports the amounts I borrow (so if I charged $500, then it would show a loan for $500 with a balance of $500 remaining)
  • It does not impact 5/24
  • It would charge interest no matter how soon I pay off a charge since every purchase is "converted to a loan" -- no grace period
  • You essentially can create various "mini-loans" until you've exhausted all the money available from the original amount
  • You can transfer money directly to a bank account if you want
  • Nothing reports to the CRA's until you actually charge/withdraw against it
  • It would be good for emergency expenses, but not day-to-day

Interesting setup. 

Message 8 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@credit_is_crack wrote:

@Saeren wrote:

LOL @Saeren I was just reading thru that thread. It's funny that I understood it with more clarity reading thru the forums than their actual website. I learned:

• It shows up an installment loan on CR's
  • It only reports the amounts I borrow (so if I charged $500, then it would show a loan for $500 with a balance of $500 remaining)
  • It does not impact 5/24
  • It would charge interest no matter how soon I pay off a charge since every purchase is "converted to a loan" -- no grace period
  • You essentially can create various "mini-loans" until you've exhausted all the money available from the original amount
  • You can transfer money directly to a bank account if you want
  • Nothing reports to the CRA's until you actually charge/withdraw against it
  • It would be good for emergency expenses, but not day-to-day

Interesting setup. 

It's like a credit card with none of the perks (except the rewards in the case of this card) of a revolver 😂 

Message 9 of 40
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

In the credit card space:

If it looks too good to be true, check again, and if it is still too good to be true, apply ASAP before it gets nerfed!

Looks like this particular example fails the second check....

Message 10 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.