Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Penfed balance transfer check question

tag
Madyun1982
Regular Contributor

Re: Penfed balance transfer check question

I'm gonna let the funds sit.. Until I see what they do.. But I def put the enclosure of their terms up just in case.. Thx again
Message 11 of 20
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Yes, you can make the check out to yourself.

I just wrote one for $14,000 on an 18 month 0.99% apr offer.

My funds were available the next day (not typical for many) and it posted to my PenFed account with 3-4 days.

For some crazy reason, I THEN asked for a CLI and got $2,500.  

I will never figure out PenFed, but I am happy for now.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 12 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shooting-For-800 Presumably there was also a BT fee on your offer?
Message 13 of 20
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
@Shooting-For-800 Presumably there was also a BT fee on your offer?

3% if I remember correctly.  

Same as my 12 month offer.

6 extra months for 0.99% instead of 0%.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't heard of a single lender that will send you convenience checks and get upset about you writing one to yourself. It seems like they just look at your history and decide that it's worth taking the cash risk with you when they send you the checks. 

There are some like NFCU though that will not let you use a promo with a convenience check. Full APR BT only if you write it to yourself but I believe they do that because they don't charge a BT fee. Gotta make money somehow. 

Message 15 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Saeren PNC does. Terms state that it's not allowed to write check to an individual or yourself.
Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
@Saeren PNC does. Terms state that it's not allowed to write check to an individual or yourself.

I stand corrected. 😂 

Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Weird, isn't it? Lol front of page says, "use like you would a personal check" while T&C on back says "must be at least $200 and may not exceed your available credit or be to individuals or for cash". So basically a check you can only use to pay an institution, business, charity, etc. since individuals would probably include yourself.
Message 18 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's wild. I wonder how many people don't read the back and pay themselves or someone else anyway and how PNC reacts. It's certainly the first time I've heard of this. 

Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought about doing it just for kicks; but would've had an unhappy individual lol maybe write one to one of my brothers and tell him to keep an eye on it and see what happens w/ it Smiley Happy
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.