Did you mean: 

Recent Grad Needing Advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Recent Grad Needing Advice

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I am seriously shocked you got that limit with Discover! But congrats on the CSR that is AWESOME! Way to go! 

Not to toot my own horn here but I have been on a roll lately.  I even got someone approved for the CSP with credit scores 630-660.  Its about gut instincts here.   A lot of my instincts came from Monoglot.  Majority of the accounts were AUs, they were old, and with decent limits, and right off the bat, and again and again got high limits with the exception for a few cards like us bank and discover.

My pushing of the CSR wasn't just because of the big bonus.  Its because after the first year, they might get future UR signup offers, or decide to just downgrade to a no annual fee card.  Regardless, by at least trying for this, it was going to be a big starting limit, which even though the OP didnt explicitly state thats what they wanted, that was the impression I was getting.  I wanted a higher SL because I wanted to be able to put 15-30% UTL on a card and not be there with only a couple hundred dollars (which I would be with small limits like 1k, 1.5k, etc.). I don't necessarily need the big limit for a big purchase.

Granted a card with a 17k limit doesnt mean all the rest of the cards are going to be 17k+, it will certainly help for future approvals not starting out with small limits IMO.  

I still say go for the freedom so you have more 5% cats, another 15k in URs, 15 months 0%, the ability to move 7k to that card if the limit isnt as big, etc etc.  Chase should always be your first stop for apps.  The level of cashback on these bonuses doesn't even compare to 5%.  That discover limit will grow with time when used responsibly.  If not, relax enjoy your two new cards, and in a few months, go app for the CSP.

If you do app for freedom, make sure its before all time zones reach midnight which is in 5 hours and 45 minutes.  The freedom may not even be around for rmuch longer.  Theres a good chance the inquiries should merge.

Just remember to not carry a balance month after month on these rewards cards. I know some here balk at the idea of paying interest on a rewards card, but the occasional month or two is not going to break the bank.

I replied in orange to one of your points.

Just as a general update, since I was rushing to get on the road when I wrote that last reply: I decided to only apply for Discover and CSR. I mulled over this that night up until midnight, if I wanted to put in another app with Chase or not. I decided not to. I don't want to look too desperate (even though Monoglot got approved for all his cards so quickly... I just do not like that strategy), plus I had some reservations. The Freedom categories were really about the same as Discover (and honestly, I shop at Amazon a good bit, and Chase did not offer Amazon in their categories), and Discover has the double cashback for the first year. In that same boat, I don't need a 2% card until at least a year after this Discover card since it is a 2% card essentially. Because of those reasons, I thought it best to just stick with these two for now. I did seriously consider Freedom (or FU) since I would probably be given a pretty good SL given the SL given for my CSR. I am still pretty miffed at the low SL Discover gave me, but we will just see how well I can grow with them.

As for cards I am considering in the next 6 months to a year: USAA Preferred Rewards Visa Signature, Citi DC, Chase Freedom or FU, and possibly a PenFed card. After that, I would like to garden for a while. I will be purchasing a car in the next 6 months to a year.

As for making the 4k spend in 90 days, my mom offered to put some of her spending on it and then pay me back for it. She did not want to put rent on there and pay fees for it, so that's great of her.

Other than that, thanks for all the help, everyone. Cannot wait to get them both in the mail and start earning some rewards. Maybe I'll get lucky and the first CSR in the mail will be metal (although I want to change the first name on the card to my nickname, so maybe it would be better for it to be plastic at first haha)! Oh, and, jfriend33, I did ask for CSR to be expedited, and they essentially said no, because they are already expedited via UPS.

Smiley Happy

Message 31 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.