Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some basic CC advice needed

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Some basic CC advice needed

@Anonymous wrote:

You are on a good path, i would go with the Discover it card.

Congrats and welcome to the forums

Personally, I feel that it is more beneficial to branch out from the rotating 5% categories.   Although it is nice when you have 2 categories which you use, when they overlap you get a basic 1% on everything else.

Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

The card you choose should benefit you the most. You have good suggestions on that already. My question is do you have any installment loans? If not a share secured loan from a credit union will certainly give your score a nice lil boost. Alliant CU may have the best one, 4years, 500 bucks 2.9 percent currently, and they pay .9% interest on the deposit funds. Yournet cost will be about 25 bucks over the 4 year loan term. I picked up 25 points for adding it to a file with no installment loans. Payments on my silly little loan are 11.02.

Message 12 of 19
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@Seta wrote:

Hi, never posted here before, looking for some advice as to getting another card or two to help build my credit.

Right now I just have two cards, a CapOne platinum with 0 balance I never use (this was my first card when rebuilding credit) and a Chase Freedom I put lots of minor stuff on and pay off every month, rolling over a 10% balance. My credit was steadily going up for awhile then it stopped at 675. There's so many cards out there I don't know where to start.. And I don't want to be turned down for one. Any advice?

Also am I doing the right thing by carrying over a 10-15% balance every month on a card or should I be paying them off every month?

Thanks

What is the Credit limit on each card, and what balance is reporting on each? When did you open each card (ie, how old are they)?

What else is on your credit reports? Any baddies? Any Morgage, Car loan, Installment loan, student loan, etc?

The Credit Karma scores are useless (use that site for supplimental info about what is on your credit reports, etc). You say your FICO score is 675, but where did you get that score from, and which credit bureau data was used (Experian, Equifax, Transunion)?

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 13 of 19
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@Seta wrote:

Thanks for all the advice.

I just found out about creditkarma a few min ago, and on there I have a 726 TU and a 729 Equifax.. but it's also showing TU is still reporting a collection that I paid off 2 years ago, so now I have to take care of that. Smiley Indifferent

I am definitely going to try to upgrade my CapOne, with the CreditKarma scores above do I have a good shot of getting approved for the Sallie Mae card?

Other sites with fake credit scores, that can be useful for looking at some of your credit report data, would be CreditSesame.com, credit.com quizzle.com, wisepiggy.com

You need to learn how to manipulate the usage of your credit cards to optimise your FICO score. Do this only when you plan to apply for more credit.  http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/How-do-I-play-the-1-9-Utilization-Game-Please-...

You should have at least 3 credit cards. You also want to aim for a few bank cards with at least a $10,000 credit limit (premium bankcard accounts) as lack of such accounts is another reason that FICO can give as to why your credit score isn't higher.

And if you don't have credit other than credit cards, you should consider getting 1 or 2 small secured instalment loans.  http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/A-Signature-loan-to-improve-my-credit-score/m-...

For Amazon.com purchases, you want either a US Bank Cash+ card (apply in a US Bank, or call 888-444-2265) and/or a Sallie Mae Rewards Mastercard: https://www.salliemae.com/credit-cards/sallie-mae-card/

Sallie-BCP3.png

restaurant.png

Total $443,800
Message 14 of 19
Seta

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@Seta wrote:

Hi, never posted here before, looking for some advice as to getting another card or two to help build my credit.

Right now I just have two cards, a CapOne platinum with 0 balance I never use (this was my first card when rebuilding credit) and a Chase Freedom I put lots of minor stuff on and pay off every month, rolling over a 10% balance. My credit was steadily going up for awhile then it stopped at 675. There's so many cards out there I don't know where to start.. And I don't want to be turned down for one. Any advice?

Also am I doing the right thing by carrying over a 10-15% balance every month on a card or should I be paying them off every month?

Thanks

What is the Credit limit on each card, and what balance is reporting on each? When did you open each card (ie, how old are they)?

What else is on your credit reports? Any baddies? Any Morgage, Car loan, Installment loan, student loan, etc?

The Credit Karma scores are useless (use that site for supplimental info about what is on your credit reports, etc). You say your FICO score is 675, but where did you get that score from, and which credit bureau data was used (Experian, Equifax, Transunion)?

- 2500 limit on the CapOne, zero balance.. I don't use this card anymore but with the advice in this thread i'm going to try to PC it to a Quicksilver. I've had this card since 10/2011. It was given with a 1000 limit.

