Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SEVERE credit limit decrease HELP

tag
Jesi
New Contributor

Re: SEVERE credit limit decrease HELP

Seems pretty ignorant to me to risk my life to pay a $25 bill and I'm 100% sure none of you would have either. When there's trees and power lines falling down all over the city and the mayor is closing schools, stores, and telling everyone to stay inside, it would not be wise to sit in a vehicle making a phone call to pay a $25 credit card bill.

I'd prefer to stay on topic and stop being belittled over petty things. I don't judge the people that have ruined their credit by making bad choices, if they ask for help on here I help them, if I can't help, I move on, I don't ask them why they rang up several credit cards and then filed bankruptcy. If you have information on who I can speak with at Synchrony, I'll gratefully take it. Otherwise, I'm sure the moderators and I as well don't see the point in commenting on the woulda coulda shoulda's. It was a life threatening situation. It was a $25 payment. Sorry I took the smart road and wasn't trying to win a Darwin Award.

Message 11 of 58
happypill
Valued Contributor

Your score will recover as soon as you get the util down on that card.  You should probably do it sooner rather than later, before the low score starts impacting your other cards and a vicious cycle starts.

If you have 15 cards with Synchrony that's too many and they are very sensitive so be careful.  Let's be honest, $471 is not a lot of money if you have a pile of other cards with $5k+ limits.  You need to pay it off completely if possible because they are likely balance chasing you at this point (you can guess by the odd limit they set).  If you can't pay it off, BT it to another card with a higher limit.

The utilization impact on your score is a snapshot in time, so as soon as you pay it down your score will recover.  This is really a minor problem with a very straightforward solution.  Getting hysterical isn't going to change anything.  Your choices are to pay it down or BT.

Message 12 of 58
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

@Jesi wrote:

Again, I don't live near any family, my power was knocked out for 6 days, I was more concerned with saving the food we had in the fridge and keeping my pets and children from dying in the cold, it was still winter and even though it's spring now, here in the Buffalo, NY area, it's freezing still. I wasn't going to walk in a tundra 10 miles to I don't know, a library just to pay a $25 credit card payment. Payphones also no longer exist. I planned on just paying the fee and worrying about it when I had power again. I mean it was national news that the northeast dealt with this and our lovely politicians sent all of our plow people to NYC to take care of them instead of us. We got slammed with this wind storm and then 2 days later we got pounded with snow, which is no big deal since we're Buffalonians, but we still do need plows and they weren't plowing at all. So once the tree and debris was removed there were travel warnings and bans, the malls were all closed on the following Monday and Tuesday because of the snow so I couldn't have even driven to a Gap store at that point to pay it. My only option was phone which was dead due to no power. I'm just grateful that the house and car weren't damaged badly enough to completely ruin my life, thank god for insurance. I could see if this was several months late but it was my first late, ever, and it was $25 which seems incredibly meager to me and silly to decrease the thousands I had to less than half of $1,000 over it.

Well if you're just going to be an arse to everyone you might as well get treated like one. You planned on paying late. You made your decision and so your score drops and so does your credit limit. In the grand scheme of things, this really doesn't matter much if you have many other cards. You didn't risk your life for this...I don't think anyone was asking you to. We are just giving suggestions and ideas based off of the limited knowledge we had. When you post to a public forum don't expect everyones' answers to be to your liking.

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 13 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fifteen Synchrony cards?! Smiley Surprised

I agree with happypill - that's way too many. In fact, having 15 cards at all is probably too many, but then I'm playing it conservatively these days when it comes to credit, having learned some hard lessons from my past mistakes. I only have one Synchrony card (Amazon Store Card), because I buy a lot of stuff there; I was considering getting CareCredit (also Synchrony) but decided against it because I've seen too many negative stories about that card here and elsewhere.

