Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I request a CLI after AA?

tag
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Should I request a CLI after AA?

@Anonymous wrote:

The balance after the payment is $1900 with a $9300 limit. I also have $1065 coming off because some travel plans were cancelled due to Covid-19 and I am getting a refund. The balance at the time of the credit line reduction was almost $4000. You are right, the last few months my behavior has been that of a revolver but that has not always been the case. This month I will pay it down to zero and continue to pay it off every month. My Fico score is currently 690. It took a dip due to my overall utilization going just over 30%. That too will change by the end of my current statement period on all of my cards. 

And this is why I choose to carry large balances occasionally for extended periods of time or keep my cards near max before paying them off. I let the lender see there's nothing to panic about. Transactors that all of a sudden carry a balance are at a greater risk of AA then someone who carries a balance occasionally. 

Message 21 of 22
ChessChik47
Frequent Contributor

Re: Should I request a CLI after AA?

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The balance after the payment is $1900 with a $9300 limit. I also have $1065 coming off because some travel plans were cancelled due to Covid-19 and I am getting a refund. The balance at the time of the credit line reduction was almost $4000. You are right, the last few months my behavior has been that of a revolver but that has not always been the case. This month I will pay it down to zero and continue to pay it off every month. My Fico score is currently 690. It took a dip due to my overall utilization going just over 30%. That too will change by the end of my current statement period on all of my cards. 

And this is why I choose to carry large balances occasionally for extended periods of time or keep my cards near max before paying them off. I let the lender see there's nothing to panic about. Transactors that all of a sudden carry a balance are at a greater risk of AA then someone who carries a balance occasionally. 

I don't "carry" a balance (i.e. pay interest), but I definitely let my balances report naturally on at least 2 of 5 credit cards that I have.  Sometimes those balances are "high" (depends on if I've made a tax payment or some other large expense), but they get paid in full the next month.  I've yet to have  a problem with a creditor in regards to CLIs even when I am reporting a balance at the time of request.  The only time I "carry" a balance is if I'm on a 0% offer, but I'll still let the other credit cards report a balance naturally.  

I agree with your last statement...especially when those balances are carried for consecutive months and utilization appears to be going up.

Message 22 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.