Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some research before I pull the trigger... Looking for first major CC

tag
welshdave86
Valued Member

Some research before I pull the trigger... Looking for first major CC

My signature should show my current scores and UTL, as of today, and for the near future. My scores have recently increased quite a bit and I'm closing in on the 720 I'm been aiming for.

The negative aspects are the short history - just turned 2 years on my Auto loan, which in turn has 6 inquiries alone just for the auto. I'm told this doesnt matter as much because consumers shop around for rates before buying a car so that shouldnt matter.

I'm looking at applying for the Chase Freedom (I have a pre-qual when I log into my Chase online banking) and/or a Discover card, after seeing good things about the 'It' card on these forums.

What can anybody tell me about my chances of being approved?  My banker friend at Chase thinks I should be fine and the Recon dept certainly seems like a good alternate if I come unstuck - i'm basically eager to apply but don't want a HP for no return....

Thanks for your time ladies & gents!

EQ - 735
EX - 717
TU - 707

Chase Freedom $7000 | Disover IT $5500 Capital One Quicksilver $1200 | Amazon Store Card $650 2% UTL | Ford Credit Auto Loan - 2 years old | AAoA - 18 months
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Some research before I pull the trigger... Looking for first major CC

From what I have read about Chase you are probably fine and yes they do have one of the best recon departments in the business. Good luck Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 11
RockySC
Established Member

I think you'll be good for both the Chase Freedom and the Discover It. Imagine most would agree.

There is a great $150 bonus for Discover It right now. The Chase Freedom bonus is just $100 right now - it was $200 when I signed up just over a month ago, and has been more than that in the past if that matters to you.

Message 3 of 11
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@RockySC wrote:

I think you'll be good for both the Chase Freedom and the Discover It. Imagine most would agree.

+1

Message 4 of 11
welshdave86
Valued Member

So I should be good for a decent limit you think?
EQ - 735
EX - 717
TU - 707

Chase Freedom $7000 | Disover IT $5500 Capital One Quicksilver $1200 | Amazon Store Card $650 2% UTL | Ford Credit Auto Loan - 2 years old | AAoA - 18 months
Message 5 of 11
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Any negs?

Message 6 of 11
samm90
New Contributor

Get both if you can get the sign up bonuses on both in 3 months. The 5% categories alternate well with the 2 cards.
Discover Tu 730(2/14) DCU Eq 725(2/28)

Bouncing back from new accts and inqs. Hope to be back over 760 soon.
Message 7 of 11
welshdave86
Valued Member

No negs, just short history of 2 years- never missed a payment...
EQ - 735
EX - 717
TU - 707

Message 8 of 11
efranklin23
Valued Contributor

@samm90 wrote:
Get both if you can get the sign up bonuses on both in 3 months. The 5% categories alternate well with the 2 cards.

+1

AMEX BCE (30K), DISCOVER IT (29.5K), NFCU CASH REWARDS (25K), BOA TRAVEL REWARDS (15K), USAA VISA (13K), CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE (13K), COMMENCE MASTERCARD (7.5K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), TFCU CC (2.5K), TARGET REDCARD (900)
Message 9 of 11
welshdave86
Valued Member

What do u mean by 'in 3 months'? U mean 'for 3 months'? Thanks Smiley Wink
EQ - 735
EX - 717
TU - 707

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.