Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPG Amex still worth getting?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

SPG Amex still worth getting?

I know Starpoints have a high redemption value but with the merger with Marriott is it still worth applying for especially since we don't know what exactly the future holds as far as the program is concerned? I'm looking to possibly apply. I'm getting the 30k sign up bonus offer to pop up. Thanks in advance, guys!

Message 2 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

SPG personal worth getting still? Plus SPG personal card and Amex Plat possible on one hard pull?

I know SPG points are of high value but with the Marriott merger long term is it worth getting at this point? If I was able to get the SPG card could I still apply and be possibly approved for the Amex Platinum on the same hard pull since it's a charge card? Anyone experience this? I would love feedback. Thanks guys!

Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: SPG Amex still worth getting?

I have had mine since 07 and I have to say it's a top notch card for me...but you have to look at your situation and would you use the benefits offered? I love the 50% off Starwood properties (one of my anniversary benefits) because I can save serious bucks for our vacations for a 5 star stay and then there is the other redemption values I use...and of course the AMEX services are always a plus, IDK if the Marriott merger is going to hurt the card, but from what I've seen in past mergers with AMEX taking over...things either stayed the same or got better  

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have had mine since 07 and I have to say it's a top notch card for me...but you have to look at your situation and would you use the benefits offered? I love the 50% off Starwood properties (one of my anniversary benefits) because I can save serious bucks for our vacations for a 5 star stay and then there is the other redemption values I use...and of course the AMEX services are always a plus, IDK if the Marriott merger is going to hurt the card, but from what I've seen in past mergers with AMEX taking over...things either stayed the same or got better  

I think I would. I love the promos that they always have going on especially the birth year pricing and many others. The high point value is the icing on the cake for me. Plus, my girlfriend loves SPG properties and it would be a great way to earn points for our vacations as well as have the option to transfer points to airlines. 

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I think I would. I love the promos that they always have going on especially the birth year pricing and many others. The high point value is the icing on the cake for me. Plus, my girlfriend loves SPG properties and it would be a great way to earn points for our vacations as well as have the option to transfer points to airlines. 

I can tell you they seriously spoil you at SPG properties Smiley Happy ..for instance last summer when we went to see the rat (mickey mouse) son and I stayed at the Dolphin..got room upgrade because I used card, 50% off our 10 day stay, gift basket in room on check-in and spa GC from managements in house "welcome AMEX SPG" members and they didn't forget son...he had some GC for non-rat activities and if I remember right I also got some discounts (20% off bill) on dining when I used card on property to pay for snack & meals...it was a great vacation and then I took my points from that stay and added to airline miles and that's what I;m using for this years vacation Smiley Happy  win-win

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I can tell you they seriously spoil you at SPG properties Smiley Happy ..for instance last summer when we went to see the rat (mickey mouse) son and I stayed at the Dolphin..got room upgrade because I used card, 50% off our 10 day stay, gift basket in room on check-in and spa GC from managements in house "welcome AMEX SPG" members and they didn't forget son...he had some GC for non-rat activities and if I remember right I also got some discounts (20% off bill) on dining when I used card on property to pay for snack & meals...it was a great vacation and then I took my points from that stay and added to airline miles and that's what I;m using for this years vacation Smiley Happy  win-win

That's awesome! Sounds like they treated you well. I actually live in Orlando. I know this may be off topic but how was the Dolphin hotel? 

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

At the very least the 30,000 SPG bonus is worth 90,000 Marriott points, which is higher than the signup bonus for Chase's Marriott card.  That being said, the elite nights are likely not worthwhile any longer (there's a chance Marriott will transfer them over but I'm not sure I would bank on them having any value).  If you plan on spending a lot of money at SPG properties in the near future, you can actually get more value in Marriott's program than with the Marriott card, since you can transfer to Marriott on a 1:3 basis. The catch is that you can only transfer in multiples of 1000 SPG points.  

So there is value, but you have to ask yourself whether there's value that actually works for you.  The signup bonus, though, is lucrative, and you can get it without paying an annual fee the first year, which is probably as long as the card has left going for it.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That's awesome! Sounds like they treated you well. I actually live in Orlando. I know this may be off topic but how was the Dolphin hotel? 

It's perfect!!! as you know in FL hotel rooms most have that "funny moldy smell"..nope not them and I have stayed in alot there in Orlando (even deluxe on rat property had it), the room was larger then average and of course the beds are like sleeping in a cloud! I loved being able to watch fireworks from Epcot on our balcony and room service is 5 star eats (I would even say better then restaurants), the SPG property off the Cortney Campbell Causeway across from Tampa is almost as good, but the villas have a touch of the FL "purfume"..lol 

If you want some serious "cred" with GF..take her there for a couple of days for a little pamper time Smiley Happy on "off season..rates are even better on weekends

Message 8 of 13
red259
Super Contributor

Re: SPG personal worth getting still? Plus SPG personal card and Amex Plat possible on one hard pull

@Anonymous wrote:

I know SPG points are of high value but with the Marriott merger long term is it worth getting at this point? If I was able to get the SPG card could I still apply and be possibly approved for the Amex Platinum on the same hard pull since it's a charge card? Anyone experience this? I would love feedback. Thanks guys!

I like my SPG card. I don't use it as much as I used to because I got the amex business blue, but starpoints are awesome and I kept it over my marriott card. I think you could get two amex cards in the same pull if you app the same day but others will need to chime in on that. If it were me and its a card that interests you I'd get the spg now because who knows what the future will hold. Amesx is going to go exclusive with hilton so they may be much more likely to let spg go to chase. That is just speculation though since I don't have any inside info. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Am I misunderstanding this thread or is it possible to get 50% off a Starwood hotel using the SPG card?
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.