Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paypal Debit

tag
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: Paypal Debit

@longtimelurker wrote:

Guess I should call Paypal and remind them to remove it?  Maybe not!

I called in for all of us, they said the guy in charge of that has been out sick . . .

Just kidding, no idea what's going on, but not sure PayPal knows what's going on either. I think I'll do a bank account while the gettin' is still good.

Message 21 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaveInAZ wrote:

I called in for all of us, they said the guy in charge of that has been out sick . . .

Just kidding, no idea what's going on, but not sure PayPal knows what's going on either. I think I'll do a bank account while the gettin' is still good.

We can all hope for that grandfathering, can't we? Smiley Wink

Message 22 of 70
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Edit2: Thought you guys would like this as it's relevant. Decided to open a US Bank gold checking account, since it's free with my Cash+ card. Had the option to fund the opening deposit with a card, used my PPBD to test if backup was still working... It worked! It also lists as signature debit and qualifies, and shows on my CBMC. I just earned 3% on my own money. Smiley Happy Technically wouldn't that be getting PAID 3% on a "cash advance"?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is considered a manufactured spend, can be viewed as fraud, and can get you flagged and banned. Just something to think about.

Also, my credit card is also still linked. I have not tested paying with the card though.

Message 23 of 70
patoot10
Frequent Contributor

I signed in to subscribe to this topic.

It worked for a friend of mine and it's still showing as a backup funding method. I wonder if Paypal is pulling a Citi IT one or they decided to not act on the deadline right away.

But the fact that they sent emails about it means that it will die at one point since someone up there doesn't like it.

Message 24 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

@staticvoidmain wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Edit2: Thought you guys would like this as it's relevant. Decided to open a US Bank gold checking account, since it's free with my Cash+ card. Had the option to fund the opening deposit with a card, used my PPBD to test if backup was still working... It worked! It also lists as signature debit and qualifies, and shows on my CBMC. I just earned 3% on my own money. Smiley Happy Technically wouldn't that be getting PAID 3% on a "cash advance"?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is considered a manufactured spend, can be viewed as fraud, and can get you flagged and banned. Just something to think about.

Also, my credit card is also still linked. I have not tested paying with the card though.

Not really fraud. Synchrony would no doubt frown on it but PayPal is the one processing the transaction and if they let it go through, they let it go through. 

Obviously don’t go doing this a bunch of times but I doubt a one off is going to raise any flags at all. After all, the main card is a debit card and PayPal didn’t exactly put out a list of rules for using the credit card as a backup funding source. 

Also, mine is very much still attached. 🤷‍♂️ 

Message 25 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's not quite fraud, no. MS is "legal" in a loophole sense, despite being seriously frowned upon. Also considering the limit 25-50, doesn't leave much room for abuse either. Not going rampant and opening a hundred accounts, think US Bank would flag me first.

There's also the fact that it ALLOWS it, US Bank had the option to open the account with a credit card (I chose the debit option) Also how it was charged came up like a bill pay. So even run as credit, it would have just earned 2% instead and not a CA. Considering even doctorsofcredit, this site, and more have info on the best ways to do it... I don't think paypal is going to flag me over a $30 deposit. Smiley Tongue If it was as dangerous a practice as flagging a single transaction as fraud, I'd think the relevant info would be out there.

Moving on topic: 03/20 still working.
Message 26 of 70
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Moving on topic: 03/20 still working.

Yep, just paid a $20 medical bill, , so I earned a whole extra 20c over just using a 2% card!   Thank you paypal for being slow!

Message 27 of 70
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@staticvoidmain wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

As others have said, fraud, no!  Fraud is a criminal matter, MS just violates the terms of service in some cases.   It could get your account closed if done "big" but this generally means at least tens of thousands per month, every month....

Message 28 of 70
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
It's not quite fraud, no. MS is "legal" in a loophole sense, despite being seriously frowned upon. Also considering the limit 25-50, doesn't leave much room for abuse either. Not going rampant and opening a hundred accounts, think US Bank would flag me first.

There's also the fact that it ALLOWS it, US Bank had the option to open the account with a credit card (I chose the debit option) Also how it was charged came up like a bill pay. So even run as credit, it would have just earned 2% instead and not a CA. 

Unfortunately, the fact that a merchant (in this case US Bank) allows something doesn't mean that the credit card issuer won't have problems!  In my bad days, CVS let me buy $2500 of gift cards every day but eventually Amex decided this violated their definition of normal personal use.

But I agree that the amount involved in your transaction isn't going to raise issues.

Message 29 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

There's also the fact that it ALLOWS it, US Bank had the option to open the account with a credit card (I chose the debit option) Also how it was charged came up like a bill pay. So even run as credit, it would have just earned 2% instead and not a CA. 

Unfortunately, the fact that a merchant (in this case US Bank) allows something doesn't mean that the credit card issuer won't have problems!  In my bad days, CVS let me buy $2500 of gift cards every day but eventually Amex decided this violated their definition of normal personal use.

But I agree that the amount involved in your transaction isn't going to raise issues.

I was meaning more towards the subject of fraud, but your points are definately still valid. Smiley Happy

Message 30 of 70
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.