Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really need some advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Really need some advice

Delta Amex is useful too..A few years back I closed cards that I thought werent good enough which turned out to be a mistake because I should have just gardened them and had to start all over. Please dont make that same mistake but I agree with getting rid of credit one and cap plat. 

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd close whatever card I felt was no longer working for me, and not worry about losing a few points here and there, I'll get em back. ESPECIALLY if that card has a AF. Not gonna pay ya to keep a card in my wallet just to say I have it.  I have 5 cards, but 2 are on the chopping block soon as I close this mortgage.  They have AFs and I'm phasing out any card that has a AF, and replace them with 2 non AF, nice reward cards.  

I don't need or want 50k in available credit spread out over 10+ cards.  Don't have time, or inclination to manage all that, and live in fear some joker hacks a card with 25k credit line.  But that's just me, many have a opposite view, there is no right or wrong way.

The only caveat being if I was in a mortgage process than I'd let em ride till I closed.

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd close whatever card I felt was no longer working for me, and not worry about losing a few points here and there, I'll get em back. ESPECIALLY if that card has a AF. Not gonna pay ya to keep a card in my wallet just to say I have it.  I have 5 cards, but 2 are on the chopping block soon as I close this mortgage.  They have AFs and I'm phasing out any card that has a AF, and replace them with 2 non AF, nice reward cards.  

I don't need or want 50k in available credit spread out over 10+ cards.  Don't have time, or inclination to manage all that, and live in fear some joker hacks a card with 25k credit line.  But that's just me, many have a opposite view, there is no right or wrong way.

The only caveat being if I was in a mortgage process than I'd let em ride till I closed.

Hmm, good point with the last line.  I'm sorta in the mortgage process?  Haven't found a home yet, but I applied, was approved etc...but I know they do one last pull the day before closing or something like that.  I'll probably let it ride until after I find and close on a house. 

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I started out this whole credit adventure with a 580 score and could barely get a Cap 1 $300.    Suffice it to say, I'm doing a lot better and managing my credit excellently.    I currently have 7 cards and I want to get rid of the subprime ones I have and get down to 3.    What I currently have:   Cap 1 Quicksilver, Cap 1 Platinum,  Credit One Visa,  Delta Amex, Barclays MC and a Walmart card.    What I want to get down to:  Venture Card (done!),  Southwest card...Barclay Arrival MC and a discover.   Should I start closing the subprime ones (Cap 1 Platiunum, Credit One Visa) and the Cap 1 QS or just leave it alone.   I honestly don't want to have this many cards just laying around.

These two. Close em.

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.