Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picking a Premium Card!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Picking a Premium Card!

where are you flying to? depending on your destination, some airlines will be out of picture, and some airlines will be more important to consider.

there is really no other option at the moment, because prestige is not available, CSR is not available to you, and AA has poor destinations to asia (if you fly there).

Message 11 of 15
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Just swallow your AA pride and get the United Club card.  SFO is a United hub, so they have many more international flights from the Bay Area than does American.  The United Club card earns 1.5x miles per $1 spent compared to 1 mile per $1 on the AA Executive card.  You'll not only be able to use the United Club lounges at SFO, but you'll also be able to use the Star Alliance partner lounges in your destination cities.  If the United Club card doesn't work out for you, you can always downgrade it to the United Explorer card.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 12 of 15
Priory_Man
Valued Contributor

I fly delta mostly, hence the Reserve card.
I do also have the Citi Prestige, but the Priority pass lounges never really did it for me. Nearly always overcrowded.
If I had to re-think my whole strategy I would just go with an Amex Platinum card and be content.

"Total revolving credit $286,000 Current UTIL >1%"
Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not to be biased, but I also agree that the Platinum Cars sounds like the better choice for your circumstances.

1.) Centurion Lounge, Delta SkyClub and Priority Pass.
2.) Marriott/SPG Gold Status, Hilton Gold Status, and AMEX Fine Hotels & Resorts benefits if your business lets you book your own arrangements.
3.) Uber Eats can be used if you don't plan on using the credit for rides.
4.) Membership Rewards points are much more versatile than virtually all other programs, including co-branded programs.
5.) If you have more than one MR card (I think I saw you have the Gold Cars?, the points from all MR products pool into one account for easy redemption.
6.) American Express is usually, if not always, much easier to work with in the event of a dispute, or needing to use another benefit like Global Assist, Purchase Protection or Extended Warranty.
7.) You'll make me happy.
Message 14 of 15
digitek
Established Contributor

I'd go with the US Bank Altitude Reserve from what you describe.  It is not loyal to any airline, the SUB is good, it has trip interruption insurance, it gives you PP lounge access which is sure to underwhelm you, it has no FTF, and I really like how it does redemption.  It is 4.5x when used for travel and you get to book it however/whenever you want and they credit you back, no need to transfer MR's for miles redemption (although that can offer some chances for great redemption deals) or portals to go through.

Also, the overall AF is cheaper than any of ther others with $400 total and $325 travel credit making net $75.  I also like how you can accumulate rewards on travel and mobile wallet at x3 and redeem for x1.5 making it a 4.5% card for all kinds of transactions.  I just tried mobile wallet recently and am really digging it, it is really convenient and I've noticied how most of the payment terminals I deal with in person are NFC compatible now.  I also like that it DOESN'T have dining as a cash back category, I'm purposefully trying to avoid that category since I eat out way too **bleep** much already =D

I'm about to drop my CSR and Freedom and convert my Cash+, but I recently opened a card and want to give it some time.  My CSR Annual Fee just came up and it is time to switch programs.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.