cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about combining NFCU cards and apping for new one.

tag
AMI26

Question about combining NFCU cards and apping for new one.

Hello, 

so I have 3 different NFCU cards that I am

considering asking them to just put the limit all onto one. I currently have the cash rewards, platinum, and go rewards ($2,500 , $2,500 and $7,600). I want to ask them to put it all on the GOrewards since neither the cash or Platinum are carrying a balance and I use the Go rewards much more frequently. 
if I do this and they accept, would I be eligible to apply for another CC with them since technically I will only have one again? 
I'm thinking more down the line like at least 6 months to app for a new one but, I just wanted to see if that's a possibility after closing the 2 and putting their limits on the GO. 

Started Credit Journey in 2020 with no CC's and 420 score
Current score: 750
Total credit limit: $72,100
Usage: >1%
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
HeavyResist
Frequent Contributor

Re: Question about navy fed combining cards and app for new one

@AMI26 wrote:

Hello, 

considering asking them to just put the limit all onto one. I currently have the cash rewards, platinum, and go rewards ($2,500 , $2,500 and $7,600). I want to ask them to put it all on the GOrewards since neither the cash or Platinum are carrying a balance and I use the Go rewards much more frequently. 
if I do this and they accept, would I be eligible to apply for another CC with them since technically I will only have one again? 
I'm thinking more down the line like at least 6 months to app for a new one but, I just wanted to see if that's a possibility after closing the 2 and putting their limits on the GO. 

Is there a reason you arent getting regular CLI's? Usually the limits on the cards increase if you are asking on a regular basis and keeping low balances on the cards.

Message 2 of 11
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Question about combining NFCU cards and apping for new one.

@AMI26 wrote:

Hello, 

I doubt that they have a limit on the number of credit cards you can have with them, but I wouldn't reapply for one of the same cards I'd closed 6 months earlier.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 3 of 11
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

HI,
Yes, you'd be eligible again for a new card, but you'll need to wait at least 6 months before doing that. Ive done that before as well. Getting them to combine is hit or miss. You will have better luck by sending them a private email thru your online account, with a good reason for combination. Like balance transfer, or you're going a big trip, and need to put all your expenses Flights, hotel etc on one card.

Also, are all your cards Visa's? You dont have a mix of Visa/MC? Their cards can in both..
Message 4 of 11
AMI26

I honestly haven't asked in a good while. I think maybe only once per card. The two lower limits started at 1k and were both bumped to 2.5k and the GO started at 5k and got bumped to 7.2k. I haven't asked since. It's probably been a year 

Message 5 of 11
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Hi there OP,

I have merged both of your threads on this subject into one, please refrain from cross posting as it can lead to confusion by the members and its not inline with our TOS. Thanks for your understanding.

Message 6 of 11
AMI26

My apologies!

Message 7 of 11
AMI26

Pizza1: 

that's good to know! Thanks for the tip! 
the Go and cash rewards are Visa. The platinum is Mastercard. Will that cause issues? I would be okay with just combining the Go and cash rewards too if they can't do cross visa and master. That'll still leave an opening for me to get Flagship one day lol

Message 8 of 11
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

I doubt that they have a limit on the number of credit cards you can have with them,

They do - maxinum of 3 cards, maxinum aggregate limit of $80K across all cards, maximum CL of $80K on the Flagship Rewards, $50K on each of the others.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 9 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

No one has mentioned the big cat in the room. Navy has not been combining accounts for awhile now. There is a slight chance we're t for a balance transfer but even that is a case by case  basis. You can ask to combine but my gut tells me they won't do it at this time. IMHO ask for a cli on each card, 8k max, and see what they give. Rinse and repeat every 6 monthsSmiley Wink

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.