Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received Instant Approval for GEMB Brooks Brothers Card

tag
ChemGuy
Frequent Contributor

Received Instant Approval for GEMB Brooks Brothers Card

Applied for Brooks Brothers Card Online and received instant approval.  However, it was for the store card and not for the platinum master card.  Initial limit is 1250 -- which won't go too far at BB.

Curiously, I had a chargeoff  with GEMB Lord & Taylor.  TU & EQ FICOS 677. 

It seems that GEMB is stingy with CLIs?  Also, does anyone have experience asking for a higher limit upon activation?

I recently was approved for the AMEX Skymiles conversion to Blue Cash.  Hopefully AMEX doesn't turn sour on me now.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Re: Received Instant Approval for GEMB Brooks Brothers Card

@ChemGuy wrote:

Applied for Brooks Brothers Card Online and received instant approval.  However, it was for the store card and not for the platinum master card.  Initial limit is 1250 -- which won't go too far at BB.

Curiously, I had a chargeoff  with GEMB Lord & Taylor.  TU & EQ FICOS 677. 

It seems that GEMB is stingy with CLIs?  Also, does anyone have experience asking for a higher limit upon activation?

I recently was approved for the AMEX Skymiles conversion to Blue Cash.  Hopefully AMEX doesn't turn sour on me now.

Congrats! Nice approval.

Yes GEMB is cheesy with CL's. If this was The Gap it would have been $500 or less. I would ask them for more at activation and see what they can do,

I had a BB card years ago and can't remember for the issuer was. Could have been the BB handled their own accounts then. Best suits going IMO.

Let's hope AMEX doesn't have a problem with a new BB account!   Smiley Tongue

Message 2 of 6
ChemGuy
Frequent Contributor

Thanks CWCID.  I think I'm done with credit apps of all kinds now.  Since my untimely misfortune back in 2003, I've amassed AMEX, Chase Freedom, and Wells Fargo cards.  The Brooks Brothers is my final card--a department store card.  No need for anymore credit cards ever.  I'm just glad that the BB card was an instant approval -- AMEX and WF were recons, and for Chase I had to threaten to withdraw the 30K sitting in my checking account.
Message 3 of 6
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

Congrats! Nice approval.

Yes GEMB is cheesy with CL's. If this was The Gap it would have been $500 or less. I would ask them for more at activation and see what they can do,

It's not GEMB that is cheesy, it's that the front company (Brooks Brothers, in this case) has set the parameters for what the CL should be and GEMB is just managing the credit program for them.  I bought some patio furniture from Ethan Allen earlier this year and they had a 12 month no interest promotion going.  Total cost of the furniture was $9,800.  Ethan Allen's credit is managed by GEMB and I applied in-store and was instantly approved for $20,000.  Obviously, a low CL like $1,250 wouldn't go very far in a furniture store so Ethan Allen has a higher limit and GEMB manages the lines to the higher limit.  GEMB takes a lot of unnecessary flack, imo.

Message 4 of 6
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

My inpression would be that GEMB gets pretty much what they deserve.

Message 5 of 6
ChemGuy
Frequent Contributor

I like you CWCID!  Keep it real Smiley Very Happy
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.