cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting your *2022* Card Strategy

collics
Established Contributor

Re: Setting your *2022* Card Strategy

1. Garden for a full year

 

2. Get all credit lines to at minimum $2000 

 

Best chances: Apple Card and PayPal Credit

Maybes: Target, Discover

Won't hold my breath: Walmart/cap one, CITI, Dell

 

Further look ahead 2023: Apply for Chase Amazon and Navy Flagship 

BK 7 Discharged May 2014

FICO8s Dec 2019

FICO8s Nov 2 2021



Message 41 of 112
longtimelurker
Mega Contributor

Re: Setting your *2022* Card Strategy

As my dear [your choice of friendly authority figure here] used to say "Plans and strategies are for losers.  Live in the moment!"  So basically, if you see a new shiney that you WANT (need is far too high a threshold), go for it!   So for 2022, I will be going for the Plainsville Country FCU Reward Visa, flat 3.5%, no AF. 

 

 If and when it exists.

Message 42 of 112
Yasselife
Frequent Contributor

Re: Setting your *2022* Card Strategy

@Aim_High I came across some of your posts yesterday about your calculations of gas cards and other reviews, and man, you're very good with numbers... thank you for the contributions.

   My plan for next year is to prepare for a new car lease or buy the one I currently have, lease expires on July; by that time I'll be 11 months in the garden. I joined Penfed yesterday to start a relationship since I've heard they're good at car loans, plus I have an eye on the Platinum card. After that, If I come out out of the garden again (1yr) would be only to replace my starter cards for better products, say USAA cash rewards for the Amex version (5% on gas), Citi custom cash is tempting with the $300 bonus.

   One of the best things I expect to start the new year would be being debt free, by Feb 1st or maybe sooner.

   Treating Credit like a game as I've been doing isn't a good strategy, the collection hobby got to me and I've been tempted by doing app spree, but my conscience was strong enough to resist... I consulted myself about making the right choice(which are not always pleasant) before clicking apply; trying pre-approvals is like standing in front of the door before knocking, And I am glad I've done an about face every time... I must admit, not too happy about being disciplined lol.
   
   

   



Message 43 of 112
RSX
Valued Contributor

Re: Setting your *2022* Card Strategy

i am prepping for 2022 now - i have a Lease coming up in March, and plan to buyout the car for about $52k in Jan/Feb

 

so i am getting any of my 0% APR CC balances down to under 50% - my loans are already under 50%

 

i have a lot of new accts/inq aging off in Jan 2022 - which will help a lot

 

i dont think i will be getting another CC in 2022 

i will be applying for the USBank LOC right before the car loan (likely from PenFed)

 

depending on how the HSBC change happens, i may close that CC and LOC

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Dec 29/2020 EX. 729 EQ. 723 TU 746
Sept 9/2021 EX. 734 EQ. 737 TU 746
Inq. EX 5 EQ 2 TU 5 - - CC 4x24, 3x12, 0x6
Amex BCP $32k - Apple GS $19k - BMW/Elan $9k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Boundless $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $23k - HSBC Gold - $13k - Penfed Gold - $12.5k - USBank Cash+ -$24k - HSBC LOC - $13.5k - PenFed LOC - $20k
Message 44 of 112
Sionkado
Regular Contributor

Re: Setting your *2022* Card Strategy

What a great thread! 

2021 was a semi "enhancement" year for us. Added some cards and got lots of great SUB's, I think the lack of 2019 use really forced CC providers to up their game! 

We are moving to the UK next July, so I'm wholly focused on removing any card with FXF (foreign transaction fee). I want to try to PC my Affinity Premium to their Cash card (HP for that).

I also need to do a little "switcharoo" with Amex and my DW. She's the primary on the Platinum and I'm the primary on the Gold, we messed up the apps. Optimistically Amex will be cool with that. 

Contemplating bumping up my CSP to the Reserve and my Amex Hilton Surpass to the Aspire. I'm certain there will be benefit overlap, so I'll have to work out the details. 
I would like to pick up another chip and pin priority card. Eyeballing the Odyssey from First Tech. May app for that in the next week or so! 
May look at another PenFed card (likely the Platinum). 
Finally, will likely break up with Cap1. Have two really old crappy QS cards. Unless I pick up the SavorOne...

Message 45 of 112
4sallypat
Established Contributor

Re: Setting your *2022* Card Strategy

Thanks @Aim_High for this thread!

 

I enjoyed filling out my 2021 summary and have to thank everyone on this forum!

 

For 2022, I am forseeing home improvement loans/cards (Home Depot, Lowes, Floor & Decor, Appliance Connection)...

