Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restaurant 5% card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Restaurant 5% card?

@Anonymous wrote:
http://www.doctorofcredit.com/credit-cards/cash-back/marukai-premium-jcb-card-review/ The chart in this website says you have to spend over $20k to get close to 3%...does this look correct?

Depends what you mean by close. At $5,000 it's given you an effective 2.7% rate after annual fees, bonuses, and the reduced rewards from the first two tiers. That's solid in my book, even if it doesn't meet the psychological 3% barrier. But you're earning 3% per dollar by then already so every purchase gets you closer to a 3% average rate.

Message 11 of 33
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
http://www.doctorofcredit.com/credit-cards/cash-back/marukai-premium-jcb-card-review/ The chart in this website says you have to spend over $20k to get close to 3%...does this look correct?

lol i just found that and posted it on another thread. yes basically anything above 10 grand you are slowly inching towards the 3... but even at 20 grand u arent at 3

Well, of course, because you get less than 3% on fthe first $3K, so you will never reach 3%, but as your spend gets high you get close enough.

Same with AF cards.   If you just use BCP for groceries, you are getting less than 5% once you take the AF into account.

Message 12 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Depends what you mean by close. At $5,000 it's given you an effective 2.7% rate after annual fees, bonuses, and the reduced rewards from the first two tiers. That's solid in my book, even if it doesn't meet the psychological 3% barrier. But you're earning 3% per dollar by then already so every purchase gets you closer to a 3% average rate.

thats not even 500 a month of spend. That isnt too bad actually. Something to think about.

Message 13 of 33
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

For those who still have it, the Citi Forward still gives 5% on restaurants (well, 5TYP per $ which can be less or more than 5%, depending how you redeem and if you have Premier/Prestige)     But not available to new apps.

Message 14 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah...I would really like a citi forward. Too bad no more apping...

What other 5x do they offer? I thought they nerfed it A LOT. 

Message 15 of 33
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah...I would really like a citi forward. Too bad no more apping...

What other 5x do they offer? I thought they nerfed it A LOT. 

5x on entertainment, dining, and bookstores (including Amazon).  

The 5x was actually unnerfed, at one stage there was a yearly max, and that went away.   Then the briefly produced a useless 1x version (like the older Thank You Preferred, before it got categories) and then quickly dropped it .   But the 5x, for reasons best known to Citi, was left still working and earning.   And once the newer version of the Premier and Prestige came along, TYP became more valuable

Message 16 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

i'm honestly jealous. wish i turned 18 before they removed it. anyway to PC to it? 

Message 17 of 33
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

i'm honestly jealous. wish i turned 18 before they removed it. anyway to PC to it? 

No, and if there was, they would helfully PC you to the 1% version. 

Have to marry into it!

Message 18 of 33
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Can't PC to it. There is no way to get it other than already having it. Sorry. I'd like it too, but it's gone.

Although there are rumors you can still PC to a Citi Dividend which is also discontinued, but it was discontinued far more recently. The Forward has been gone for 2+ years.

Message 19 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had one and let it go (Forward 5X), as mentioned on the other thread. AA Exec 100K churning was too tempting and I had to free up some exposure.

Message 20 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.