Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shell Drive For Five

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Shell Drive For Five

I've been looking for a gas card lately and since the majority of my gas purchases are made at a Shell station (or Costco) and I probably would get denied by PenFed, I thought it would be a good idea to get a card through Shell.

After searching online the only card I could find was the "Drive for Five" card.  Here's the link: http://www.citibank.com/us/cards/shell/shell-crd.jsp

As a loyal customer you have the opportunity to save 5¢ per gallon on Shell Nitrogen Enriched gasolines or Shell diesel. Purchase at least 45 gallons of Shell gasoline or Shell diesel in a month and save 5¢ per gallon purchased that month - up to 100 gallons. You will receive statement credits based upon fuel purchases made with your Shell Drive for Five card.

There are several threads about a "Shell Gas Card" on these forums but is this the card they refer to or was there a better card before this one came around?  To be honest, this Drive for Five card doesn't sound that great to me unless I'm missing something.  

I purchase only 40-50 gallons of gas per month so this card is absolutely useless for me.  Is there another Shell card I'm missing?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Guava
Established Contributor

Re: Shell Drive For Five

If you fill up mostly at Shell then getting 5 cents back is better than nothing. Otherwise there are other credit cards that give some % back at gas station, like those from AMEX and Bank of America. BP Card from Chase has promotional 10% back on BP gas for 2 months, 5% after that i think

Starting Score (08/11/11): TU08: 643
Current Score: TU08: 741
Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@silver0187 wrote:

If you fill up mostly at Shell then getting 5 cents back is better than nothing. Otherwise there are other credit cards that give some % back at gas station, like those from AMEX and Bank of America. BP Card from Chase has promotional 10% back on BP gas for 2 months, 5% after that i think

Well, with this particular Shell card you need to purchase at least 45 gallons per month to get the 5 cents back.  I probably wouldn't get to that 45 gallon mark most months.  Plus, if they only gave you 5 cents back on gallons 46-100 I really wouldn't be getting anything because I almost never get more than 50 gallons per month.

Lately I've been using my AMEX Clear for gas but I know there are better "gas rewards" cards out there.  I may not get accepted for the PenFed one so I'm looking for the next best thing!

Message 3 of 5
Guava
Established Contributor

The score from your signature looks great, you can give BoA a try, their Cash Reward card gives 3% back on gas. You probably know all about Blue Cash from Amex. The Hilton Credit Card from Amex gives 6 reward points per $1 on gas groceries.

Starting Score (08/11/11): TU08: 643
Current Score: TU08: 741
Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@silver0187 wrote:

The score from your signature looks great, you can give BoA a try, their Cash Reward card gives 3% back on gas. You probably know all about Blue Cash from Amex. The Hilton Credit Card from Amex gives 6 reward points per $1 on gas groceries.

Yea the Blue Cash Everyday is a really nice card, but I got my Amex Clear just a few months ago (April) and I don't think Amex would accept me for a new card so soon.  Too bad the Clear isn't available for a PC Smiley Sad.  Thanks for the info about BoA, I'll look into that.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.