Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about REDCard Debit Inquiry

tag
Jutz
Valued Contributor

Re: Question about REDCard Debit Inquiry

Love zombie threads. RED debit sounds like a pretty good idea though, 5% off is a pretty good deal for not doing much

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 21 of 25
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

my karma score is 636.
5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 22 of 25
SwampSystems
Frequent Contributor

@calogan wrote:

@trumpet-205 wrote:

So does Target pull your credit report even though you are applying for a debit card? If so is it a soft or hard pull? Finally if they do pull CR which one they pull it from?

There is no pull on your credit reports, hard, soft, or otherwise for the DEBIT CARD version.

I went through the same panic and questions before I applied, what they DO is pull a report on you through another vendor (not on of the credit report providers) on your check writing history, etc.  I believe they use CHEX, althogh I'm not 100% sure on that - it may be another vendor.

Short answer: They check you out, but not through a hard or soft pull on your credit report through one of the big three CRAs.

This is false information. TNB Target soft pulled my Experian report on the date I applied for my REDCard Debit card. They also pull from the company they use for check processing (can't remember which, but I requested paper reports from all the major ones like ChexSystems a few months back, and one of them definitely had an inquiry matching the date of my application).

It says in the terms and conditions that they use CRAs, and it even warns you on the electronic pad before you sign the application. I used to work for Target, and I would get plenty of apprehension and complaints over this. Even had a few guests come back to the store after reviewing their reports to tell me they saw an inquiry.

Message 23 of 25
Epcot
Valued Contributor

I applied for the Debit card a few months ago and no HP. Very happy with the savings!

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 24 of 25
professorr
Regular Contributor

So if any of you are on CHEX then I doubt they'll approve you.  BK usually gets rid of your Chex issues though.

Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.