Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ready to be done with Capital One. Need some advice

tag
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Ready to be done with Capital One. Need some advice

So, did you have offers to upgrade or combine and they declined, or did you just call in and ask them to do it? Because it would be odd to click the upgrade link and get declined after.

Message 11 of 14
pip3man
Valued Contributor

As far as contacting Executive Resolutions regarding request like this, I’m sorry to burst ya bubble but don’t waste ya time (take it from me). In the past they were able to handle credit line concerns but it’s no longer the case anymore and just recently there were changes to the response turnaround times so unlike before when u can expect to hear back pretty quick, now no specific timeframes are given meaning it could potentially take up to weeks.

I know it sucks to be stuck with a low limit but I really wish people would understand that many of the processes at CO are systematic. It’s not like the bank refuses to increase customers credit line, it’s all done and handled by the system amongst other complex parameters that’s involved in Credit decisioning. So if you don’t specifically have an offer ID in your account, then there’s only little one can do for you. My best advise to u and I think u should heed it, is go ahead and apply for a new account, you may be pleasantly surprised provided ur overall credit is in good shape. There’s the no AF QS, Savor and Venture family cards to choose from. Good luck 

Message 12 of 14
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So here is my current Capital One situation.  I have 4 cards.  Two quicksilver MC's, CLI's of $900 and $1250.  One Quicksilver 1 MC, CLI of $1250 with a $39/yearly fee.  Then I have a big one, a Quicksilver Visa with a $10,000 limit.  That card is my daily driver.  I don't use the other three.  I've tried for a year now to get Capital One to combine the cards but they refuse.  They provide no reason why, just the general message on the website.  I've tried for a year to get the card with the annual fee upgraded but they refuse.  They provide no reason why.  I am a little over 2 years out of BK discharge.  I have a cash forward card with Barclay, but only a $3000 limit.  If I could get a $10,000 limit with them, I'd cancel all my Capital One cards and go striclty to Barclay. 

I've been receiving Discover offers in the mail daily.  They want me to apply.  On the pre-qualify website, I get a firm APR offer of 13.49%.  I am thinking about going to Discover, but am curious what starting limits are normal.  My real Fico score is 723.

So with all of that being said.  Should I just stick with Capital One and close the cards I am no longer using?  Should I seriously consider moving on from Capital One?  They've served me good.  I started with a $300 card and have built up my profile.

1. Definitely close the account with an annual fee.

2. Perhaps open an account with Discover but don't "move" over, best not to have all your eggs in one basket.

3. Forget Barclay, it's every bit as weird and low class as Capital One.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 13 of 14
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

My discover SL was $9k and got $500 CLI few months later and another $3k few months after that.

I spend A LOT and my other CLs were higher.  YMMV.

For $29 or $39 I would hang on for another year.

Worst case, close the the AF card.

Cap One has treated me like a king, Barclays has been ok, but no where near as generous.

YMMV.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.