cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nice feature from Chase - Transferable Credit Limit!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice feature from Chase - Transferable Credit Limit!

I have several Cards with Chase, and I discovered(!) that I can have Chase transfer some of the Credit Limit from one card to another. 

So for example, if I have a $15K limit on one card, and an $8K limit on another card, I can transfer $2K in credit limit to the $8K card for a new limit of $10K, and the other card will now have a limit of $13K. 

I find this very useful because if I have unused credit on one card, I can transfer it to another card, lower my overall credit utilization percent, and improve my Score.  Never heard of another Card doing this before.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Nice feature from Chase - Transferable Credit Limit!

Moving limits from one card to another will help with individual UTI but not overall UTI.
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase to my knowledge has always allowed this, as do many (most actually) other lenders today. 

One of the common ways people take advantage of the ability to move limits is to move as much as they can from Card A to Card B just before then know they're going to close down Card A.

Message 3 of 15
Eagered2succeed
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have several Cards with Chase, and I discovered(!) that I can have Chase transfer some of the Credit Limit from one card to another. 

So for example, if I have a $15K limit on one card, and an $8K limit on another card, I can transfer $2K in credit limit to the $8K card for a new limit of $10K, and the other card will now have a limit of $13K. 

I find this very useful because if I have unused credit on one card, I can transfer it to another card, lower my overall credit utilization percent, and improve my Score.  Never heard of another Card doing this before.

Amex does this very easily as well. Can actually transfer as much as you like once every 30 days.

Message 4 of 15
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

But if you try this at PenFed, you are likely to receive a hard pull.  Not sure about NFCU.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 5 of 15
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

NFCU is YMMV. They dont move limits around for everyone. Case by case and you need to give them a compelling reason for doing so.
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another trick with Chase, since CLI requests are HP and they tend to be on the stingy side... if you want a larger CLI, apply for a new Chase card like the Disney, then once you get it, transfer the limit over and close the new card... or the old card... or keep both... or whatever you like.

Of course you have to be under 5/24 to do this, or choose a card that isn't affected by it.

Message 7 of 15
AverageJoe1970
Contributor

I don't think that's a "trick". That's a mistake. Why create new credit which might adversely impact your AAoA? NO. Don't go this route.

Wasn't always this way. Lessons learned.
Scores: Exp838 || Tu840 || Equ839
Credit Card Collection: Chase Sapphire Reserve 48K || Chase United 43K || Barclays Apple 39K || AMEX CASH 37K || BOA CASH 35K || Apple 25K || FNB AMEX 20K || Chase Amazon 15K ||
Utilization: >1%
Message 8 of 15
joltdude
Senior Contributor

@AverageJoe1970 wrote:

I don't think that's a "trick". That's a mistake. Why credit new credit which might adversely impact your AAoA? NO. Don't go this route.

There are some situations where this is the better option...  Chase can be rather stingy on their HP CLIs for some folks.. And there have been instances where chase will open a new card with a decent CL .... But im more of the premise you should app for a chase card you WANT vs just any card.. and then take a little bit off of it if youd like if its high enough...  For instance I have never recieved a CLI on a chase product... If im going to waste pulls. im going for a new card. not up what i have...  and the small blip for the new account.. but as always YCMV

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hasn't this feature been around for a while now? I know people will often close cards but move limits over before they do.
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.