cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regret not applying for Barclays! Is it too late?

tag
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

Re: Regret not applying for Barclays! Is it too late?

@AeroKrix wrote:

@yudeology101 wrote:

@AeroKrix wrote:

@YahComb wrote:

If  you only get  "recommendations" they don't even have an actual offer for you. You'd get a "congratulations" or something like that if they had an actual pre-approval for you.

It's odd, I never get pre approved for anything. Even CapOne, but I have no problems getting credit with them. 

i was NEVER pre-approved for ANYTHING going through those pre-qual sites, but been very fortunate that i was approved for just about all the cards i wanted on my wish list.  Last week, i pulled the trigger for Arrival (AF version) but once again i tried the pre-qual from Barclays and it didn't offer me anything, nada zip. 

How many INQ and new accounts within 6 mo when you applied?

10~12 on TU.  I have 36 on EX and i lost track on my EQ

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 11 of 25
creditFiend
Established Contributor

Congrats on your approvals! I've only had Barclays a couple months & approved for Total Rewards & WMDiscover the same time. The things I've read about Barclay's, have me paranoid. I was approved for NavCheck two weeks ago, & no AA thus far. YMMV. IMO, they may not like the nine recent inquiries & accounts. I understand you wanting to maximize your rewards, but I would garden a few months with those nice new TLs, then go for Barclays a bit later. You don't want to risk a denial & another HP! But in the end, it's YOUR decision. GL!
Last app: 2/21/2016
Amex PRG (NPSL)| Amex Hilton Surpass ($17.6K)| Barclays Arrival WEM ($13K)| Barclays SM ($11K)| Capital One QS ($15K)
CareCredit (15.6K)| Chase CSP ($12K)| Chase Hyatt ($5K)| Chase FU VS ($7K)| Chase Ritz ($16.7K)| Citi DC ($2.4K)
Discover It ($4K)| Lowe's ($17K)| MSUFCU ($5K)| Nasa FCU ($20K)| Navy Cash Rewards ($20K)| Navy CLOC ($15K)
PenFed Thrifty ($500)| USAA Rate Advantage ($7K)
Message 12 of 25
elbori357
Regular Contributor

@yudeology101 wrote:

@AeroKrix wrote:

@yudeology101 wrote:

@AeroKrix wrote:

@YahComb wrote:

If  you only get  "recommendations" they don't even have an actual offer for you. You'd get a "congratulations" or something like that if they had an actual pre-approval for you.

It's odd, I never get pre approved for anything. Even CapOne, but I have no problems getting credit with them. 

i was NEVER pre-approved for ANYTHING going through those pre-qual sites, but been very fortunate that i was approved for just about all the cards i wanted on my wish list.  Last week, i pulled the trigger for Arrival (AF version) but once again i tried the pre-qual from Barclays and it didn't offer me anything, nada zip. 

How many INQ and new accounts within 6 mo when you applied?

10~12 on TU.  I have 36 on EX and i lost track on my EQ

Wondering about how sensitive they really are with INQ's.  I think that it will depend on other factors and how thick is your Credit profile. I had an app with them in Feb got approved but withdraw the application.

MyFico Pull: TU 838 EFX 841, EX 840. (14 Aug 2020) House Mortage $305k, Car Lease $60,000, AMEX ED 33,000, NFCU Signature Visa $68,000, Lowes Visa 25,000, Cap One Venture $48,000, Navcheck $15,000, Barclay WEMC Arrival+ $41,000, Cap1 Quicksilver Visa $12,000, Chase Sapphire Preferred 15k, Best Buy $19,800, . Overall Util. 2%
Message 13 of 25
YahComb
Established Contributor

i don't mean to say pre-approval or not getting a pre-approvals means all that much most of the time. I was approved for the Sapphire and Freedom at the same time back in august '12 with 1 year history, my EQ04 was slightly under 700 then. Also got approved for the Cash+ in december '12 with a sub-700 equifax (that was the score they sent, matched my scorewatch). Back at the time, a lot of ppl would have said those were wasted hard pulls, but  the closest i got to even having to recon was a couple of verification questions(no asking abouy my job and income, no explaining why i wanted chase products. a straight up verification) from Chase.

EQ-736(08/14) TU-752(09/14)
Newest to Oldest
Barc Sallie Mae 6K | Citi TY Pref 4.5K | US Bank Cash+ 10K | Chase Freedom 11.7K | Disc It 10.5K | Amazon Store 2.5K | BOA Cash Rewards 10.5K |

Closed Cards: 4 Oldest: 3yrs AAOA: 2yrs
Message 14 of 25
YahComb
Established Contributor

the timing of the inquiries matters too (along with the amont of new credit). And like you said, overall credit history too. Everything a little bit YMMV because no single metric, no matter how important we all say it is, exists in a bubble with regards to our credit reports.

@elbori357 wrote:

Wondering about how sensitive they really are with INQ's.  I think that it will depend on other factors and how thick is your Credit profile. I had an app with them in Feb got approved but withdraw the application.

