Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Next AMEX card selection help!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Next AMEX card selection help!!

Howdy!! So I got my Gold Delta Skymiles AMEX a little over 5 months ago. It was my first break into AMEX (so you know I jumped out of my clothes and ran around the room screaming - not really 🧐 ).

I want to get another AMEX. Well, possibly 2 (not back to back though). I have checked my account and ALL of the credit cards show me as being “pre-approved”. I am trying to decide which card I want to get next. I have some plans to shuffle some of my cards around so that’s playing a lot into my next AMEX decision. So I need your help. This is what I’m weighing my options for and why:

1. Hilton Honors Aspire ($450 AF) - I am considering upgrading my Gold Delta to the Delta Reserve, which also has a $450 AF (Sky Club access, Medallion Upgrade & First Class Companion ticket are my main reasons). However, they don’t have a Sky Club everywhere that I’d be able to access for free (simple places like Las Vegas, I’d have to pay $29 for the partner lounge - if they have one - and living in Los Angeles I fly to LV often). So because of that I might keep the Gold and get this Aspire. I’d get Priority Pass and access to a lounge practically everywhere I do fly. The addition hotel credits, airline credits and upgrade perks (on a hotel chain that I already stay at often) make it REALLY appealing.

2. Hilton Honors Ascend - If I get the Delta Reserve then this would be the option. I would have 10 Comp Priority Pass tickets to use yearly and I’d have the Sky Club with my Reserve.

I’m not going to upgrade to the Reserve until November so at this point I am trying to decide the route to take. What do you all think makes sense? If it were you, what would you do? HELP!

P.S. if it helps, I have a QS1 and QS and I am going to attempt to PC one to the Venture in July.
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Next AMEX card selection help!!

It sounds like you have strong reasons for getting the Reserve (1st class companion) and Aspire (Diamond status).

You may or may not be aware that many lounges have stopped accepting Priority Pass (either completely or when they are busy).

Have you considered an Amex Platinum charge card? No Hilton Diamond (just Hilton Gold) but a great lounge network and LAS has a Centurion in T1 (I hear it gets crowded, but not as badly as at SFO). I don't know how hard it is to get around airside at LAS between T1, T3, C and D gates.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yikes, I didn’t know that. I had suspicions that if it was busy that they might restrict access (I almost encountered that last week at the Delta Lounge - But having the AMEX they let me in for the $29.00 and turned others away.

I imagine that Priority Pass is not really top of the list, but having lounge access at an airport is still VERY important. Based on what you’ve said, and judging from the face that I am committed to Delta for travel, I think I am going to move forward with the Reserve and the Ascend. I’d have lounge use for all of my flights (virtually) and should their not be a Sky Club I can try my PP. If that is full then I have the option for a Partner Lounge for $29.00.

Thank you so much!! You really helped out!

P.S. I still do want to improve my credit. Adding to my CL will help. The charge card, not so much. Right now, I’m looking at the Reserve and the Ascend.
Message 3 of 11
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Yeah Amex Plat gives you Hilton gold and Delta SkyClub access along with Priority Pass.  Might want to do a comparison and see how many of the benefits you want could be gotten with just the one card.  Delta Reserve and Hilton Aspire seems a bit overkill just for lounge access.

To me the Delta Reserve only makes sense if you put ALL your spend on it and get the MQM boost to keep you at least Silver Medallion every year AND you use the first class companion pass every year.  Otherwise I'd think the Plat gives you the lounge access along with other benefits that are more generally useful.  But that's just me.

I have a coworker who has the Delta Reserve and he loves it.  But it's the only credit card he carries.

Message 4 of 11
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Priority Pass is pretty promiscuous with credit card partners. A huge number of people have access. When the good lounges get overwhelmed they often stop taking it so as to keep their elites comfortable and happy. As such, a lot of the remaining lounges in PP are in weird locations or offer limited amenities. I think PP is dishonest in how they present the size of the network.

Sky Clubs aren't in the Priority Pass network and there are comparatively few ways to get access, so that helps to limit crowding.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14wrote:

Have you considered an Amex Platinum charge card? No Hilton Diamond (just Hilton Gold) but a great lounge network and LAS has a Centurion in T1 (I hear it gets crowded, but not as badly as at SFO). I don't know how hard it is to get around airside at LAS between T1, T3, C and D gates.

Great lounge network yes. 

Depends on how much the OP values the first class ticket and MQM's, however. One can always just pay $29 for lounge access to Delta SkyClub with the Delta Gold or Plat if only used a few times per year and get the Hilton card. 

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

The direction I’m headed in is the Delta Reserve and the Ascend. That way I have the Sky Club access and if I’m in a location that doesn’t have a Sky Club and I absolutely need a lounge then I can use the Ascend for the PP. In most instances I am not looking for a full on Ritz Carlton lounge. Just a place to kick back, have some drinks and have food that won’t make me sick.

Eventually I am going to get the Platinum but I want to maximize my Skymiles for the moment. ☺️
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:
Eventually I am going to get the Platinum but I want to maximize my Skymiles for the moment. ☺️

If you're getting it soley for the Delta Lounge Access, I wouldn't bother. I'm sure like myself, you consider PP as an inferior lounge. 

You might as well pay $100 less a year and still get the same lounge access, but also the first class companion ticket. 

If you fly 10 times a year, then the Plat makes more sense because of the 5x on airfare which can transfer 1:1 to Delta if you'd like, plus the Delta Lounge access

Message 8 of 11
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:
The direction I’m headed in is the Delta Reserve and the Ascend. That way I have the Sky Club access and if I’m in a location that doesn’t have a Sky Club and I absolutely need a lounge then I can use the Ascend for the PP. In most instances I am not looking for a full on Ritz Carlton lounge. Just a place to kick back, have some drinks and have food that won’t make me sick.

This argument assumes the lounges will be convenient and accepting PP. In some cases, finding a quiet restaurant near your gate and eating slowly may be the most practical option.

I used the LAX T3 SkyClub a few days ago as a sort of arrivals lounge...eating while traffic died down (so my Uber fare would be lower). Good food and a self-service bar. Some people say SkyClubs are pretty mediocre, and maybe they are on average. Between SFO, LAX T3, and JFK T4, though, I guess I've just seen the better ones.

This may be beyond what you wish to discuss, and I won't push if that's the case, but I am a little curious...

...What's your situation that you prioritize lounges and a first-class companion ticket, yet were seemingly surprised and excited about an Delta Gold Amex approval five months ago?

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Get the delta platinum and aspire. The delta platinum still has main cabin annual pass priority boarding and free luggage. Earns points at the same rate and is $255 cheaper. The aspire pays for itself really. $250 travel credit and $250 resort credit. I used it in Las Vegas last month. Stayed free at Tropicana for 2 nights using resort credits. They pay you $50 to get the card. Not to mention the annual night free on card anniversary and included on sign up also. It’s a keeper card for the value not even factoring in the SUB. Especially if u stay there already anyway. Add to that Diamond status for free breakfast late check out and access to executive lounge despite room class for free drinks and snacks. Pays for itself.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.