- 5000 limit on the Chase, i've been rolling over 400-500 balance every month because that's what I always heard was optimal to do vs paying it off monthly. I've had this card one year, 2/2014. It was given with a 4000 limit.

- I also have one car loan paid off a few years ago with zero late payments, and another one started a year after.. also no late payments I have no late payments anywhere on anything. No other types of loans, no mortgage etc.

- I do still have that collection showing that Transunion is reporting and they shouldn't be because it was paid off years ago. I did go to file for an inquiry yesterday and found out that it's actually going to just drop off my report in 4 months anyway, so now not sure if I should bother I might just wait the couple months for it to go away. 

- I did pay for the quarterly monitoring at some point so that 673 is being reported by Transunion on this site as of 11/7/14.

Message 15 of 19
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@Seta wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@Seta wrote:

Thanks

- 2500 limit on the CapOne, zero balance.. I don't use this card anymore but with the advice in this thread i'm going to try to PC it to a Quicksilver. I've had this card since 10/2011. It was given with a 1000 limit.

- 5000 limit on the Chase, i've been rolling over 400-500 balance every month because that's what I always heard was optimal to do vs paying it off monthly. I've had this card one year, 2/2014. It was given with a 4000 limit.

- I also have one car loan paid off a few years ago with zero late payments, and another one started a year after.. also no late payments I have no late payments anywhere on anything. No other types of loans, no mortgage etc.

- I do still have that collection showing that Transunion is reporting and they shouldn't be because it was paid off years ago. I did go to file for an inquiry yesterday and found out that it's actually going to just drop off my report in 4 months anyway, so now not sure if I should bother I might just wait the couple months for it to go away. 

- I did pay for the quarterly monitoring at some point so that 673 is being reported by Transunion on this site as of 11/7/14.

You might want to use the CapOne card occasionally so it looks like an active card, but definitely pay it off completely a few days before the statement date. The Chase card pay it off a few days before statement date except for a small amount, like 1%, and then pay in full after the statement date.

Having an open Car loan is good. Get a product change on that CapOne to a Quicksilver ( and definitely NOT Quicksilver One, or any other card with an annual fee).

If you can wait until you get that collection removed, that will be best. When you do start applying for cards, you might want to apply for another Chase card, such as the Chase Sapphire Preferred, it has a good signup bonus, assuming you can spend enough to qualify for it. Then just shy of a year later you stop using it for at least 3 months, then ask for the credit limit to be moved to the Freedom and close the Sapphire Preferred before the annual fee is due. You generally get good credit limits from Chase on new cards, but as you saw, they apparently gave you only $1000 on a credit limit increase.

Total $443,800
Message 16 of 19
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Seta wrote:

You never need to carry a balance to have a balance report for scoring purposes.  Carry and report are two entirely different things.

If you need to adjust the reported balance then do so prior to report date (statement date for most cards) but then pay off the remaining statement balance by the due date.

@Seta wrote:

but it's also showing TU is still reporting a collection that I paid off 2 years ago, so now I have to take care of that.

Definitely address derogs as they can hold your scores down.  Hit the Rebuilding subforum to see what you can do.

@Seta wrote:

I have too few accounts and a short credit history even tho the age on my oldest account is 9 years.

It's not the oldest that matters but your Average Age of Accounts (AAoA).  Even with a 9 year account you could have a low AAoA.

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Seta wrote:

Thanks for all the advice.

I just found out about creditkarma a few min ago, and on there I have a 726 TU and a 729 Equifax.. but it's also showing TU is still reporting a collection that I paid off 2 years ago, so now I have to take care of that. Smiley Indifferent

I am definitely going to try to upgrade my CapOne, with the CreditKarma scores above do I have a good shot of getting approved for the Sallie Mae card?

Please unfind out about credit karma. its fake and its frustrating if you care about your journey. the credit scores here or from cards like barclay rewards or walmart are much more helpful.

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

CK is great for tracking what's happening to your credit report. However, the scores are Vantage3.0, which is not what most companies use. I would recommend not trusting the scores, especially once you establish yourself. That said, that fact that it shows a collection is probably legit, and you should investigate. 

I want to clarify the whole "don't carry a balance thing," because, if you hang around here long enough, somebody is going to mention optimization. You need to have at least one card show a balance as of each statement cut. If you do not, it looks like you aren't using your credit, which can severely hamper your score. However, that is not the same thing as carrying a balance. If at all possible, you want to pay the balance in full each month by the due date, so that there is no carried balance earning interest. 

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.