cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request CL Decreases on open CCs in order to get a new card with higher CL?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Request CL Decreases on open CCs in order to get a new card with higher CL?

Wife has approx $30K in credit across 3 different cards (0 balance)

10K on a card we want to keep (we use everyday, only 9.89% APR, usair miles visa)

there is a 10K card that has been opened for about 10 years she should definitely not close, correct? 

and the other 10K is between two cards that are recently opened, 2-4 years old.

We want to get another miles card with a high CL, what is best?

Close the cards, or request CL decreases to say 1K? I am afraid if we go ahead and apply now for the new card, they will say she has too much credit available already.

I was thinking close the 2 more recently opened cards, which lowers the CL by about 10K, and perhaps request a decrease on the 10K card that is old,,, best to keep that history open, yes? will any of this be BAD for her score etc?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Strepthroat
Frequent Contributor

Re: Request CL Decreases on open CCs in order to get a new card with higher CL?

Not sure if CLD would have an effect on her approval.  I had a little over $80,000 spread across a few cards; yesterday I applied for a CLI with one card an a new card at local credit union.  Approved for both with no issues.

Chase Marriott Visa $25,000 | Chase Southwest Visa $25,000 | PFCU Visa $20,000 | Capital One Savor $20,000 | Nordstrom Visa $20,000 | GUCU Visa $10,500 | CapitalOne Quicksilver Visa $10,000 | US Bank Perks Visa $9,000 | Barclays Cash Forward Visa $6,000 | BB&T Spectrum Cash Visa $3,500
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

You have nothing to worry about. Keep all the cards open and apply for a new one if you would like.

Message 3 of 12
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

Call in to your 10yr old card and ask for a CLI if you haven't already. Closing out cards won't get you a higher CL. What are the 3 CCs you have? What airline you fly most often?
Message 4 of 12
steffiejoe
Contributor

I wouldnt request a CLD. If she has the income and the DTI  to support the available credit then there should be no problem.

Your credit score
Source: Equifax Date: April 29, 2015
Message 5 of 12
TangMeister
Frequent Contributor

Don't close or CLD any cards for any creditor or in the concern it will prohibit new approvals.  Many of us have 6x - 7x our annual income in credit limits, so unless she makes $4k per year, she should be fine.  Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

the card we both have a joint on is a usair visa - 9.89%

she has a citicard that is 23% (LOL) about 4500 CL

Two BOA cards, just random rewardless cards one 10,000 CL and the other 5500 CL

We travel USair and United exclusively.

I have a barclays US Air (6K CL) as well that I use for work.

I would like for her to apply for a US Air or United card for me to use for work with a much higher CL then 6K. Is it best to apply for a personal or business CC? (thinking about her applying for a barclays usair card as well, or chase united...or both.) 

Her Equifax score is currently 757 with 20K in debt showing on her credit cards. We paid off that 20K this month which should then report as 0 balance in a week or two. I assume that will bump up her score quite nicely.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Leave your current cards alone and let the payments report. The United card is one of the best mileage cards out there, which I'm sure you know. I don't think you'll have any issue obtaining it with a decent limit.
Message 8 of 12
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Leave your current cards alone and let the payments report. The United card is one of the best mileage cards out there, which I'm sure you know. I don't think you'll have any issue obtaining it with a decent limit.

+1

Message 9 of 12
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

I'll also throw my hat in the ring that you shouldn't close any of your other cards or CLD them.  If you get denied, unlikely, or you get a CL that you are unsatisfied with, you could call and ask them whether they would give you a higher CL if you decreased your CL on one of your other cards.  But I wouldn't do it without talking to them. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.