Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SWEET APR!

tag
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

SWEET APR!

i called amex on tuesday to lower my hilton hhonors apr. the lady on the phone was very nice, of course. i received an apr reduction from 15.24 to 12.24. exited from my success, i decided i would ask if she would also lower my amex blue cash everyday as well. she kindly checked and could not offer me anything for my blue cash.

i got an impression intuitively, to wait a few days and call again, and let them know that i am good for it and that i had been reading on the credit card forums and that my 'friends' that i hang out with and have a fabulous lifestyle with (exagerration/lie) had successfully lowered more than one of their amex credit cards. anyhoo, the current miss puts me on hold for at least 5 min. (she must be talking with her supervisor)

when she comes back i initally hear, "mr. wagnon, we have great news for you, you have the lowest rate available". i had heard this crap before from barclaycard repeatedly as an excuse as to why they couldn't lower my ridiculous 21.74 apr.

BUT WHAT they actually said was, "mr. wagnon, we have great news for you, you NOW have the lowest rate available". your new standard variable apr is 6.99 + prime, making your now new current standard apr at

10.24%  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes!!!!!!

i am on TOP!!!!!!!

my patience has paid off!

anyway, i was expecting a 3% reduction, but i got a whopping 8%!

this is now not only my lowest standard apr card, but also my highest limit card as well.

IN FACT don't know of ANYONE ever that has a standard apr of 10.24 on their blue cash. i would like to know anyone that does.

btw, the centurion card is only 1% lower then my blue cash. (all good standing centurion cards standard apr are 9.24. centurion is actually a credit card with npsl in additon to an initial 7500 dollar fee)

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 1 of 44
43 REPLIES 43
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: SWEET APR!

@scottwagnon wrote:

i called amex on tuesday to lower my hilton hhonors apr. the lady on the phone was very nice, of course. i received an apr reduction from 15.24 to 12.24. exited from my success, i decided i would ask if she would also lower my amex blue cash everyday as well. she kindly checked and could not offer me anything for my blue cash.

i got an impression intuitively, to wait a few days and call again, and let them know that i am good for it and that i had been reading on the credit card forums and that my 'friends' that i hang out with and have a fabulous lifestyle with (exagerration/lie) had successfully lowered more than one of their amex credit cards. anyhoo, the current miss puts me on hold for at least 5 min. (she must be talking with her supervisor)

when she comes back i initally hear, "mr. wagnon, we have great news for you, you have the lowest rate available". i had heard this crap before from barclaycard repeatedly as an excuse as to why they couldn't lower my ridiculous 21.74 apr.

BUT WHAT they actually said was, "mr. wagnon, we have great news for you, you NOW have the lowest rate available". your new standard variable apr is 6.99 + prime, making your now new current standard apr at

10.24%  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i am on TOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MY PATIENCE HAS PAID OFF HERE!

anyway, i was expecting a 3% reduction, but i got a whopping 8%!

this is now not only my lowest standard apr card, but also my highest limit card as well.

IN FACT don't know of ANYONE ever that has a standard apr of 10.24 on their blue cash. i would like to know anyone that does.

btw, the centurion card is only 1% lower then my blue cash. (all good standing centurion cards standard apr are 9.24. centurion is actually a credit card with npsl in additon to an initial 7500 dollar fee)

Congrats!! Persistance pays off!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 44
CS800
Super Contributor

Never give up !!!

Message 3 of 44
Guava
Established Contributor

AMEX with 10.24% APR is sweet indeed! salivating haha

Starting Score (08/11/11): TU08: 643
Current Score: TU08: 741
Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 44
CS800
Super Contributor

Thats giving ideas for my BCE

Message 5 of 44
ferrari
Regular Contributor

Congrats on the nice APR

I've been wanting to do this but after giving it some thought I decided it's not worth it. I mean if you're not gonna carry balances (esp with AMEX you prob should avoid it). What is the appeal of the low APR?

Limits I understand because future lenders may give you higher limits based on current cards limits but APR doesn't really affect anything. And when u can get CU CCs with rediculously low APRs for purchases, cash advances and BTs for emergencies what do you need a lower APR AMEX for? Just trying to understand the significance of this

Message 6 of 44
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

i could be incorrect, but lenders can see standard purchase apr's. could be wrong. would like to know what JMN thinks.

Message 7 of 44
dharalex
Established Contributor

Sweet! Now I what strive for!

Starting Score: TU:676;EQ:648 8/2011
Current Score: TU:738; EQ: 739 ;EX: 729 6/2012
Goal Score: 760

Current Score: 800
Goal Score: 850

Message 8 of 44
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Wow!!! Congrats!!!!!

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 9 of 44
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

@tinuviel wrote:

Wow!!! Congrats!!!!!

thank you tinuviel.

i was hoping you would say, "congra" LOL...

Message 10 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.