Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relatonship between different Synchrony store cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Relatonship between different Synchrony store cards

Is there any relationship between the different Synchrony store cards? Obviously, I know the different stores that use Synchrony are not connected financially etc. But, what I mean is if you have multiple cards backed by or processed through Synchrony, are there any similar practices etc in regards to being approved, CLI's etc? When I started rebuilding my credit a bit over a year ago, WalMart was one of the first cards I obtained. I had no idea about Synchrony and how they also managed or processed several other store cards. Anyway, when I was approved for WM, I was given a pathetically low $150 limit. At the time, where my scores were, I was happy to just get my foot in the door to be honest. At the time of approval, my TU FICO was 50 points lower than it is now. I recently asked for a CLI. I got denied, and received the letter in the mail:

Serious delinquicy, and public record or collection filed- Note, at the time I was approved for the WM card I had 4 negatives. At tthe time of my CLI denial, I have only 1 negative-the others have been deleted.

Length of time revoliving accounts have been established-Granted, I can understand this one somewhat. I do have other revolvers that I have opened from a year to about 6 months ago. However, I've never been late on any cards. My WM card, I have PIF, carried a balance, Ran lots of purchases through it and paid multiple times in a month, currently has zero balance.

Too few accounts paid as agreed-This is the one that hacks me off. As stated, I have the one neg which is a medical collection and almost three years old. I have a Discover IT, Barclays Rewards, Cap 1 QS, and a Buy power card. All paid as agrees, no negatives whatsoever. I have an Auto loan that is nearing it's end-zero lates, always paid as agrees. I'm also an AU on a Wells Fargo Plat and a Cap 1 Venture. Both paid as agrees, no lates at all.

Time since derogatory, public record or collection too short- As stated above, it is right at 3 years. If they have such a burr under their saddle about this one, why did they even approve me to begin with?

Now, here is where the question of the relationship between different Synchrony store cards. Recently I apped for an Amazon Store card and was instantly approved for $800. I'm a Prime member and while I dont spend a ton with Amazon, I do buy frequently.  Does each store have different criteria they tell Synchrony to examine when doing approvals and approving CLI requests? Or, is that totally under Synchrony's purview? I know when I got approved for the Amazon card, they did a HP from TU. Looking at the WM CLI denial letter, it is also citing TU but the score is lower than what it currently shows. I know they did a SP or what I wonder is if they just have an outdated copy of my CR they are basing this decision on. Edited to add, I looked at the letter again it shows below the FICO that it was from July of this year.  Would it be worthwhile to call them again and discuss these factors? Could they look in my Amazon file and use that latest HP from TU and maybe that would sway their decision?

I know to many, this is probably a non-isseue. It's a $150 card, just close it and to heck with WM. To me, it's just kind of the principle of the thing.

In closing, I know this is a wordy post and I apologize for that as well as any spelling errors. It's early, and I am still sleepy Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Relatonship between different Synchrony store cards

Each card issuer that falls under the Synchrony umbrella sets its own criteria for card issuance and also for CLI's. I asked this question recently to two of the issuers of my Synchrony accounts, and received this answer.  I received a 10k credit limit increase this week on one of my Synchrony Visa cards, and another Synchrony Visa card did not give a CLI, so I can see the different criteria in action right there.

I cannot speak to the recon issues as I've never had to recon with a Synchrony card. Hope this helps, and perhaps someone else can address recon.

Message 2 of 5
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Is there any relationship between the different Synchrony store cards? Obviously, I know the different stores that use Synchrony are not connected financially etc. But, what I mean is if you have multiple cards backed by or processed through Synchrony, are there any similar practices etc in regards to being approved, CLI's etc?

While creditors can and do vary in their underwriting criteria, indivudual products can vary as well.  I can't speak to Synchrony but I don't recommend assuming that all of any creditor's products have identical underwriting criteria -- especially for cases like Synchrony where the creditor services a number of different cards for other companies.

Don't rely too much on the reasons.  Certainly use them as a starting point but quite often they require some digging and interpreation to fully understand the concerns with your credit. profile.  Your profile also plays a part in why you're seeing these particular reasons cited.

@Anonymous wrote:

Serious delinquicy, and public record or collection filed- Note, at the time I was approved for the WM card I had 4 negatives. At tthe time of my CLI denial, I have only 1 negative-the others have been deleted.

That's a signficant improvement and should help.  However, generally speaking, 0 derogs is better than 1 derog.  A single derog can hold you down.

