Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question re: Share Secured Loan and Secured Credit Card

tag
QueenofReinvention
Contributor

Question re: Share Secured Loan and Secured Credit Card

Hi All!

I didn't want to hi-jack the SDFCU thread, so I figured I'd start this one. I've seen mentioned (specifically with Credit Union accounts) where people have opened a share secured loan w/"X" amount and then funded their secured credit card with the money. In essence, it appears that they (using $1,000 as an example) - opened the loan w/$1,000 and then theoretically got that $1,000 back (even though they still have to make the monthly payments), and then used that same $1,000 to open a secured credit card. Is that how it works? You open the share secured loan with your $1,000; they give you a loan against that, and then you just open a secured card with that $1,000 and simply pay back the share secured loan?

If that's the case, once my crappy cards are paid off and closed (First Premier, Credit One, etc), I want to do this, so that I can get SDFCU's secured credit card, since you can add a lot to it in order to get a large limit. I don't care about it not unsecuring, because this will work best for me to have this large credit line funded by my own money, so if anything goes sideways, I can just close it and pay off any balance (if there is one), and be done with it. I'm a bit skittish after my bk filing in 2010 to get into CC trouble again, and I like the idea of being able to have the large credit limit, as I've seen mentioned you could have it up to like $100,000 limit! Not that I have 100k! LOL.

Anyway, if someone could clarify regarding the secured loan and secured CC scenario; specifically with regards to SDFCU, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
goosedog
Regular Contributor

Re: Question re: Share Secured Loan and Secured Credit Card

your best option is a share loan Like you mentioned.
The way a share loan works is this. You give them a minimum deposit. They give you the money right back in return. Then you can divide up the loan into 12 or 18 months. it's like paying back your own money thats in the security deposit and they release it to you minus their interest.

I've seen mid florida fcu charge an interest rate of 4%. It's better than the security card because it's like a which is reporting monthly Just do not pay off the loan early.
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.