Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about closing card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about closing card

I have a Fashion Bug card (my oldest, since 2006). The card still reports one 30-day late payment from 2009. I would like to close the card. It does not report unless I use it, and I don't ever plan on using it again. My question is, should I wait until that late payment falls off before I close it, or will the late payment indicator still fall off even if I close the account?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question about closing card

It will still age off even if you close the card.

Message 2 of 5
TheConductor
Established Contributor

The late payment will age the same whether the account is open or closed.

However, if the account has been used recently you might want to first pursue a goodwill request for the late to be deleted. Given how old the late is, if you appear to still be an active customer they might work with you to delete it early.

Also, if there's no AF I'd just sock drawer it and wait for it to be closed due to inactivity. That way it wall fall out of your AAoA 10 years + X months from now instead of just 10 years from now. 

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 3 of 5
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Id just close it. 10 years from now it will fall off. Thats plenty for AAOA.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TheConductor wrote:

The late payment will age the same whether the account is open or closed.

However, if the account has been used recently you might want to first pursue a goodwill request for the late to be deleted. Given how old the late is, if you appear to still be an active customer they might work with you to delete it early.

Also, if there's no AF I'd just sock drawer it and wait for it to be closed due to inactivity. That way it wall fall out of your AAoA 10 years + X months from now instead of just 10 years from now. 

I tried a Goodwill letter. They said no, that they are reporting a valid late, and they really are. I am not disputing the validity. I just want it to go away. lol It is in the safe now with no plans of use. The card has zero benefits. If I shopped at their family of stores I would use a rewards card. I have gone for around 3 years before without touching the card and they didn't close it, so I guess I can do that again, just to pad my AAoA. They just report as "unknown" with no use.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.