Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prime vs Sub Prime - clarification

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Prime vs Sub Prime - clarification

@azguy13 wrote:

I agree with much of what people are stating here except for the $3k> means subprime. An applicant can have a score in the 700s but have a low income and may not be issued a $3k limit. By that logic, someone who makes $20k/yr with a 730 FICO and $15k (representing 75% of their annual income in credit) in available credit would be considered subprime; which really isn't true.  

However other factors depending on the UW will factor into the persons ability to acquire credit.

Message 11 of 20
happypill
Valued Contributor

I think about it a little differently:

Prime - a product that offers good terms & perks so that it can compete for people with good credit.  In other words, people with "prime" credit could get a lot of different cards and have choices, so the "prime" card must offer something to entice them to apply & use the card.

Sub-prime - a product that has poor terms, few or no perks and tacks on fees because people with poor credit have no other choice.  Customers who accept these types of cards probably do so because they can't get something better.

From the Cap One lineup, for example.  The QS1 & QS offer the same rewards, but the QS1 tacks on an additional fee.  Still, the QS1 isn't too bad and I feel like its right on the boarder between prime/sub-prime (totally subjective of course).  There are a lot of other cards that have way worse terms & fees.  But, the QS1 is "sub-prime" to me because nobody would accept a QS1 if they could actually get a QS.

Message 12 of 20
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

For Cap One, MasterCards are likely available to people with subprime profiles. This includes the Builder Program card (if you can still get that), the secured offer, the platinum offer and the QS1. Visas, on the other hand, are prime offerings - VentureOne, Venture and QS. The exception to this is the Journey, which is their student card so it has less strict underwriting than their other visas.

Perhaps for their current card offerings, but not necessarily for their discontinued or grandfathered card offerings perhaps?  If you use the Internet Time Machine a.k.a. Wayback Machine to look at cached pages from the past for Cap1 cards, some of their past MC products included prime or even super-prime terms.  I guess my point is that a grandfathered Cap1 MC from say "the good old days of yore" may not necessarily be sub-prime  Smiley Happy

ETA:  sorry, corrected accidental typo

Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@galahad15 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

For Cap One, MasterCards are likely available to people with subprime profiles. This includes the Builder Program card (if you can still get that), the secured offer, the platinum offer and the QS1. Visas, on the other hand, are prime offerings - VentureOne, Venture and QS. The exception to this is the Journey, which is their student card so it has less strict underwriting than their other visas.

Perhaps for their current card one offerings, but not necessarily for their discontinued or grandfathered card offerings perhaps?  If you use the Internet Time Machine a.k.a. Wayback Machine to look at cached pages from the past for Cap1 cards, some of their past MC products included prime or even super-prime terms.  I guess my point is that a grandfathered Cap1 MC from say "the good old days of yore" may not necessarily be sub-prime  Smiley Happy

Oh I agree with what you're saying here absolutely, and there are QS Mastercards out there that have been upgraded from QS1 with huge limits and good terms and no annual fee.  But I mean like if you're looking at it today and looking at all of their cards and looking to apply for something, generally speaking the current mastercards are likely available for subprime profiles.

Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
While 'prime' and 'subprime' have to do with the borrower more than the issuer, here's a little clarification regarding your question specifically about Cap One cards.

All of this is ONLY for Cap One.

Capital One is an issuer that has products available for prime profiles as well as subprime profiles. The quickest way to tell, from a standpoint of someone who does not currently carry one of those cards, is to see what type of card it is.

If you're not sure, check in the terms and conditions of the offer. Capital One's terms will pretty much tell you. If it says you can't apply for the card if you have two capital one cards already, it's catered toward subprime borrowers. If it says the offer doesn't apply if you have five capital one cards, it's catered toward prime borrowers. I've found this in terms for cobranded cards as well (Sony and the PlayStation cards) so it's a decent hint across the board.

Or even more easily, for current offerings, check which credit level each card requires on Cap One site.     QS requires "Excellent" while QS1 is "Average"   (and Cap One's definition of "Excellent" is very lenient)

The required rating listed for a lot of these cards confuses me. I've been approved for Cap1, Discover, Amex and Chase cards that supposedly require "Excellent" credit, all with over 10k limits, but my CB ratings are in the "Good" category. I'm sure there are other factors considered.

Message 15 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

From my experience prime vs subprime were due to me and not necessarily the card or issuer. There are exceptions though.

Amex used to let me charge way over the credit limit when things were good. If my credit got worse they would lower the amount I could charge. Because of me and my credit changing my prime card became a mid prime card because of me and how the bank viewed me and not due to a set in stone rule. Now a centurion card would be different but it still would be me and my profile that would allow me to have a card like that.

I have two friends that have cap 1 spark card. Same model and color but one has a 1k credit line while the other has 25k. It's the profiles that made the cards different even though they were the same spark card.
Message 16 of 20
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
While 'prime' and 'subprime' have to do with the borrower more than the issuer, here's a little clarification regarding your question specifically about Cap One cards.

All of this is ONLY for Cap One.

Capital One is an issuer that has products available for prime profiles as well as subprime profiles. The quickest way to tell, from a standpoint of someone who does not currently carry one of those cards, is to see what type of card it is.

If you're not sure, check in the terms and conditions of the offer. Capital One's terms will pretty much tell you. If it says you can't apply for the card if you have two capital one cards already, it's catered toward subprime borrowers. If it says the offer doesn't apply if you have five capital one cards, it's catered toward prime borrowers. I've found this in terms for cobranded cards as well (Sony and the PlayStation cards) so it's a decent hint across the board.

Or even more easily, for current offerings, check which credit level each card requires on Cap One site.     QS requires "Excellent" while QS1 is "Average"   (and Cap One's definition of "Excellent" is very lenient)

Not for me.  Smiley Sad. Not worthy.

Signature needs updating
Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

If the card works where I buy the Prime Rib for dinner, to me that's prime. Someone had to go there! Smiley Wink

Message 18 of 20
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Not for me.  Smiley Sad. Not worthy.

I meant lenient in the sense of their definition of excellence, not that everyone meeting that definition will get the card!    One of the requirements for Cap One to  considier your credit as excellent is that you have no 60 day lates this year.   So you could have (multiple) 30 days late, or a 90 day late the previous year etc.     Of course, they may not grant you the card, but their definition is weak....

Message 19 of 20
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

You can tell a lot about a lender by where they apply their anual fees.  A good lender that caters to the prime market will apply anual fees to their best card offerings with the best perks and rewards.  A shadowy sub-prime lender that caters to the sub-prime market will apply anual fees to junk cards with low limits, high APR's, and few if any perks.  The "rewards" that a sub-prime lender may use to try to peddle their products aren't really even rewards because they are negated by the anual fee.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.