Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paypal Smart Connect/Paypal Mastercard

tag
snowkitty
Established Contributor

Paypal Smart Connect/Paypal Mastercard

I have a paypal account this is premier and I have my BML account linked to it. Back when I was first apping (August)....I applied for the Paypal MC and was denied. I was told about the smart connect here but when I tried to look at it, my paypal account says you can't have both. So anyways, I have a personal account with Paypal as well and have not logged in for a long time....I just now logged in and a preapproval came up for the Smart Connect. I clicked "not now" because it scared me *lol*  Is the smart connect something they take a HP for or did they soft my credit like commenity bank does? Also, is it a hidden tradeline like BML? I don't want any more new accounts hitting my credit but I do love the way BML works as a hidden trade. Also, if someday I accept the smartconnect, will it eventually be upgraded to the Mastercard? I didn't even know GE did pop up preapprovals like that.....it's the first one I have ever seen.

*EDIT - For what it's worth, I checked my credit reports this morning and GE did do a soft pull on TU to offer me the smartconnect. I guess this is something new they are doing??

TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
john398
Senior Contributor

Re: Paypal Smart Connect/Paypal Mastercard

Yes there probably be a HP for the Smart Connect credit line

Message 2 of 17
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Smart connect is a hard pull, it is through GECRB. You get it by applying for the paypal credit card, and getting declined. Sort of like with any GE store card, they try you for the major version first, then the regular store card. 

Only difference is, paypal smart connect can be used anywhere, you just hook it up to a paypal debit card. By doing this it can not only be used anywhere mastercard is accepted, but you also earn 1% cash back on all purchases. 

Message 3 of 17
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

Only difference is, paypal smart connect can be used anywhere, you just hook it up to a paypal debit card. By doing this it can not only be used anywhere mastercard is accepted, but you also earn 1% cash back on all purchases. 

Only on purchases with signature. PIN based purchases do not earn 1% cashback. Now days a lot of B&M store will force you to use PIN whenever possible.

Message 4 of 17
snowkitty
Established Contributor

So they would not have done a sp since I was preapproved? It only asked for the last 4 digits of my social and birthday....the same way bml and vs did. This was just so weird being from ge.

I didn't know paypal had a debit card. Do you use it like a checking account or is it from ebay sales or something?
TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 5 of 17
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@snowkitty wrote:
So they would not have done a sp since I was preapproved? It only asked for the last 4 digits of my social and birthday....the same way bml and vs did. This was just so weird being from ge.

I didn't know paypal had a debit card. Do you use it like a checking account or is it from ebay sales or something?

Preapproval is meaningless. GE still has to HP you to evaluate your creditworthiness.

PayPal debit card deducts fund from your PayPal account first, then backup funding source (which can be an externally linked checking account or SmartConnect/PayPal CC).

Message 6 of 17
jsucool76
Super Contributor

You order it, they actually run a check on you to see if you can get it though ( I assume it is chexsystems or something) but there is not a HP to get the DEBIT card...you will get HPd if you app for the paypal credit card/PPSC though. 

They pulled TU for me. 

Message 7 of 17
snowkitty
Established Contributor

Ok....thanks. Just curious how it all worked...I'm in the garden for a year and will try for a mastercard then

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 8 of 17
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@snowkitty wrote:
Ok....thanks. Just curious how it all worked...I'm in the garden for a year and will try for a mastercard then

Happy to see  you're staying in the garden. First time I tried to get in it I was out I think 3 days later. 

Message 9 of 17
Odiseous
Frequent Contributor

@snowkitty wrote:

I have a paypal account this is premier and I have my BML account linked to it. Back when I was first apping (August)....I applied for the Paypal MC and was denied. I was told about the smart connect here but when I tried to look at it, my paypal account says you can't have both. So anyways, I have a personal account with Paypal as well and have not logged in for a long time....I just now logged in and a preapproval came up for the Smart Connect. I clicked "not now" because it scared me *lol*  Is the smart connect something they take a HP for or did they soft my credit like commenity bank does? Also, is it a hidden tradeline like BML? I don't want any more new accounts hitting my credit but I do love the way BML works as a hidden trade. Also, if someday I accept the smartconnect, will it eventually be upgraded to the Mastercard? I didn't even know GE did pop up preapprovals like that.....it's the first one I have ever seen.

Having 2 PayPal accounts won't make a difference (I tried that already about 3 years ago). PayPal will run your SSN against their internal system; then deny you, since already have a credit product with them.

TU98 751, EQ 766, EX 766 (Lender)

If at first you don't succeed; Garden for 6 months, then try again.

Work the system. Don't let the system work you.
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.