@Anonymous wrote:

Anyway, when I was approved for WM, I was given a pathetically low $150 limit. At the time, where my scores were, I was happy to just get my foot in the door to be honest.

Your credit and income at time of approval determine the limit that you qualify for.  You don't need to "get your foot in the door".  If your credit and income qualify they qualify.  if they do not they do not.  "Qualify" not only means approval for the card but qualifiing for a given limit, a given APR, a CLI, an APR reduction, etc.  Being approved by a creditor in the past does not guarantee approval in the future.  Again, it's all about your credit and income at the time of consideration.  Your credit could improve, it could stay the same, it could get worse.

@Anonymous wrote:

My WM card, I have PIF, carried a balance, Ran lots of purchases through it and paid multiple times in a month, currently has zero balance.

You never need to carry a balance for scoring, CLI, APR reduction, etc purposes.  Do not rely on usage.  Again, your credit and income are the primary factors.  Usage only really matters in terms of how it impacts your revolving utilization.  Many on credit forum sites liek to rely on usage, relationship and doors.  These may play a small role in specific situaitons but they will not overrule credit and income and they will not make or break an approval/CLI/reduction on their own.

@Anonymous wrote:

Length of time revoliving accounts have been established-Granted, I can understand this one somewhat. I do have other revolvers that I have opened from a year to about 6 months ago. However, I've never been late on any cards.

That's good and you have to continue to do that so you have 100% postiive Payment History going forward.  However, it doesn't make your derogs -- which are major red flags -- cease to exist.  The tendency of derogs to have a signficant scoring impact and to keep ones scores down as long as they are on reports is why we always recommend addressing them first for people who have them.  Carefully research in the Rebuilding subforum.

Generally speaking, if you want to make signficant improvements you should start with the factors with the biggest impact.

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

Derogs will kill your Payment History.  if your revolving utilization (falls under Amounts Owed) isn't in check then get it in check).  Most other factors really just take responsible usage and time to build.

Addiitionally, whether your payments are on time or not are not relevant to your AAoA (Length of Credit History) which is the concern raised by the reason above.  The only things that matter for AAoA are the ages and number of accounts.

@Anonymous wrote:

Too few accounts paid as agreed-This is the one that hacks me off. As stated, I have the one neg which is a medical collection and almost three years old. I have a Discover IT, Barclays Rewards, Cap 1 QS, and a Buy power card. All paid as agrees, no negatives whatsoever. I have an Auto loan that is nearing it's end-zero lates, always paid as agrees. I'm also an AU on a Wells Fargo Plat and a Cap 1 Venture. Both paid as agrees, no lates at all.

Time since derogatory, public record or collection too short- As stated above, it is right at 3 years. If they have such a burr under their saddle about this one, why did they even approve me to begin with?

You can get hacked off about these things but they are concerns with your profile at the time it was assessed.  The number of accounts that are not paid as agreed is too  few for your profile even if it is just one.  If you can't get the derog removed then you'll have to wait it out.

Why you were approved and why you're not getting the CLI are two separate matters so don't conflate them.  It's not unusal at all for people get approved for a card but not for CLI's.  The bars to qualify for them are not the same.  The creditor was willing to open an account with the starting limit that you received based on a review of your credit at that time.  However, your credit profile isn't sufficient for them to extend more credit at the time it was assessed for the CLI.

Odds are your profile also changed in that span of time.  Don't assume that your credit is static.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had the same thing happen to me.  My scores had improved at least 40 points but synch was using a score from 4 months ago.  Someone recommended I call Credit Solutions. (the backdoor number to synch.)

They will do a current sp and review it and get back to you hopefully with an increase.  I went from 400-3500 with WM and 300-5000 with Lowes.  

Numbers are 1-866-519-6441  or  1-877-379-8173

Always aim high and they will counter with a lower amount if you qualify.  I asked for 10000 on both and the countered with 3500 and 5000

I wish you luck.  It's not a guarentee but at I've had better luck this way than with the luv button online. Never got any increases that way.  

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I actually just started dealing with them and am amazed in a month i got approved for several cards Amazon Store card $2100 cl Belk store card $450cl Ebay Mastercard $300cl Walmart Mastercard $1600 Cl Lowes store card $1300cl all from sychrony. Prior to that i have cap 1 QS $1300 cl Cap 1 Platinum $500 and Credit One $600 for some reason 6 months ago i got denial after denial but with Cap 1 payments and cl increases i get approved for most anything i apply from with them idk if they are connected somehow or they have seperate scoring models havent found anything reliable on the internet to tell me myFico scores EQ 648 TU 733 EX 674

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.