But we're really not talking about me. I do understand that you faced serious issues with your power being off for 6 days and the nearest Gap store where you could pay being an hour away, but again, I have to ask; wasn't there any other way you could have gotten online - gone to a friend (I understand you have no family living nearby) or neighbor who did have electricity and was willing to let you log on to their computer or power up to use your own device, or done the payment from work if you had access to a computer there and your work wasn't too sticky about personal use? I genuinely am having a hard time seeing how you had no alternatives whatever in this situation.

P.S. I also understand you're upset and under stress, but there's no need to be snippy with people who are trying to help you...

Message 14 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

If i am in this situatuation ,this is what i would like to hear. RELAX. relax and relax. Take a deep breath. Its just a credit report and no matter how it looks its certainly NOT worth creating immense stress within yourself. You & your peace of mind is more valuable than some report or score. Always remember what is important . Is it worth putting your mind through so much stress over an incident that could not be controlled? You did all you could. We  have designed a system where credit report matters so much that one late payment due unavoidable reasons can create such problems for one's living then what does that tell us? Time to change such extreme systems. Nothing is worth subjecting oneself to stress or suffering. First step is to accept what is . Fine you could not control everything here and you did your best ,get yourself off the hook here. Then we have the whole credit and banking system designed to freak out at one late payment . This is something that will change as we refuse to fall under stress and begin to discover new ways of commerce. But right now play with in the system. Accept what is . If the score drops for a few days so what? Time to learn ways to be more independent and not dependent on a credit system to dictate how we live our lives. It is what it is. And it was meant to be otherwise it would not have happened . Do what you can and let go of what you cant control at the moment. Continue to make your payments after few months they may increase your limit. If not dont use that card often. My point is use the credit system but not let it control how you feel. Nothing is worth loosing one's peace of mind. 

Message 15 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

First of all I am glad that your family and pets are all ok. That is important. And sorry that you had to go through such difficult situation with power outage and all. And RELAX. relax and relax. Take a deep breath. Its just a credit report and no matter how it looks its certainly NOT worth creating immense stress within yourself. You & your peace of mind is more valuable than some report or score. Always remember what is important . Is it worth putting your mind through so much stress over an incident that could not be controlled? You did all you could. We  have designed a system where credit report matters so much that one late payment due unavoidable reasons can create such problems for one's living then what does that tell us? Time to change such extreme systems. Nothing is worth subjecting oneself to stress or suffering. First step is to accept what is . Fine you could not control everything here and you did your best ,get yourself off the hook here. Then we have the whole credit and banking system designed to freak out at one late payment . This is something that will change as we refuse to fall under stress and begin to discover new ways of commerce. But right now play with in the system. Accept what is . If the score drops for a few days so what? Time to learn ways to be more independent and not dependent on a credit system to dictate how we live our lives. It is what it is. And it was meant to be otherwise it would not have happened . Do what you can and let go of what you cant control at the moment. Continue to make your payments after few months they may increase your limit. If not dont use that card often. My point is use the credit system but not let it control how you feel. Nothing is worth loosing one's peace of mind.  

Message 16 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to hear this happened to you, Jesi. I know it can be upsetting when you've been a good customer.

Unfortunately, Synchrony has been cutting credit limits for all sorts of reasons such as non-use of the cardfor as few as 3-4 months. You may also have read in the forums that they have been sending out a lot of blue envelopes as well.

I have never seen a single situation of a person beong able to call Synchrony and have their credit limits restored. Nor have I seen an EO that they will ever let a customer speak with.

I don't think there is any option to pursue directly with Synchrony. Perhaps another suggestion would be a personal loan ( may be at a very high interest rate if your FICO is low), or borrowing from a family member or friend. Another suggestion may be to take on a second job or a temporary job for a few months to help pay that amount down.

Good luck and hope all is better after the storm now.
Message 17 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do agree with happypill that 15 Synchrony cards is a lot, and Synchrony is known to be very sensitive.

It may be worth closing a few of those cards in order to stay a bit low on the radar screen.
Message 18 of 58
Jesi
New Contributor

Message 19 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is not any reason to be rude, and there are people on here trying to help you.
Message 20 of 58
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.