Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about transferring AmEx MR points to Travel Partner

tag
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Question about transferring AmEx MR points to Travel Partner

I have a question about using MR points to upgrade our flight to Sint Maarten.

I recently took AmEx up on their offer to upgrade from EveryDay to EveryDay Preferred in exchange for 40K MR points after $2K spend. I have the 40K points in my account now. I will expect an additional 20K+ after i hit the 30 purchases threshold in a week or so.

I'm considering taking those points to upgrade our seats. Do they have to accept the points for the upgrade?

Thanks!

ETA: This is, of course, assuming, there are available seats for upgrade.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Question about transferring AmEx MR points to Travel Partner

@Junejer wrote:

I recently took AmEx up on their offer to upgrade from EveryDay to EveryDay Preferred in exchange for 40K MR points after $2K spend. I have the 40K points in my account now. I will expect an additional 20K+ after i hit the 30 purchases threshold in a week or so.

I'm considering taking those points to upgrade our seats. Do they have to accept the points for the upgrade?

Thanks!

Once you transfer the points into your airline loyalty account, they are exactly the same as any other points in the account (that you could have got by flying for example).   So, if upgrades are available with the actual point level, yes, but this is nothing to do with Amex.

Message 2 of 16
jcooks
Established Contributor

It would depend on what airline you are flying from.  If they are travel partner, you would be able to, provided that there are award seats available.  Find this out first before transferring as points cannot be transferred back and may forever live in that point system until used on that specific airline.

Message 3 of 16
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, @jcooks. It's Delta Airlines. The reason this is becoming a hot topic is because yesterday I got an email saying "something went wrong" and I needed to get my seats reassigned. I had already assigned our seats when I purchased the tickets, now this. I just don't want any further shenanigans.

Message 4 of 16
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Junejer wrote:

Thanks!

Once you transfer the points into your airline loyalty account, they are exactly the same as any other points in the account (that you could have got by flying for example).   So, if upgrades are available with the actual point level, yes, but this is nothing to do with Amex.

Thanks @longtimelurker. MR points for flight upgrades virgin here.

Message 5 of 16
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

@jcooks wrote:

It would depend on what airline you are flying from.  If they are travel partner, you would be able to, provided that there are award seats available.  Find this out first before transferring as points cannot be transferred back and may forever live in that point system until used on that specific airline.

Is there a way I can find out how many points will be required to upgrade before I transfer the points?

Message 6 of 16
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Nevermind that last question. I signed up for a Delta SkyMiles account and found the answer.

Message 7 of 16
CaptJOB
Regular Contributor

@Junejer wrote:

Like 20k points from the 50% multiplier on the 40k bonus or just from spending? 

Message 8 of 16
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

@CaptJOB wrote:

@Junejer wrote:

20K from the multiplier, plus whatever else I get from spending. I've diverted a good bit of my normal spend here in order to maximize this multiplier this month.

Message 9 of 16
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Junejer wrote:

@CaptJOB wrote:

@Junejer wrote:

20K from the multiplier, plus whatever else I get from spending. I've diverted a good bit of my normal spend here in order to maximize this multiplier this month.

A 1.5 multiplier on the 40k MR Upgrade bonus points? hmmmm..... haven't ever heard of this one.

$40,000 spend in the 30 day period to get a 20,000 MR point accelerator on the spend, yeah you can do that every month.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.