Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spree (or not to) Strategy.

tag
JNA1
Valued Contributor

Spree (or not to) Strategy.

I have found 2 or 3 cards that I’d really like to have in my arsenal, but I’m not sure what approach to take. I have my mortgage, which is 17 years old, but all my other credit accounts are no more than 2 years, which has my AAoA at 3 yrs 10 mos. I’m on pace to have my house paid off early in about 3.5/4.0 years from now at the latest (Lord willing and the creek don’t rise). When that falls off, my credit profile will be perpetually new for a while it would seem.
So I guess my question is should do a mini spree now, take the hit, and let them age the 3.5/4 years before my mortgage is paid off, or acquire them over time?
If it matters, we both have low mileage newer cars, and we typically drive a car/truck for 10 years or so, so there is plan for an auto loan or anything foreseen that we plan on buying before the house is paid off. In fact, if possible, I’m going to try to pay it sooner than 3.5 years, but 3.5 is very realistic, achievable goal.

The 2 or 3 cards I’ve decided I’d like to have is AMEX BCP (for grocery CB and growth), The Sync 2% Mastercard (for everyday purchases and growth), and MAYBE the BB&T Cash Rewards cards because it’s a SP approval and the additional 10% CB when depositing in a BB&T works because we bank at BB&T.
Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Spree (or not to) Strategy.

Once closed, an installment loan (mortgage) can stay up to 10 years on your credit report. Same for auto loans. Thus, counting towards your AAoA until removed.

How old are your current cards?
Message 2 of 7
JNA1
Valued Contributor

16 months and 10 months on my current cards.

I wasn’t aware that closed accounts counted towards AAoA. I didn’t have anything but my mortgage on my credit report for almost 15 years. We paid for everything with cash for many years.

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 3 of 7
NRB525
Super Contributor

With a Credit One card, and a mortgage, I would suggest, over the course of several months:

Get the BCP if the grocery category works at the stores you shop. It won't code at most WalMart, Target, and for me Fred Meyer is not grocery. Regardless of starting limit, this can grow to a high CL.  

The Sync Mastercard may be fine. I don't know the card but 2% everything is useful.  

Close the Credit One soon after that, to reduce fees. 

The BB&T may be a good card, though I would stretch the timing out to be the last of them. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 7
JNA1
Valued Contributor

The Credit One card is actually not mine, it is my wife’s card and I am a authorized user, but I’m going to take myself off of it. We got it just to build her credit since she had no past credit at all.

CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Being as you already have everything in order, and have no immediate plans for an Auto Loan, Mortgage, Personal Loan. Then i don't see the harm in an app spree, that way they all can age together. 

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would agree - try for all three. When each issuer pulls your credit - the AAoA will be a bit higher. If you wait for the new account to hit your credit report - AAoA will come down. 

Plus when you do get the house paid off - the, ideally, 3 accounts have aged and CL's have increased leaving you stronger in the long run. 

That is my 2 cents anyway.....

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.