cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible/Worth upgrading BoA 1/2/3 to VISA Signature?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Possible/Worth upgrading BoA 1/2/3 to VISA Signature?

Is it worth it (or even possible) to upgrade my 7 year old BoA 1/2/3 cash rewards card with a $7k limit to a VISA Signature?  Will they want to do a hard pull?  Will they still report my credit limit?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Possible/Worth upgrading BoA 1/2/3 to VISA Signature?

If you want/need the Signature benefits, jus call them and request a Visa Signature version of your card. No HP, nothing changes with your account except it may report as “Flexible Spending Credit Card” instead of “Revolving Credit Card” on your reports. The limit will still report. 

Message 2 of 12
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Suprised they didnt auto upgrade you yet.. Mine started out at 1k, when I cancelled it I believe it was 15k sometime during the 1.5 years I had it I think at 1 year mark it was upgraded to the signature without me asking.  You can call and ask although 99% of peope don't use signature benefits.

It would be a SP, but obviously verify that with the CSR during the call.

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting twist.  I just got off the phone and the CSR said it was not possible to convert it to a VISA Signature even though the BoA website shows the Cash Back card as one.  To be honest, he did sound a little unsure and had to put me on hold to figure that out.

Now I'm wondering if I should call back in the hopes of getting a different Rep or just let it go.

Message 4 of 12
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

If you really want/need a VS, hang up and call again.  There are some cards that are not eligible (oddly the two with the largest limits in my signature) for Visa Signature/World or World Elite MasterCard, but that shouldn't be one of them.  It's BOA, so once you do get it changed expect weeks before you see the card.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh boy.  I called back and got a different CSR.  At first she could only find business cards I could upgrade to.  Then she said the VISA Signature cards had an annual fee.  Finally she said the VISA Signature cards where the "base" cards and where not eligible for cash back.

After guiding her through the BoA website to the card I was referring to (which showed the VISA Signature symbol and the first two bullet points where 1/2/3% cash back and no annual fee) she said the VISA Signature benefits are only available if I had other accounts with BoA (savings?) and used their wealth management services.

This was the point that I said thank you and to have a good day.  I give up.

Message 6 of 12
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

O M G

I assure you that you do not need to be enrolled in Preferred Rewards (the program for those having $20k or more in assets with BOA, Merrill Lynch, and/or Merrill Edge) in order to get a Visa Signature product.

Message 7 of 12
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Wow that is a ridiculous CSR experience.

Both my Cash Rewards and Travel Rewards cards are VSig.  I don't get what is so complicated.  I think she was just feeding you BS in hopes that she wouldn't have to actually figure out how to do something she didn't know how to do.

Hang up, call again, rinse, repeat.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I gave it one more go. This third CSR was able to "upgrade" me to a VISA Signature and my new card will arrive in 2 weeks with possibly a new number. I'm just hoping she didn't accidentally close my account (my oldest) and open a new one. I'm also hoping this new card is actually a VISA Signature and Cash Rewards card. I did ask her if this will require a HP and she seemed somewhat sure it would not.

I'll know for sure in 2 weeks when the new card arrives and I pull my annual credit report. Next up is a SP CLI for my Citi DC and maybe opening an Amazon VISA as my 3rd card.
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone for the help and confidence.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.