Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about balance transfers

tag
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

Questions about balance transfers

Lets say i just got a card with an introductory bt offer, lets say zero pct for 12 months with a 3 pct fee.

I have another cc with 26.99 int rate. i put car repair charges on that card, can i bt to my new card right away?

The same question involves a cash advance. lets say i take a 500 buck cash advance from the 26.99 cc, can i bt that balance to the zero card right away?

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Questions about balance transfers

If they are offering it to you, I don't see why not. I BT a small amount a couple of years ago on a card I just opened. You should read the fine print on the BT offer to make sure though.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 16
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Yes and Yes, @SUPERSQUID

The caveat is that balance transfers aren't instantaneous, even when done electronically, and whether it's for a new charge or a cash advance.  It may take three days or even up to about a week for the original balance to show paid off by the BT.  So you'll still owe the appropriate interest on the initial charges plus whatever the cash advance fee is on the original card.  For many cards, that fee can be quite expensive.  Plus, Cash advance APRs are often higher than your purchase APR and kick in immediately after a cash advance.  

To estimate the daily interest, divide the interest rate by 365 to get the daily rate.  Then multiply the estimated daily balance by that.  For example, your 26.99% rate is 0.2699 divided by 365= 0.00073945.  Let's say you post a $3,000 balance and run it for five days until it transfers.  The daily rate is $2.21835 (let's call it $2.20 per day) x 5 days = $11.00.   Plus, you'll pay the BT fee up-front.  But a 3% BT fee for a 12-month period is equivalent to a 3% APR, which is a pretty decent loan.   That $3,000 x .03 = $90.00 BT fee. 

Edit to Add:  Regarding the new card, lenders often have a screen on the initial application for you to enter any Balance Transfers as part of setting up the new account.  And most lenders will allow you to do it at any time after the account has been approved, even before you receive the new card, if that was your question more than what I answered.

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 3 of 16
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

Lets say i just got a card with an introductory bt offer, lets say zero pct for 12 months with a 3 pct fee.

I have another cc with 26.99 int rate. i put car repair charges on that card, can i bt to my new card right away?

The same question involves a cash advance. lets say i take a 500 buck cash advance from the 26.99 cc, can i bt that balance to the zero card right away?

What @Aim_High said about BTs not being instantaneous is *very* important, especially where cash advances are concerned.

I haven't done a cash advance in decades, but as I understand it, they typically start incurring interest IMMEDIATELY--and their APRs are very high. So let's say you get a CA on January 11, and you initiate a BT to cover it on January 12, but the BT doesn't hit the account until January 26, that's FOURTEEN days of sky-high interest you're being charged for the CA. If that's okay, fine, but I sure wouldn't want to pay it!

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 4 of 16
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

What @Aim_High said about BTs not being instantaneous is *very* important, especially where cash advances are concerned.

I haven't done a cash advance in decades, but as I understand it, they typically start incurring interest IMMEDIATELY--and their APRs are very high. So let's say you get a CA on January 11, and you initiate a BT to cover it on January 12, but the BT doesn't hit the account until January 26, that's FOURTEEN days of sky-high interest you're being charged for the CA. If that's okay, fine, but I sure wouldn't want to pay it!

If one wants to do CA and either pay 0 fee or lower interest, CUs are great options.  CUs like Navy Fed or Penfed do not frown upon it either unlike many banks. Just a fyiSmiley Happy

Message 5 of 16
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

Yes and yes.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 6 of 16
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

If one wants to do CA and either pay 0 fee or lower interest, CUs are great options.  CUs like Navy Fed or Penfed do not frown upon it either unlike many banks. Just a fyiSmiley Happy

I definitely have a vehicle repair coming up soon and mechanics arent cheap. i was thinking of charging the repair to my mercury or legacy and quickly doing a bt to my penfed PCR which has a bt offer zero for 12 months. the cutoff date for that bt offer is march 31. 

I probably wont take a cash advance but it crossed my mind as something to ask.

so my repair interest can go from 26.99 int to zero quickly and then i can take my time paying it off, cool

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Income 40k
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 7 of 16
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

I definitely have a vehicle repair coming up soon and mechanics arent cheap. i was thinking of charging the repair to my mercury or legacy and quickly doing a bt to my penfed PCR which has a bt offer zero for 12 months. the cutoff date for that bt offer is march 31. 

so my repair interest can go from 26.99 int to zero quickly and then i can take my time paying it off, cool

Yes, but just keep in mind that if you do a BT to your PCR card, you won't be able to make any purchases on it while carrying that BT; the purchase APR isn't 0%, it's whatever rate you were approved for, and if you charge anything to your card while carrying a BT, you'll have to pay off all purchases made PLUS the ENTIRE BT in that month to avoid interest charges.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 8 of 16
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

Yes, but just keep in mind that if you do a BT to your PCR card, you won't be able to make any purchases on it while carrying that BT; the purchase APR isn't 0%, it's whatever rate you were approved for, and if you charge anything to your card while carrying a BT, you'll have to pay off all purchases made PLUS the ENTIRE BT in that month to avoid interest charges.

Thanks, i will call them tommorow

I understood if i had a charge after the bt i would have interest on the whole balance but i wasnt aware of adding a bt when i already had a balance causing that, at least that part of what you stated isnt clearly spelled out in the contract.

Anyway Discover is head and shoulders above that. i did a few balance transfers at the beginning and have new charges every month and everything is zero pct. unfortuneatly i dont presently have a bt offer from disco.

The PCR also has a sub, 100 for 1500 spend first 90 days. i presently have a balance of 147.00 but if i chase the sub i might have a balance at 3/31. I might elect to just pay my current balance and not chase the sub and just do a bt, I have to think it over.

Income 40k
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 9 of 16
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

@OmarGB9 wrote:

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

Thanks, i will call them tommorow

I understood if i had a charge after the bt i would have interest on the whole balance but i wasnt aware of adding a bt when i already had a balance causing that, at least that part of what you stated isnt clearly spelled out in the contract.

Anyway Discover is head and shoulders above that. i did a few balance transfers at the beginning and have new charges every month and everything is zero pct. unfortuneatly i dont presently have a bt offer from disco.

The PCR also has a sub, 100 for 1500 spend first 90 days. i presently have a balance of 147.00 but if i chase the sub i might have a balance at 3/31. I might elect to just pay my current balance and not chase the sub and just do a bt, I have to think it over.

0% APR promotional balance transfer rate for 12 Months on transfers made from now until March 31, 2022. After that, the APR for the unpaid balance and any new balance transfers will be 17.99%. A 3% balance transfer fee applies to each transfer. This transaction is subject to credit approval. If you take advantage of this balance transfer, you will immediately be charged interest on all purchases made with your credit card unless you pay the entire account balance, including balance transfers, in full each month by the payment due date.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.