Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Price Protection Benefits Gone?!?!?!

tag
3bcswins3
New Contributor

Price Protection Benefits Gone?!?!?!

I just learned Discover ended their price protection. I used it last year on Black Friday and it worked great. It appears Chase might have ended this benefit as well? Does anybody know which companies still offer this Price Protection Benefit?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Price Protection Benefits Gone?!?!?!

Chase discontinued it *for Visa products* on August 26, 2018.

Citi still offers it, though they've gotten stricter about benefit caps, rules, and ineligible items. A few other issuers offer it, as well as (many? most? all?) WEMC (and maybe WMC/Platinum MC) cards.

I use Citi. The benefit terms are still probably the best overall, and I'm familiar with the process.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just noticed the same thing! Was getting ready for my "Black Friday" shopping (aka, using the price protection to get the low price without waiting in lines), when I noticed it. Bummer.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use Citi PriceRewind without an issue but with their website issues and seeing the changes they're making I feel its only a matter if time till its gone with them too.

Message 4 of 13
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Citi is the card to use this year... Just bought a new macbook pro on my citi dc card. was already 150 off, but i suspect to see it for 250 off and use price rewind to take care of the extra $100.

Think Citi got a bit of loyalty of bigger purchases due to this.  Amex also has some good extended warranties a well another good option.  Chase and Discover would be my last choice on big purchases unless Amazon and you are on 10% first year and only then would i use it for a decent size purchase

Message 5 of 13
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Chase has good travel protections, and Discover is good for stuff that can't break that Amazon sells at a standard price floor.

But for merchandise...stuff that can break, has a warranty to extend, or might be cheaper elsewhere (or in the future)...I rarely find much reason to use a card other than Amex or Citi.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 6 of 13
Malcono
Regular Contributor

Citi is definitely getting all of my big purchases this year.

Total Credit: $107,000Utilization: 1%AAoA: 2yrs, 4mthsAoOA: 3yrs, 1mthAoYA: 1yrs, 10mthsBaddies: 0

Message 7 of 13
3bcswins3
New Contributor

I found out my paypal 2% card has price protection through MasterCard. Does that mean all mastercards have Price Protection?
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Chase IHG card has it since it's a benefit of MC and the other Chase cards are VISA.  It may be a VISA initiated problem since most Citi cards are MC.

@3bcswins3 wrote:

I just learned Discover ended their price protection. I used it last year on Black Friday and it worked great. It appears Chase might have ended this benefit as well? Does anybody know which companies still offer this Price Protection Benefit?

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

any updates on new discover benefits?

i thought discover would intro some new benfits since they radically scaled back the card benefits earlier in the year. i've heard nothing about updates. have i missed anything?

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.