Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on settling with HSBC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question on settling with HSBC

I have an HSBC/Beneficial account that the original balance was $7600, with all the junk fees it is up to 9200. It was charged off about two years ago and now been with like five different collection agencies. I have been trying to settle and all the agencies end up giving like a bottom line number of around $3200.00 The current CA Allied Interstate offered me $3200.00 in December. I came back at $1500.00, but finally this month in an effort to put to bed i agreed to the $3200.00 but they said that was last month and it is now off the table. Allied said they had a meeting with Benifical last week and the lowest they do is 50% which is 4600, I am not settleing for $4600.00. Do you think if I try at the end of the month they might be more hungry to settle or will they stick to thier guns at the 4600.00? Any other options? I really need to get this behind me.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
daisyduke
Valued Contributor

Re: Question on settling with HSBC

Hi NYYankees,

I think this post probably should have been in rebuilding section, I was cruising the CC forums and came across your post.

I think the first thing you need to do is find out what is exactly on all of your credit reports. Which CA is reporting on all three reports. If you have not done so already, go to annualcreditreport.com and get your credit reports. You can get them for free once a year with no charge.

What is your DOFD (that is date of first deliquency with HSBC, the first time that you missed your payment and never caught up = that is your DOFD).

Keep in mind that you need to know your SOL - if you are within the SOL, the CC company can sue you.

If you provide this basic information, there are so many good people on this forum, they can advise you of the right steps to take.

Also, one last thing - A CA doesn't tell the OC how to report. So even when you are ready to cut a deal with a CA, HSBC will still report "charge off - sold/transferred". You can however negotiate to have the CA TL removed, if they have listed it, someone probably has reported this on your credit report.

I hope this helps you.

Starting Score: 682 EQ, 663 TU
Current Score: 687 EQ - 705 TU on 7/18/10
Goal Score: 700 + both EQ and TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 7
DI
Super Contributor

How old is the debt?  For a balance of $7600, a settlement payout shouldn't be no more than $2500.  Also, negotiate that they don't issue a 1099 for the difference as earned income.    I did all of that with a car loan I cosigned for when I settled the account. 
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply, they told they will not budge off of 4600. Here is how it reports on my CR.

Balance: 
$9,255  
Date Updated: 
12/2009  
High Balance: 
$7,653 
Credit Limit: 
$0 
Past Due: 
>$9,255< 
Pay Status: 
>Charged Off as Bad Debt<  
Account Type: 
Line of Credit Account  
Responsibility: 
Individual Account  
Date Opened: 
02/2007 
Date Closed: 
03/2009 
Loan Type: Line of Credit
Remark: 
>Profit and loss writeoff<
Message 4 of 7
DI
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the reply, they told they will not budge off of 4600. Here is how it reports on my CR.

Balance: 
$9,255  
Date Updated: 
12/2009  
High Balance: 
$7,653 
Credit Limit: 
$0 
Past Due: 
>$9,255< 
Pay Status: 
>Charged Off as Bad Debt<  
Account Type: 
Line of Credit Account  
Responsibility: 
Individual Account  
Date Opened: 
02/2007 
Date Closed: 
03/2009 
Loan Type: Line of Credit
Remark: 
>Profit and loss writeoff<

The account is still very young. You missed out on the lowest offer.  It will take a couple of more years to get the settlement you offered to that level.  

Message 5 of 7
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@DI wrote:
How old is the debt?  For a balance of $7600, a settlement payout shouldn't be no more than $2500.  Also, negotiate that they don't issue a 1099 for the difference as earned income.    I did all of that with a car loan I cosigned for when I settled the account. 

The account is no longer with the OC. Only the OC can issue a 1099 on a settled debt. CA/JDB cannot do so.

Message 6 of 7
-RED
Regular Contributor

^ Good to know!
-800 or Bust...!
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.