Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plastiq and Amex

tag
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

Re: Plastiq and Amex

I was having issues adding a new Amex card using their website on my desktop computer. As soon as I typed the "3" at the beginning, the message came up that Amex wasn't accepted, and the "Add Card" (or whatever) button greyed out. However, using the iPhone app, I was able to add the card easily.

When you guys say Plastiq won't allow Amex, do you mean that it won't allow you to add the card? Or when you actually make the payment, the transaction is denied? I have a scheduled payment coming up in 2 weeks.

Message 11 of 22
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

OK, so apparently it’s not me then. Try to use my AMEX honors last month to meet to spend requirement for the bonus while I paid my rent. It won’t let me. MasterCard Visa works OK, but the Amex will not go through.But, according to the terms of service it should work and it should not be an issue, because it is allowed. Looks like some kind of a problem on their end
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 12 of 22
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

The transaction get denied, and AMEX doesn’t seem to have any record of it.
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Message 13 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are those of you that are getting denied with Amex transactions trying to use it for a category that isn't allowed by Plastiq as indicated in my post on the previous page?

Message 14 of 22
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Residential rent and education sure sounds like it should be allowed according to the email you received. Pretty sure it's a Plastiq issue and not with AMEX.

Message 15 of 22
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Are those of you that are getting denied with Amex transactions trying to use it for a category that isn't allowed by Plastiq as indicated in my post on the previous page?

Mine was for residential rent - no reason it shouldnt be allowed

Message 16 of 22
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Here's the response I got back.  Amex can only be used with Plastiq for certain transaction categories:

That last sentence is not what their terms of service says, so I take it that is just the rep's commentary. Later in ther terms it does refer to uncollaterized loans, so if student loans don't fall into the education category I would think something like a federally guaranteed student loan may not be considered uncollaterized, since its guaranteed by the federal government and therefore shouldn't be in the denial category?  

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 17 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

The more I read the email I shared above, the more it sounds contradictary to me.  It basically says it can be used for certain categories, then cites that things are restricted and it points to several of the same categories.  Not sure what is up with that.

Message 18 of 22
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

I had no trouble putting mortgage payments on my Amex a few months ago.  Even when people started fussing about Amex getting refused I tried and saw no obstacles for me.  Now I just got a Hilton Surpass card and it's telling me I can't use Amex to pay this recipient.

Looks like it's going to take longer than I thought to meet this bonus spend.

I was wanting to go back to paying the mortgage via direct draft anyway. It was starting to bug me how much I'd thrown away on Plastiq fees to churn bonuses.  Also, adding some more time between my apps wouldn't be a bad thing.

Message 19 of 22
red259
Super Contributor

@MrDisco99 wrote:

I had no trouble putting mortgage payments on my Amex a few months ago.  Even when people started fussing about Amex getting refused I tried and saw no obstacles for me.  Now I just got a Hilton Surpass card and it's telling me I can't use Amex to pay this recipient.

Looks like it's going to take longer than I thought to meet this bonus spend.

I was wanting to go back to paying the mortgage via direct draft anyway. It was starting to bug me how much I'd thrown away on Plastiq fees to churn bonuses.  Also, adding some more time between my apps wouldn't be a bad thing.

Visa and Amex do not allow mortgage payments via plastiq. Residential rent should still go through fine. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.