Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secured card question

tag
SDMarik
Established Contributor

Secured card question

I have a capital one platinum secured card that I have had for a long time. When I started down my re-building journey, I made a deposit on the card of $2,000 in order to help my UTIL. I have not put anything on the card in a super long time, maybe once a year I will use it just for the sake of avoiding it being closed for non-use. 

Seeing as its a secured card with a deposit on file, would they ever just close it down and send me a check for $2,000 without me actually closing the account?

Additionally, if I do close the card would it negatively impact my AAOA? Or would the closed account just be on my report for 7 years still giving strength to my file. 

Thanks in advance!

"When prosperity comes, do not use all of it"
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Secured card question

I'm not sure what Cap One's policy is regarding account closures on secured cards, but if they *were* to close it/you were to close it, no, your AAoA wouldn't be affected, as closed accounts in good standing will remain on your reports for up to 10 years.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 3
SDMarik
Established Contributor

Re: Secured card question

Great, Thank you!

"When prosperity comes, do not use all of it"
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.