Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secured vs unsecured scenario

tag
mademan0890
Valued Member

Secured vs unsecured scenario

Person A has a secured CC(200$ limit) Person B has an unsecured CC(2000$ limit). They both use the card in the exact same manner as far as keeping the UTL under 10% and paying on time. Do these different types of CCs impact your credit report and score differently? 

Starting Score: 534
Current Score: 665
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

Re: Secured vs unsecured scenario

@mademan0890 wrote:

Person A has a secured CC(200$ limit) Person B has an unsecured CC(2000$ limit). They both use the card in the exact same manner as far as keeping the UTL under 10% and paying on time. Do these different types of CCs impact your credit report and score differently? 

My experience says both yes and no; low limit secured versus mid-sized limit unsecured makes no difference as both impact your credit rating and credit reports equally, however, your credit worthiness is an entirely different matter.  When applying for new credit, say after having had your card for some number of months, there is lots of anecdotal evidence to suggest a new lender would look much more favorably on someone correctly managing a card with a $2,000 limit versus a $200 limit, and that in turn will most likely mean a higher starting limit on the new approval.

FWIW, I started with a low limit CapOne secured card and found it to be basically unusable due to the low limit; I closed it after less than 7 weeks and opened up a secured card with a high(ish) limit of $5,000; that second card turned out to be the springboard for all of the cards I've received since.

Chapter 13:

• Burned: AMEX, Chase, Citi, Wells Fargo, and South County Bank (now Bank of Southern California)
  • Filed: 26-Feb-2015
  • MoC: 01-Mar-2015
  • 1st Payment (posted): 23-Mar-2015
  • Last Payment (posted): 07-Feb-2020
  • Discharged: 04-Mar-2020
  • Closed: 23-Jun-2020

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!

In the proverbial sock drawer:
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.