cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So is Capital One Quicksilver Visa or Mastercard?

tag
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

Re: So is Capital One Quicksilver Visa or Mastercard?

@notmyrealname23 wrote:

@Horseshoez wrote:

@notmyrealname23, is the card you received in the mail yesterday a replacement card, or a newly issued card for a new account?  I'm betting the former, hence, it does not speak for itself.

Product change performed in 2021, a few weeks ago. The account number is the same, but the card isn't (different benefits).

Fair enough, given the account number didn't change, the new card, by definition, had to continue to be a Visa.  The fact remains, all new Quicksilver accounts as of at least 01-Jan-2021 are MasterCard.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 31 of 41
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@FinStar wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Horseshoez wrote:

@notmyrealname23 wrote:

@Horseshoez wrote:

Based upon all currently available metrics, I'm betting you PCed those cards prior to 2021. 

The VentureOne was switched over a few weeks ago, well into 2021. It's still a Visa.

But aren't all Venture cards still Visa anyway?

I wouldn't say "all" Venture cards. I'm fairly sure there are some in circulation that are MC/WMC/WE.

When they were flip-flopping networks (back in the day and before account combos ceased - pre 2021), I had a Venture WMC that eventually converted to WEMC.  I'm fairly sure it would've stayed as WE today despite Capital One switching Venture CCs to V/VS.

+1

Just chiming-in that my current QuickSilver WEMC started life as (i.e. was first approved as) a Venture WEMC. Smiley Happy

For our newbies, there used to be jokes on the forum about Capital One "FrankenCards" since it was possible to end up with nearly any combination of various products with both MC or Visa via PCs regardless of what they were currently offering or had ever offered.

I actually have one of these 'FrankenCards' myself in a Savor Platinum MasterCard, which as far as I know has never been offered as a new account (I think all new Savor accounts have been WEMC).  I've also seen a couple of Savor Visa cards around the forums that were attained by doing product changes, and I'm fairly certain that a Savor Visa has never been available with a new application.  (For those who are curious, my Savor started off as an Orchard Bank MasterCard years ago and is grandfathered with no AF.)

TL;DR:  Capital One isn't know to change a card's network, with one notable exception (see below).

@Horseshoez wrote:

@notmyrealname23 wrote:

Both. I have changed two cards (a Platinum and a VentureOne, originally a Venture) into Quicksilvers. Ventures are issued as Visas. Smiley Wink

Based upon all currently available metrics, I'm betting you PCed those cards prior to 2021.  The question in my mind remains, come card replacement time, will they be reissued as a MasterCard (which will require a new credit card number), or will they continue to be issued as a Visa?

I try to never speak definitively (since things are always changing) but I've never seen or heard of Capital One changing a card from Visa to MasterCard or from MasterCard to Visa.  You can't even request it.

The only time I've seen them change a card's network is when they buy a card portfolio from another bank that includes cards running on Discover or Amex... those do get changed.  An example of this would be when Capital One bought HSBC Finance Corp's portfolio back in 2012/2013... my Direct Rewards Discover card was changed to a Platinum MasterCard (which I promptly closed).

FrankenCard.jpg

Smiley Very Happy smiley-laughing021.gif

Message 32 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Horseshoez wrote:

My wife and I both got approved for a Quicksilver card this year, my credit limit is under $5,000 and is simply a "World" card, hers has a limit over $5,000 and is a "World Elite" card.

That's interesting.  I got approved for a WEMC Quicksilver for only $750 by accident (I was just trying to PC my Platinum to QS).  My Fico wasn't that great at the time, maybe 620-640, but my Vantage score was much higher, around 740.  The only cards I had open were a 2-year old Discover it, and the 1-year old Platinum card I thought I was PC'ing.  Makes me wonder what the criteria is for issuing someone a World MC vs World Elite.

Message 33 of 41
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Horseshoez wrote:

My wife and I both got approved for a Quicksilver card this year, my credit limit is under $5,000 and is simply a "World" card, hers has a limit over $5,000 and is a "World Elite" card.