 

With the new house, I am driving further to work and now looking at an EV for driving solo on the carpool lanes.

Looking at the Ford F150 Lightning EV truck - probably either lease thru Ford Options or Ford Commercial / business.

 

Personal cards to app: PenFed Pathfinder, Amex BCE/BCP, WF Active Cash, BOTW Cash Back 3%.

Business cards to app: Amex Amazon Prime Business, FNBO Business, Torpago, Divvy.

Message 46 of 112
imaximous
Valued Contributor

Re: Setting your *2022* Card Strategy

For 2022, I don't think I need more cards or even want any from what's available at the moment. There's a rumor going around about a new Chase Ink card that's supposed to be premium product, but there's no info other than possibly by the end of the month or a bit later. They're saying it's probably going to be the biz version of the CSR, but pure speculation at the moment. I'm saving a slot for it just in case since I'm back at 4/24 right now.

My other goal is to requalify for Hyatt and Jetblue status, so I'll be putting a good amount of spend on those cards.

Then, I finally should be able to qualify for top tier AA status with the new AAdvantage program starting next year. I was never able to because credit card spend didn't count towards that, but that's changing. 

I'll try to get some CLIs here and there, and that's about it.

 

AMEX | BofA | Barclays | Cap One | Chase | Citi | Discover | GS | PenFed | SYNCB (PP MC, Lowe's, Amazon, PP Credit) | US Bank
Message 47 of 112
red259
Super Contributor

Re: Setting your *2022* Card Strategy


@imaximous wrote:

For 2022, I don't think I need more cards or even want any from what's available at the moment. There's a rumor going around about a new Chase Ink card that's supposed to be premium product, but there's no info other than possibly by the end of the month or a bit later. They're saying it's probably going to be the biz version of the CSR, but pure speculation at the moment. I'm saving a slot for it just in case since I'm back at 4/24 right now.

My other goal is to requalify for Hyatt and Jetblue status, so I'll be putting a good amount of spend on those cards.

Then, I finally should be able to qualify for top tier AA status with the new AAdvantage program starting next year. I was never able to because credit card spend didn't count towards that, but that's changing. 

I'll try to get some CLIs here and there, and that's about it.

 


A rumor where? That might influence me to stay in the garden depending on the details. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 48 of 112
simplynoir
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Setting your *2022* Card Strategy


@red259 wrote:

@imaximous wrote:

For 2022, I don't think I need more cards or even want any from what's available at the moment. There's a rumor going around about a new Chase Ink card that's supposed to be premium product, but there's no info other than possibly by the end of the month or a bit later. They're saying it's probably going to be the biz version of the CSR, but pure speculation at the moment. I'm saving a slot for it just in case since I'm back at 4/24 right now.

My other goal is to requalify for Hyatt and Jetblue status, so I'll be putting a good amount of spend on those cards.

Then, I finally should be able to qualify for top tier AA status with the new AAdvantage program starting next year. I was never able to because credit card spend didn't count towards that, but that's changing. 

I'll try to get some CLIs here and there, and that's about it.

 


A rumor where? That might influence me to stay in the garden depending on the details. 


Here you go

 

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-to-launch-new-business-credit-card-chase-ink-business-premier/

Message 49 of 112
red259
Super Contributor

Re: Setting your *2022* Card Strategy


@simplynoir wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@imaximous wrote:

For 2022, I don't think I need more cards or even want any from what's available at the moment. There's a rumor going around about a new Chase Ink card that's supposed to be premium product, but there's no info other than possibly by the end of the month or a bit later. They're saying it's probably going to be the biz version of the CSR, but pure speculation at the moment. I'm saving a slot for it just in case since I'm back at 4/24 right now.

My other goal is to requalify for Hyatt and Jetblue status, so I'll be putting a good amount of spend on those cards.

Then, I finally should be able to qualify for top tier AA status with the new AAdvantage program starting next year. I was never able to because credit card spend didn't count towards that, but that's changing. 

I'll try to get some CLIs here and there, and that's about it.

 


A rumor where? That might influence me to stay in the garden depending on the details. 


Here you go

 

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-to-launch-new-business-credit-card-chase-ink-business-premier/


Thanks. Seems interesting. Gotta look at my calendar to see when I go below 5/24. I think maybe in February so if there is a card launch the initial signup deal should hopefully still be running by then. May just go ahead and downgrade my ink preferred at this point to a no AF card and then close my ink unlimited where I already reduced the credit line in the past and don't even use. Worst case scenario I still have my CSP to transfer points and in the future I can just upgrade one of my non-AF inks to preferred if I need it. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 50 of 112
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.