Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeking clarification

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Seeking clarification

The AmEx rewards offers "welcome bonuses" as follows:

"Welcome offer not available to applicants who have or have had this Card or previous versions of the American Express® Green Card"

Anyone have experience with this?  If I have another amex card am I disqualified or does it apply only to previous Green Cards? And "previous versions"?  Had a green card in 1981. Do you think that counts? Whether I get the bonus or not isn't a dealbreaker. It's not why I got the card. But if it's available I might charge some stuff (rent) to the card where I would normally just bank transfer just to clear the threshold. Nice to know.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Seeking clarification

@Anonymous wrote:

"Welcome offer not available to applicants who have or have had this Card or previous versions of the American Express® Green Card"

Anyone have experience with this?  If I have another amex card am I disqualified or does it apply only to previous Green Cards? And "previous versions"?  Had a green card in 1981. Do you think that counts? Whether I get the bonus or not isn't a dealbreaker. It's not why I got the card. But if it's available I might charge some stuff (rent) to the card where I would normally just bank transfer just to clear the threshold. Nice to know.

Thanks.

Where did you see this message, when you applied or just in the terms?    When you actually apply, Amex may give a popup indicating that you will not be eligible for the welcome offer and ask if you want to continue.   If you get this popup you (almost certainly) won't get the bonus.   If you don't get the popup, you are much more likely to, even if your past history appears to count you out.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have heard rumors that lifetime language in effect is more like 7 years. If it's been since 1981, I would say it's more than likely they'll give it to you unless you get the no SUB pop up when you go to apply. 

Message 3 of 6
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Yes the lifetime language only applies to that one product (including renaming, product changes, upgrades, etc.).   The current Green Card would not have been the one you had before unless you product changed in the early 2000s or later, as it is a renaming of "The American Express Card Now with Membership Rewards" introduced about 19 or 20 years ago.  Also agree that in practice, "lifetime" is far less.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks.

Where did you see this message, when you applied or just in the terms?    When you actually apply, Amex may give a popup indicating that you will not be eligible for the welcome offer and ask if you want to continue.   If you get this popup you (almost certainly) won't get the bonus.   If you don't get the popup, you are much more likely to, even if your past history appears to count you out.

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks.

Thanks all.  I didn't see a popup, so hopefully I'll get the bonus. As mentioned, it's not a dealbreaker. I'm more interested in subsidizing transit and parking.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just as a side note, I think it's always a good idea to get a screen shot of said offer to assist in case of any shenanigans later surrounding the SUB.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.