cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So I'm being punished for paying more than the minimum?!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I'm being punished for paying more than the minimum?!!

I have an IKEA (GE Bank)card that only had a 900 limit. My house was broken into and I couldn't find the card so I reported it stolen (found it later under all the rubble). They lowered my limit to the amount owed on the card $120. I paid it off and requested a CLI. They denied me and said that they used the percentage of times payment greater than amount due and number of months this account has been open, (2007-2008). Are you serious?!

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: So I'm being punished for paying more than the minimum?!!

So could this be because I paid it off under the no interest for 2 years dealy? Is that why they're not playing nice?
Message 2 of 13
YoungEntrepeneur
Established Contributor

If you don't need or use the card much, I wouldn't worry about it. It sounds like one of those "out of the blue" reasons that they use all the time.
Message 3 of 13
stefanc
Regular Contributor

Did you make a number of payments during the promo period that were not more than the minimum due?

Trying to make sense of it...

For instance you made 2 payments that were more than the minimum due, and 10 that were just the minimum????????

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

No. I probably paid the minimum twice.  I have this thing about uneven numbers so if I have a balance of 534.00 I will send in 34.00 to make an even 500. Then I will send $50 payments to keep the number ending in 0. Smiley Happy Weird I know but it keeps me entertained.

Message 5 of 13
laz98
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

No. I probably paid the minimum twice.  I have this thing about uneven numbers so if I have a balance of 534.00 I will send in 34.00 to make an even 500. Then I will send $50 payments to keep the number ending in 0. Smiley Happy Weird I know but it keeps me entertained.

ha ha, i do this too!

Message 6 of 13
CHARGE_IT
Regular Contributor

@laz98 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

ha ha, i do this too!

I do this ..........three...................with everything.

Boy, am I busy.

CI

Message 7 of 13
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

I think we all have a bit of "balance OCD"!!  Smiley Very Happy

You're not alone!!!!  

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have an IKEA (GE Bank)card that only had a 900 limit. My house was broken into and I couldn't find the card so I reported it stolen (found it later under all the rubble). They lowered my limit to the amount owed on the card $120. I paid it off and requested a CLI. They denied me and said that they used the percentage of times payment greater than amount due and number of months this account has been open, (2007-2008). Are you serious?!

I believe you are interpretting this backwards.  They are "penalizing" you for not making a significantly higher-than-minimum payment on your account consistently.  That identifies you as a greater credit risk as it seems to indicate you don't have the funding to make significant payments.  This is usually not true; a lot of consumers take advantage of a low interest rate as long as possible and put their money towards other obligation... But it gives the CCC the impression that you are already at your financial limit.
Message 9 of 13
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

did you not use the account for some time, 124 is usually the cl GE accounts go to when they have not been used... if you push CLI it will be denied but if you call in and tell them you noticed it was decreased and you would like to use it, in my experience they will reset it on the spot to original cl
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.