Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SDFCU Info

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

SDFCU Info

I need details on SDFCU; I'm eligible through ACC membership...

This would be much easier than getting the DD214 to join NFCU;

BUT -- how strict is SDFCU's Credit Requirements?

What Credit Scores do they require for their credit cards?

Do they issue to 6 Month Old credit or require over a year?

Any details known is appreciated!!!

Thanks! Smiley Happy

10 REPLIES 10
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Re: SDFCU Info

I have no idea what their requirements are for credit. I opened a secure credit card with them. No credit check or hard inquiry. After 12 months it would graduate. I like their secure card. No AF, No Foreign Transaction Fees.

Message 2 of 11
blindambition
Senior Contributor

This CU depends on who you ask. Some like them, and others not so much.

They are known to be very conservative. I've heard their software is very antiquated, but a trade off with some CU. For credit, pOI is required. I believe paystubs.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Red1Blue Did your card graduate yet? Graduation details? Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 11
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Red1Blue Did your card graduate yet? Graduation details? Smiley Happy

I opened my card in November 2019. Have to wait few more months. 

Message 5 of 11
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

KC1996,

SDFCU is a very extremely conservative credit union, but they will work with you. They have older systems, compared to others, but it gets the job done. Unless something changed, SDFCU wants to see a least a year of solid credit history. They do require POI on your first loan app.  When I applied for my credit card, I had to send in my last two pay stubs. After that I never had to send POI again. On my first credit card app, it was declined, but I got a recon that got it approved. SDFCU actually has a committee to review reconsideration requests. 

Since joining years ago, I get auto CLI's usually once a year and the preapproved loan offers regularly. 

I actually enjoy using them and don't have a bad thing to say about them. If you are willing to jump through a few hoops and use older systems, give them a try.

Guyatthebeach

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have both NFCU and SDFCU, and I like both.

My complaint about SDFCU is that they outsource their customer service.  The customer service is US based, but I feel they don't necessarily have all the information.  When you ask them questions, you can tell they are reading the answers from a computer screen.  It's not a big deal, but I would prefer to have customer service agents that actually work for SDFCU. 

I do like SDFCU, but I prefer Navy.  If you are eligible for both, then get both.

Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 11
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I need details on SDFCU; I'm eligible through ACC membership...

This would be much easier than getting the DD214 to join NFCU;

BUT -- how strict is SDFCU's Credit Requirements?

What Credit Scores do they require for their credit cards?

Do they issue to 6 Month Old credit or require over a year?

Any details known is appreciated!!!

Thanks! Smiley Happy

I heard good things about SDFCU, but they are not going to be as generous as Navy.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

One other thing about SDFCU, if you already have a bunch of other cards, then they most likely will NOT approve you. 

Message 9 of 11
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

One other thing about SDFCU, if you already have a bunch of other cards, then they most likely will NOT approve you. 

I have heard this, too, and it has kept me from applying.  I really like their 2% card with no foreign transaction fees and true chip+PIN (i.e., PIN priority).

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.