Re: Spending only in reward categories

Competition is a wonderful thing!!
Signature needs updating
Message 51 of 59
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Looking at credit card lineups, to me the DC looks like Citi is making a play to make some lineup changes and try to get some market share. I do have access to some Citi exec level people at my 2nd job, and it seems to be a theme for them. I would expect in the next 24-36 months to see a bit of a shake up in Citi's card lineup. Scroll through some of the nice longer posts in this and other forums, and see how many people have multiple Chase cards. Then count the number with multiple Amex cards, capital one cards, and then count the folks carrying multiple Citi cards......... I see the DC as maybe not quite a loss leader, but a way to get into people's wallets. I guess when the second job fires up again in 6 weeks or so, I will have to put a few guys' feet to the fire Smiley Tongue And maybe use a few of the chase guys to keep the fire going.

Hadn't thought much about it before, but I have more credit cards from Citi than from any other issuer!

Message 52 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Looking at credit card lineups, to me the DC looks like Citi is making a play to make some lineup changes and try to get some market share. I do have access to some Citi exec level people at my 2nd job, and it seems to be a theme for them. I would expect in the next 24-36 months to see a bit of a shake up in Citi's card lineup. Scroll through some of the nice longer posts in this and other forums, and see how many people have multiple Chase cards. Then count the number with multiple Amex cards, capital one cards, and then count the folks carrying multiple Citi cards......... I see the DC as maybe not quite a loss leader, but a way to get into people's wallets. I guess when the second job fires up again in 6 weeks or so, I will have to put a few guys' feet to the fire Smiley Tongue And maybe use a few of the chase guys to keep the fire going.

Hadn't thought much about it before, but I have more credit cards from Citi than from any other issuer!

Have, or have had? Smiley Wink

Message 53 of 59
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Both!   I am now the proud owner of 4 Citi cards.  Well, the owner anyway.  Vs three from Chase and three from Amex

Message 54 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Both!   I am now the proud owner of 4 Citi cards.  Well, the owner anyway.  Vs three from Chase and three from Amex

you are certainly the minority. And if you look at the citi lineup, there are plenty of focused cards, but for average joe like me really only the DC is a viable option. I think I could come up with more BOA cards that would serve a purpose for me, and that is kinda scary. Hell even US Bank...The guys I work for at the country club seem to be more middle america focused than I would ever have believed from Citi. Then again I just always kinda figured Citi was a bit ivory towerish after they rejected me opening a savings account with 400 bucks when I was 16.

Message 55 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

you are certainly the minority. And if you look at the citi lineup, there are plenty of focused cards, but for average joe like me really only the DC is a viable option. I think I could come up with more BOA cards that would serve a purpose for me, and that is kinda scary. Hell even US Bank...The guys I work for at the country club seem to be more middle america focused than I would ever have believed from Citi. Then again I just always kinda figured Citi was a bit ivory towerish after they rejected me opening a savings account with 400 bucks when I was 16.

I can think of at least two permanent cards of theirs I would keep. And two-three that I would churn.

Message 56 of 59
Legen_dary
Frequent Contributor

I only use my SM for Amazon purchases, and I haven't used it at all while I'm working on the spend req for my new cards. I don't think Barclays likes me, so I doubt they will give me a CLI.. like ever.

Message 57 of 59
mikelo22
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm in a similar boat. I don't have more Citi Cards necessarily (Two cards from Citi/Chase/Amex each), but my two Citi Cards are by far my "Go-To" spending cards.

But I really think if Citi wanted to compete with Chase/Amex by getting more of their cards in people's wallets, they wouldn't have gutted the Dividend. They should revamp its categories, provide TY Points instead of straight CB, and allow for the transfer of the TYP to a TY Premier or Prestige for travel rewards. That would really put Chase's feet to the fire because it directly competes with the infamous CSP-Freedom combo.

Message 58 of 59
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

Most people with a DC seem to have less than that. I see a lot of 1-3K. 

Always consider your sources.  Sites like this have a lot of builders/rebuilders.

Message 59 of 59
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.