Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I close my discover card?

tag
johnnk
New Visitor

Should I close my discover card?

Whenever I have a problem, citi, chase, and amex fixes it within a few days or a week at most. Two months ago, I opened a dispute with discover, and it's still ongoing with no updates even though I provided the necessary information.
Should I just close my card? I've never had any late payments and I always pay full. I thought they would be more reliable especially since I've been a member for such a long time without any problems. I guess I just don't wanna be screwed over if I try to take advantage of any benefits such as extended warranty.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Chris679
Established Contributor

Re: Should I close my discover card?

No need to close it just don't use it if it's not meeting your needs.
Message 2 of 8
johnnk
New Visitor

I don't want to be reponsible if there's an unathorized charge or something. It's one of my oldest card so I'm hesistant to close it. And wouldn't they just close my account if I shred my card and stopped using it?

Message 3 of 8
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@johnnk wrote:

I don't want to be reponsible if there's an unathorized charge or something. It's one of my oldest card so I'm hesistant to close it. And wouldn't they just close my account if I shred my card and stopped using it?

No, they will not just close your account if you don't use it. If they did, it would be years down the road. There is no need to close the account at all. Just cut up the card and set your notifications to email you if there are ANY charges.

This is a very common mistake people make. Some argue that if you're not using it then it doesnt matter if its open or not. I take the stance that if it helps your overall utilization then why close it. Even if you did close it, the TL would still be calculated into your AAoA for the next 10 years.

I can only advise on what I would do. I am sure others will put in their 2 cents as well Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

If you have had it a long time, I would advise you to keep it just use it a few times a year to keep it active, as others have stated you can set alerts if you are concerned about unauhorized transactions.

Message 5 of 8
Lin55
Frequent Contributor

I would just cut it up or sock-drawer it. If there is no AF it's better to keep it open.

Message 6 of 8
BobbyFL
New Visitor

I'd keep it and use it for cash back, and use other cards for perks like extended warranty.Discover has a great rewards program.

Message 7 of 8
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

I have had experinece with unauthorized / fraudlent charges with Discover. I had an item appear on my bill  that was from a company I never heard of. I disputed the charge over the phone. I was transferred to the fraud deparrtment the charge was removed.  I was sent a new card and account number and all my history was transferred and the old account number was closed. Here is link you might find helpful

https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/member-benefits/security-center/keep-secure/understand-fraud.h...

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.