Not applicable

Secured cards

Do secured cards build your credit??? I am really trying to raise my score 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
tbque
Valued Contributor

Re: Secured cards

Yes they do. Keep the balances that report low or pay in full and manage them correctly. Optimal to have 3 revolving cards for maximum point scoring.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much 

Message 3 of 7
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Do secured cards build your credit??? I am really trying to raise my score 

Hi @Anonymous  and welcome to the forums! 

They do, scoring wise there is no difference between secured and non secured card 

If you have additional questions or need help planning future steps, you may want to consider visiting rebuilding section of the  forum. 

Message 4 of 7
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

use the search feature on myFICO Forums, search "Secure Cards" read, and read.

try to find the good ones, Discover Comes to Mind,

also cards that will Graduate from Secured to unsecured,

and try to get something that might give you a cashback bonus.

I do Not recommend Credit One.

quick search results:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=location,dateRangeType&q=best%...

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP it really depends on you overall credit profile.
Let’s say you already have 3 credit cards and you open another one then it won’t help. What helps is having an installment line on your credit.
If your credit cards report high UTI then simply bringing that down will help a lot.
Experian has a new feature Boost. It simply reports your phone, utility or cable bill and raises your scores a little. So let us know if you are rebuilding or starting you credit journey
Message 6 of 7
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Yes, secured cards build credit the same as any credit card.

However, we'd need to know more about your situation to give specific advice. If you already have several credit cards, you may not need more.

Assuming you have no cards or at least under three cards, most would suggest you ultimately get to three cards. It is often a good idea to space out new accounts a bit rather than get them all at once, though again, there are exceptions.

My generic suggestion for the first cards to get would be Citi secured, because it is easy to get. You cannot increase deposit/credit line later on this card, so go with the most that is comfortable for you. Let it report, and then check prequalification for Discover secured. If you prequalify, and you probably will, get that. You can add to the deposit/credit limit after a month, so no pressure to make a large deposit. Then, if you shop much on Amazon, I would apply for an Amazon Store Card. If you aren't approved for unsecured, you will probably get secured. The reason I suggest these particular cards is that they will all eventually graduate to unsecured. Not all secured cards do. The reason this is beneficial is that it means you can keep the accounts open longterm. If a secured card does not graduate, you will eventually close it to get your deposit back. Account age is important in your credit score in the long run.

If you live in an area with TD Bank, that is a good secured card, but you must open a savings account in person at a TD Bank branch to get one. It is a 3/2/1 rewards card that graduates. Bank of America has a secured card that graduates.

Avoid secured cards with annual fees unless you can't qualify for anything I listed here. If that is the case, get one card like that  (for example, Open Sky) and wait a month or two, and you will probably start qualifying for the cards I listed earlier.

It almost goes without saying, but whatever card(s) you get, you want to pay your balance in full every month to avoid paying interest and building up debt, and also, your credit will be better in any given month/reporting period if you are using under 9% of your available credit. For example, if you have a card with a $1000 limit, your credit will be better if you have a balance of under $90 at the time your statement cuts. Many people on MyFICO make multiple payments per month to keep utilization low. Your credit scores have no "memory" of utilization prior to the current time, so if you are over 9% at some point, it's not the end of the world, just get under 9% before applying for something you're not sure you will get. There are some more details to how this works (google "AZEO method" if interested), but the short version is, make sure you pay in time and avoid maxing out cards.

Just my opinion. Good luck!

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.