cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reopening process experiences for Citi Card closed due to inactivity?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Reopening process experiences for Citi Card closed due to inactivity?

Citi closed one of several cards I have with them recently. It was sadly the oldest by far so it will hurt my AAoA. I also don't want to have trouble with future citi approvals for having a card that they shut down on their side which I've seen on other forums as an secondary issue. 

Therefore, I called in to request reopening despite the hard pull that comes with it. The CS agent took my info, but didn't give me immediate feedback. She was collecting the information for a credit analyst who would be in conact in 5-7 days via mail which generally makes me think they mean "no".

My credits is in the 820+ range and no problems ever so I really can't see why they wouldn't approve. I stil haven't seen the HP show either.

Has anyone else done a reopen on an inactive line closure with citi & was it all by mail or could you do it over the phone? Should I just call the recon line and talk to a credit analyst directly? Or roll dice and wait for this mailing?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Reopening process experiences for Citi Card closed due to inactivity?

Sorry to hear about this, but thanks for the reminder to dust off a Citi card I don't really ever use. 

If it's not re-opened, remember it will stay on your file for 10 years, so it won't hurt your AAoA for quite a while. 

Message 2 of 9
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Citi closed one of several cards I have with them recently. It was sadly the oldest by far so it will hurt my AAoA.

Read the Closing Credit Cards thread linked in the Helpful Threads sticky.

If you want to avoid closure due to inactivity then confirm polcies on the matter with each of your creditors and ensure that you meet at least the minimum requirements.

@Anonymous wrote:

I also don't want to have trouble with future citi approvals for having a card that they shut down on their side which I've seen on other forums as an secondary issue.  

You're also misundertanding impact here.  Closure due to inactivity will not cause you problems.  Future approvals will be based on your entire credit profile and income at time of consideration.

@Anonymous wrote:

She was collecting the information for a credit analyst who would be in conact in 5-7 days via mail which generally makes me think they mean "no". 

Do not assume results based on "X days".  All that means is that it will take time for the required manual intervention.

That said, I don't recommend expecting that they will reopen.  If they do, great!  However, if you want to avoid such closures then maintain your accounts.

@Anonymous wrote:

My credits is in the 820+ range and no problems ever so I really can't see why they wouldn't approve

It is never just about score.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got the letter which said they were reviewing my request and included T&Cs for old card - normal interest, fee, cash advance info sheets. No hard pull still after almost 2 weeks. Interesting.

Message 4 of 9
L-TWT
Established Contributor

Per Credit Card Act, once a CC is closed by a lender or customer, said card can not be re-opened under prior terms, the consumer may apply for a new account, if still available, with new T&C's

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

To the OP, do you have an update on this issue? My Thankyou Citi card was also closed (2 days ago) due to inactivity. I am just not very confident as far as the "re-opening" process. It would be nice if they could just re-instate your card as to keep the original opening date and terms. This card could potentially harm my credit account average (recency).

1. It seems that a closed account in good standing will stay in my report for 10 years? So, why even bother re-opening?

2. Hard inquiry to re-open would affect my credit score so much more than potentially leaving it closed? (my utilization rate is not an issue, i only have $100 in cc debt)

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, 800ormore, they finally completed the reopening process - it is glacial with multiple paper mailings and lots of call center staff who know nothing. In the end it took one HP on TU only for me.

The account is now listed as open again with the original open date from many years ago and all history reporting as soon as the new statement cut. I confirmed that it was accurate on all 3 bureaus.  The HP did not affect my score on TU. I'm in the 800s on all 3 as well. HP will be gone in 24 more months, but accounts stay much longer. 

The other reason I did it is that some other forums have indicated that if you get shut down by Citi for inactivity it can affect future automatic approvals with Citi products. Plus I like to be in control of when/where/how my credit accounts are changed/closed/opened - not Citi.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Glad it worked out for you in the end. What was the reason it was closed?

Message 8 of 9
NRB525
Super Contributor

Congratulations on getting the card reopened.

Regarding Citi and closed accounts, I tend to doubt that has a long term impact, as long as the card was just paying in terms. I'm working two closed Citi cards with balances, one of them I closed, the other they closed, both still have balances, both are still within terms.

I got the Diamond Preferred in 2012.

I got two AA Platinum cards, July and January

I got the Hilton card in March.

I wish I could get at least one of the closed cards re-activated, but alas, it's been more than 30 days since 2009 Smiley Sad

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.