cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reapplying or Chase Freedom after being denied for too many student loans?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Reapplying or Chase Freedom after being denied for too many student loans?

Hi all,

So four months ago, I applied for a Chase Freedom card and was denied for too many student loans (I have $7000 through SM).  My only credit history were these nonrevolving student loans, and my current income is $12,000/year

Afterwards, I went and grabbed a Discover It with a $1000 CLI, and built my revolving credit history and got my FICO to 721 as of last week.

I was wondering, would it be worth it to reapply for Chase Freedom?  The card looks like it would be great, considering I also have a Chase college checking account.  If so, how long should I wait to reapply?  I read three months in one site, six months in another, etc etc, so I was hoping someone either had firsthand knowledge or any insight that could help Smiley Happy

Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

Re: Reapplying or Chase Freedom after being denied for too many student loans?

What do your reports look like?(inqs, util, baddies etc)

EDIT: Did not catch the income part Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 7
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@heyarrnold wrote:

What do your reports look like?(inqs, util, baddies etc)

And what is your income, if  you do not mind me asking? 

His Income was stated at $12,000 a year

TBH I would probably wait till your AAoA is higher to app again for the Freedom 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 3 of 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

check chase pre-qual... if you get offer go for it otherwise wait a little bit longer.

Message 4 of 7
tonyjones
Valued Contributor

That's an odd reason for denial, maybe debt to income ratio was not too good.

Current Fico Scores: (December 2023)
Message 5 of 7
jd352
Regular Contributor

When I applied for my Freedom I only had an Amex Zync for 6 months. I also had close to 50k in student debt. I was approved. Check their prequal as CreditAddict suggested. 

NPSL............... $20,700........... $15,200.......... $5,000............ $15,000............ $20,000
Current Scores: Equifax: 761 (Fico) TransUnion: 751 (Fico) Experian: 768 (Fico)
Message 6 of 7
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Chase is not big on being the first card issuer unlike Discover.  If the pre-qual site doesn't give you an offer, let the Discover age about 6 mos before reapplying

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.