That's interesting.  I got approved for a WEMC Quicksilver for only $750 by accident (I was just trying to PC my Platinum to QS).  My Fico wasn't that great at the time, maybe 620-640, but my Vantage score was much higher, around 740.  The only cards I had open were a 2-year old Discover it, and the 1-year old Platinum card I thought I was PC'ing.  Makes me wonder what the criteria is for issuing someone a World MC vs World Elite.

Interesting data point.  My FICO scores were better than yours when I applied, but my Vantage scores were well lower; not sure if that was the difference (I kinda-doubt it).

Message 34 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Horseshoez wrote:

Interesting data point.  My FICO scores were better than yours when I applied, but my Vantage scores were well lower; not sure if that was the difference (I kinda-doubt it).

The only thing keeping my Fico scores low is an old medical collection from 2018 for $295 (I thought my insurance covered it) and a Kohls card charged off back in 2015 (that only shows under closed accounts).  Everything else is pristine, no late payments, 1-2 inquiries, no new accounts, low utilization, etc etc.  My Cap1 Platinum was my primary spending card for bill pay at the time, since my Discover card was lost/stolen and the replacement they sent me had no CVV on the back.  I wonder if the fact I was using it frequently and paying it off increased some internal metric they might use, idk.

Message 35 of 41
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Horseshoez wrote:

I think as benefits get slowly nerfed on a lot of these cards, having the different tiers does not mean as much as it used to. I think there will be more cards issued with the higher tier network category to gain additional swipe fees. Other banks do it as well. It's a common thing to see a USB Cash+ Visa Signature with issued with a $500 SL, or a Citi DC WEMC issued with a $500 SL. Profile and SL seem to be becoming less relevant as to what tier they issue the card in. 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 36 of 41
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@Ficoproblems247 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Horseshoez wrote:

I think as benefits get slowly nerfed on a lot of these cards, having the different tiers does not mean as much as it used to. I think there will be more cards issued with the higher tier network category to gain additional swipe fees. Other banks do it as well. It's a common thing to see a USB Cash+ Visa Signature with issued with a $500 SL, or a Citi DC WEMC issued with a $500 SL. Profile and SL seem to be becoming less relevant as to what tier they issue the card in. 

The single most meaningful difference (for us) between my World card and my wife's World Elite card is the mobile phone protection insurance.  We immediately started paying the family plan with her card.  Smiley Happy

Message 37 of 41
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Horseshoez wrote:

@notmyrealname23 wrote:

Both. I have changed two cards (a Platinum and a VentureOne, originally a Venture) into Quicksilvers. Ventures are issued as Visas. Smiley Wink

Based upon all currently available metrics, I'm betting you PCed those cards prior to 2021.  The question in my mind remains, come card replacement time, will they be reissued as a MasterCard (which will require a new credit card number), or will they continue to be issued as a Visa?

Typically, once a card is with a certain network, it will stay with that network no matter what happens to the card. That being said, I once had a platinum visa and received a letter from cap1 that it was being converted to mastercard on renewal, and it was. That was years and years ago though. I remember I wasn't happy because I was a visa fanboy for some reason. I didn't know anything about credit, just thought visa was better than mastercard.

Message 38 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ficoproblems247 wrote:

Yeah I've seen that, too.  But I feel like Visa Signature stays true to the $5k+ rule more often than Mastercard does.  Out of all the "elite" card tiers that had low-SL's that I've seen, maybe 3-5% were Visa Signature and the rest were WEMC.  

Message 39 of 41
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Ficoproblems247 wrote:

Yeah I've seen that, too.  But I feel like Visa Signature stays true to the $5k+ rule more often than Mastercard does.  Out of all the "elite" card tiers that had low-SL's that I've seen, maybe 3-5% were Visa Signature and the rest were WEMC.  

I just noticed this week my TDCash card, which had a starting limit of $5,000 is not, contrary to TDBank's documentation, a Signature Visa.  I imagine this is because my card started out as a secured credit card with a $5,000 security deposit.  Annoying, but there it is; fortunately my PenFed Platinum Rewards card is a Signature Visa, so I'm good to go.  Smiley Happy

Message 40 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.