cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick question on Capital One Unsecured Platinum Card BUCKETS!!

tag
GZG
Valued Contributor

Re: Quick question on Capital One Unsecured Platinum Card BUCKETS!!

@MikeyMagic wrote:

@GZG wrote:

@MikeyMagic wrote:

@GZG wrote:

@MikeyMagic wrote:

@GZG wrote:

@MikeyMagic wrote:

@GZG wrote:

I wasn't sure if I wanted to do my 5th pull right now with Chase if I open a checking account, have the Discover Secured($500), Amazon Secured($200)and Cap One Unsecured($300) and not be sure Chase would accept me. I've gone back and forth with that. Maybe I should wait 3 months and then open the Chase account and try for the Freedom Rise. Or obv wait a year and go for a little higher card.

What do you think? Thanks again so very much!!

you have three cards, which means you're 3 revolving accounts/24 months in Chase's eyes, they care about new revolving cards on your report, their 5/24 rule is for new accounts, not inquires 

I'd open the checking now and use chase checking, there's a $900 offer currently: https://account.chase.com/consumer/banking/checkingandsavingsoffer 

I'd probably wait a full year for the credit card, or wait for your account to populate with pre-approvals, let those cards all age to be at least a year old and then if you want to get into chase, apply for a freedom flex or unlimited 

I like your advice. I can't qualify for any of extra money but regardless I think it would be good to open a Chase checking account soon and use it a bunch. Then with a year of building up my credit and having a bit of a relationship with Chase I'll do your suggestion and apply for a Freedom Flex or Unlimited. I don't know I could be wrong but I just don't believe Chase would approve me now for the Rise card. I think they want people to have Rise as their 1st card only and I already have 3(albeit fairly new). Maybe I'm wrong but I just don't think I'd be approved so I'm going the "wait a year" route lol. 

you'd be surprised what will work as a direct deposit, don't waive it off completely just because you're self-employed and you're not 'employed'  

the biggest thing once you have chase checking though, is that you'll be able to see 'just for you' offers in your chase portal, where you might end up getting pretty solid pre-approval offers 

I'd let your credit history build over the next year, no new cards, and once your cards reach 13 months, if you don't have a pre-approval, I'd probably let an application go for a freedom flex/unlimited card 

image.pngimage.png

Starting FICO 8:
Current FICO 8:

2/6, 3/12, 11/24
Message 11 of 12
MikeyMagic
Frequent Contributor

Re: Quick question on Capital One Unsecured Platinum Card BUCKETS!!

@GZG wrote:

@MikeyMagic wrote:

@GZG wrote:

@MikeyMagic wrote:

@GZG wrote:

@MikeyMagic wrote:

@GZG wrote:

@MikeyMagic wrote:

@GZG wrote:

I wasn't sure if I wanted to do my 5th pull right now with Chase if I open a checking account, have the Discover Secured($500), Amazon Secured($200)and Cap One Unsecured($300) and not be sure Chase would accept me. I've gone back and forth with that. Maybe I should wait 3 months and then open the Chase account and try for the Freedom Rise. Or obv wait a year and go for a little higher card.

What do you think? Thanks again so very much!!

you have three cards, which means you're 3 revolving accounts/24 months in Chase's eyes, they care about new revolving cards on your report, their 5/24 rule is for new accounts, not inquires 

I'd open the checking now and use chase checking, there's a $900 offer currently: https://account.chase.com/consumer/banking/checkingandsavingsoffer 

I'd probably wait a full year for the credit card, or wait for your account to populate with pre-approvals, let those cards all age to be at least a year old and then if you want to get into chase, apply for a freedom flex or unlimited 

I like your advice. I can't qualify for any of extra money but regardless I think it would be good to open a Chase checking account soon and use it a bunch. Then with a year of building up my credit and having a bit of a relationship with Chase I'll do your suggestion and apply for a Freedom Flex or Unlimited. I don't know I could be wrong but I just don't believe Chase would approve me now for the Rise card. I think they want people to have Rise as their 1st card only and I already have 3(albeit fairly new). Maybe I'm wrong but I just don't think I'd be approved so I'm going the "wait a year" route lol. 

you'd be surprised what will work as a direct deposit, don't waive it off completely just because you're self-employed and you're not 'employed'  

the biggest thing once you have chase checking though, is that you'll be able to see 'just for you' offers in your chase portal, where you might end up getting pretty solid pre-approval offers 

I'd let your credit history build over the next year, no new cards, and once your cards reach 13 months, if you don't have a pre-approval, I'd probably let an application go for a freedom flex/unlimited card 

image.pngimage.png

Should I avoid upgrading to the QS 1 whenever eventually if that opportunity presents itself? I've read a lot of threads on here now and it seems not many people like the QS 1 lol. Even for a beginner like me if I get it I should expect to almost have a chance to upgrade it. 

I'm hoping I get a chance to go from Platinum to QS to Savor but not sure if that happens a lot with this Platinum Unsecured Card I have.

I'm also noticing most don't seem to like the Venture Cards unless it's Venture X. Am I wrong on that?

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.