EQ-736(08/14) TU-752(09/14)
Newest to Oldest
Barc Sallie Mae 6K | Citi TY Pref 4.5K | US Bank Cash+ 10K | Chase Freedom 11.7K | Disc It 10.5K | Amazon Store 2.5K | BOA Cash Rewards 10.5K |

Closed Cards: 4 Oldest: 3yrs AAOA: 2yrs
Message 15 of 25
Vegas247
Established Contributor

@AeroKrix wrote:

So I was approved for a lot cards from Jan to Mar 1st For the following...

NFCU nRewards and NavCheck, Target, Express, Sony Visa, DCU Visa, Discover, Total Rewards, and amazon(my last app)

My TU has 10 inquiries at this moment. I kind of regret not going for Barclays, due to the fact that I currently pay all my utilities and cell via CapOne CC, which total about $1200/mo. So, would Barclays decline me based on my TU FICO and inquires...no baddies or lates.

I would do it the safe and easy way. I would call the backdoor number (Barclays: 866-408-4064 (Credit Analyst) and explain like you did here that you need a card for your utilities and you spend $1200/mo.......Tell them you have those INQ's but want that Rewards MC for Utilities, and put the approval on their shoulders...Tell them that you have not yet applied, but would like their help (do you get it).....see what they say first. This number is basically the recon line,so if you app on phone with them, and they spend time working with you, they are more likely to help get you approved since they spent time with you......  This is how I would do it if I was in your situation. I feel this is a safe way to judge if you should app, and in the same time get an instant recon if needed! 

$600 Barclaycard® Rewards MasterCard® - Average Credit $6500 Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express $30k credit card16k Chase Freedom® - $200 Bonus12k VSiggy
Message 16 of 25
AeroKrix
Frequent Contributor

@Vegas247 wrote:

@AeroKrix wrote:

NFCU nRewards and NavCheck, Target, Express, Sony Visa, DCU Visa, Discover, Total Rewards, and amazon(my last app)

My TU has 10 inquiries at this moment. I kind of regret not going for Barclays, due to the fact that I currently pay all my utilities and cell via CapOne CC, which total about $1200/mo. So, would Barclays decline me based on my TU FICO and inquires...no baddies or lates.

I would do it the safe and easy way. I would call the backdoor number (Barclays: 866-408-4064 (Credit Analyst) and explain like you did here that you need a card for your utilities and you spend $1200/mo.......Tell them you have those INQ's but want that Rewards MC for Utilities, and put the approval on their shoulders...Tell them that you have not yet applied, but would like their help (do you get it).....see what they say first. This number is basically the recon line,so if you app on phone with them, and they spend time working with you, they are more likely to help get you approved since they spent time with you......  This is how I would do it if I was in your situation. I feel this is a safe way to judge if you should app, and in the same time get an instant recon if needed! 

I have never heard of applying for a card this way...this intrigues me oh so very much. i will definitely try it! I'll post my success or failure

Current 09/01/2021 EQ - 515 FAKO ; EX - 591 FICO ; TU - 598 FICO

Venmo CC $5.0K || Paypal Cashback CC $2.0K || Walmart CC $3.0K || CapOne QS1 $700 || CapOne QS $800 || Mission Lane $1.5K || Merrick $1.0K || AMEX Optima $500
Message 17 of 25
Vegas247
Established Contributor

@AeroKrix wrote:

@Vegas247 wrote:

@AeroKrix wrote:

I have never heard of applying for a card this way...this intrigues me oh so very much. i will definitely try it! I'll post my success or failure

Good luck.....Barclay is not as bad as people make them out to be. I lovemy Barclay card!

$600 Barclaycard® Rewards MasterCard® - Average Credit $6500 Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express $30k credit card16k Chase Freedom® - $200 Bonus12k VSiggy
Message 18 of 25
AeroKrix
Frequent Contributor

@Vegas247 wrote:

@AeroKrix wrote:

@Vegas247 wrote:

@AeroKrix wrote:

Good luck.....Barclay is not as bad as people make them out to be. I lovemy Barclay card!

Thanks. But I might have to wait till my CR updates. I paid off all my credit cards to $0 and left 1 reporting <10%. CapOne doesnt update till the 4th, and IME, TU updates slowwwwww. I just pulled my CR from Amex and it still shows a balance of $800/$1300. Thank goodness for daily pulls, as I'll be on the edge of my seat waiting for CapOne to update.

Current 09/01/2021 EQ - 515 FAKO ; EX - 591 FICO ; TU - 598 FICO

Venmo CC $5.0K || Paypal Cashback CC $2.0K || Walmart CC $3.0K || CapOne QS1 $700 || CapOne QS $800 || Mission Lane $1.5K || Merrick $1.0K || AMEX Optima $500
Message 19 of 25
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@Vegas247 wrote:

@AeroKrix wrote:

The backdoor number for Barclays provided is the reconsideration line, they cannot help you when applying for any new cards over the phone.  They will redirect you to a different department who handles the over-the-phone application process, so this is out of the question.  The credit card app process goes through a series of process:  issuer runs your application through a couple levels of analysis. The first is a computer program that crunches your numbers and spits out a yes or no, or holds your application for further analysis.  If the system spits out "denied", then that's where the 'Recon' department comes in to the picture, where an actual human being (an analyst) will manually look over the the app for possible overturn on decision. 

Just for kicks, i've just tried calling the Barclays' backdoor number provided (recon), and sure enough that's exactly what the analyst(ANNA)  had mentioned. 

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.